Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 41 reviews
on May 19, 2013
Many of us find ourselves rushing through our lives and avoiding coming to terms with time. We alternate between groaning about being bored and disengaged and wishing we had more time in this life to accomplish our wants and desires. With this book, Lama Surya Das offers simple Buddhist solutions that can easily be incorporated as part of your religious practice. These require intention and practice. We must just accept and be. Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now is a journey through a myriad of practices that bring us back to ourselves and our true relationship with time. Lama Surya Das will help you transform your relationship with time so that hustle and bustle are no longer part of your life. Your learn to "just be" in a world that is often a blur around you. After having finished this book, my own perspective of time, in general and specific to my own life has been transformed. Taking its suggested practices means I can learn to just be and I will have the right relationship with my world and my time in it. This thoughtful book will inspire you to reinvent your own relationship with yourself and time using solid Buddhist principles.
on August 11, 2011
Although I am retired and not into a frantic pace of life this book is geared for, it is a good reminder of awakening to the eternal now. Some of the things he recommends I am doing already and it is a good reminder to stay present. A challenge I have at times is to go from meditation into my daily life remaining in present, "Buddha Standard Time." I hope many people from all walks of life and cultures will order this excellent book. Though it didn't tell me anything I didn't know already it presented ways to stay in the eternal now which are awakening. Sometimes people of other religions than Buddhism would never pick up a book by a Buddhist teacher. Some people would do so. As one of the other reviewers writes it doesn't matter awhat one's religion is or even no religion. It is a timely book to help people slow down and stay present. It especially speaks to people who are working or perhaps raising children going from one place to another. However, all people can benefit from this timeless wisdom.
on April 6, 2017
Good basic book on time in a Buddhist perspective. I found I would like books more advanced and teaching the great perfection. This did give a direction to that pursuit.
on June 28, 2014
This is the third of Lama Surya Das' books that I have read, and I like it as much as the others. Those are a presentation of Buddhism and its concepts to a Western audience, but this book is intended as a practical guide to keeping oneself calm and de-stressed in the complex and busy world we live in. To this end, Das offers specific yogic and meditation practices one can use to center oneself and re-focus on the present moment. The book is written in clear and accessible language, as is typical of his books, and is illustrated throughout with personal stories and anecdotes that illustrate his points and give a personal conversational tone to the text.
on October 2, 2016
I just loved this book. My first book on Buddhism..I have to read it again though,just to keep doing the breathing exercises. OMG this is an Awesome Read...Living in the Now feels so good..I would recommend this book to everyone who feels empty or that you're not enough or let worry or fear run your life...please just read this book and simply change your life...For Real
on May 30, 2011
Whether one is a student in the university or a doctor, lawyer, professor, executive, professional or worker of any type, is there anyone in today's environment who is not faced with the seemingly impossible tasks to accomplish more with less while usually being constrained by that short but huge parameter we call time? Many of us literally race about with our demanding jobs and chores at our offices, homes, classes, autos, wherever, often leaving us with various levels of frustration, disappointment and lack of fulfillment. We become faced with our self-generated stress, often taking it home to spouses, children, loved ones, friends, colleagues--options which are not good for our mental, physical, emotional health. But recognizing this dilemma which so many face today, Lama Surya Das has stepped up in a `timely' manner and prepared for us a most interesting, sensitive, moving set of words and practices that have as their major focal point this seemingly lack of time in our modern and often hectic world.

Buddha Standard Time, Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now, is about various and numerous ways of slowing ourselves down, letting time seemingly move more slowly, move more with us rather than ahead of us, with the result our having more time, more quality time, less frustration and stress as we face our daily lives. Said differently, this book is about finding ways in our growing day-to-day race with time to live a more meaningful life generally, a more meaningful spiritual life in particular, a life more attuned to the basic rhythms of the natural world. It is a book about how to live our lives more peacefully within the uncompromising flow of all that seems to constantly confront us at every angle. It is a book about learning to be oneself, changing the ways we cope, and enjoying ourselves more while continuing to get our necessary activities performed.

The tools laid out for us in Buddha Standard Time are not surprising to those who have experience in studying Buddha dharma. These tools are essentially mindfulness, meditation, nowness-awareness and compassion. These powerful practices are smoothly integrated into each chapter's short applications called Time Outs and Mindful Moment (Meditations). Even with practice of a few minutes a day, the rewards to us and, hence, to those dear to us, are discussed throughout the book,

As many know from his previous books, including the best selling Awakening the Buddha Within, Lama Surya Das was trained for decades in the Nyingma and Kagyu Tibetan Lineages in Tibet, Nepal, and India, As one of the few Lamas of American birth currently teaching and practicing in America, he writes and teaches generally in the Tibetan Dzogchen Buddhist tradition.

So, to whom is this book directed? Buddhists or Dzogchen Buddhists? Yes to both, but the focus of this book is much broader; it is for all of us, particularly those who become frustrated and stressed with the frenzied pace of today's world. Whether one considers themselves Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, or those practicing Judaism, Islam, Atheism, Agnosticism, Buddhism, or whatever one's spiritual bent, this book, Buddha Standard Time, is for all of us.

Lama Surya Das is an enlightened thinker, teacher and writer. Buddha Standard Time is a joy to read, to learn from, to laugh with, to shed tears with. I highly recommend this book and it's timely, elegant messages to all.
on October 26, 2014
Great book, easy to understand and practical exercises a must read
on June 8, 2016
Lama Surya Das is always good.
on February 15, 2014
Too much filler. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath, but there are better books on meditation. I particularly like wherever you go there you are.
on September 27, 2013
If you have stopped for a minute or so in your busy schedule to read this review, YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK! Surya Das distinguishes between linear time and Buddha Standard Time. The former is measured by clocks, watches, calendars, etc.; while the latter is more in tune with natural time and the ebb and flow of the seasons. There is wisdom here for both Buddhists and non-Buddhists, especially if you find yourself driven by deadlines, the clock, and your own inner self.
If you find yourself feeling that you have to stay connected 24/7; if you check your email several times a day and cannot bear to be disconnected from social media, YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK! Using suggestions including attention to the breath and the value of the present moment, the author seeks to move the reader from a hectic schedule or pace to a point where we regularly "breathe, smile, relax." I recommend the book and the practice. And as Surya Das concludes: "You have time."