- USB Powered
Buffalo MiniStation Stealth 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - HD-PCT500U2/B
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Super-slim, lightweight design saves space for ultimate portability
- Turbo PC increases file transfer rates by up to 2X over competing USB 2.0 portable hard drives
- Preformatted hard drive is ready for immediate use with Windows and Mac
- Perfect companion for your laptop or notebook - no extrnal power needed
- ECO Manager conserves energy and battery power
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
From the Manufacturer
MiniStation Stealth USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive with TurboPC
The Buffalo MiniStation Stealth is a high performance portable storage solution in a remarkably compact and lightweight contemporary form. Simply plug it into any available USB port on your PC or Mac® computer and instantly add capacity or store files to take on the road. The MiniStation Stealth’s compact design occupies minimal space and it's USB powered so there are no additional cables to manage and no need for a separate power source. Included with the Stealth is Buffalo’s multi-purpose Buffalo Tools utility suite designed to enhance Windows® PC performance and user experience. It features TurboPC, a utility designed to enhance PC performance for up to 2X faster file transfers. Also included, Buffalo's Backup Utility protects your important files and documents by backing up your PCs to your Buffalo external hard drive and it provides an easy-to-use data restore function. Store, back up and transport your content instantly with plug and play connectivity.
Compact and Convenient
Designed for mobility, MiniStation Stealth’s compact and contemporary design occupies minimal space and offers USB powered mobile storage for your data and for your on-the-go lifestyle. Plus, the Stealth works with PC and Mac so you can access your files from whichever computer you are on.
Using high speed RAM on your PC, TurboPC can increase file transfer rates on Windows PCs by up to 2X over competing USB 2.0 portable hard drives. TurboPC also includes TurboCopy which provides additional system adjustments to increase performance substantially.
Back up and Manage Your Files with Buffalo Tools!
Buffalo Tools is a feature-rich suite of optional software included on many Buffalo DriveStation and MiniStation storage products. Any or all of the following components of Buffalo Tools may be installed on Windows PCs.
Other Key Features and Benefits
- Compact and Lightweight: Super-slim, lightweight design saves space for ultimate portability
- TurboPC for Windows: Increase file transfer rates by up to 2X over competing USB 2.0 portable hard drives
- Connect and Go: Preformatted hard drive is ready for immediate use with Windows and Mac
- USB Powered: Perfect companion for your laptop or netbook - No external power supply needed
- Eco-Minded: Included ECO Manager conserves energy by cutting power to the hard drive during extended periods of inactivity
- Time Machine® Compatibility: Works perfectly with Time Machine to back up your Mac computer
The MiniStation Stealth portable storage solution is backed by a one-year limited warranty and lifetime 24/7 US based technical support.
What’s in the BoxMiniStation Stealth Portable Hard Drive HD-PCTU2, USB 2.0 Cable, Quick Setup Guide, and Warranty Statement
* TurboPC Performance Testing: Time to transfer 1,000 digital photos. Benchmark system: Intel Core i7 860 2.8GHz, DDR3 8GB, Intel P55, WD1600JS-00NCB1, Windows 7 (64-bit)
Which Portable Hard Drive Is Right For You?
MiniStation Cobalt USB 3.0
|Buffalo Portable Storage & Backup Solutions||Essential storage |
for basic needs
|Stylish portable storage |
for PC and Mac
|Compact and lightweight |
storage for PC and Mac
|Shock-proof feature rich |
storage for on-the-go
|SuperSpeed USB 3.0 portable storage|
|SuperSpeed USB 3.0|
|Integrated USB Cable Management|
|Shock Absorption Technology|
|Hardware Encryption Security|
|Software Encryption Security|
|TurboPC Performance Booster (55% Faster)|
|TurboUSB Performance Booster (25% Faster)|
Expand Your Data Capacity and Connectivity with Buffalo Storage and Networking Solutions
| || || || |
Buffalo LinkStation Shared Storage
Buffalo Wireless Networking Solutions
Buffalo DriveStation Desktop Hard Drives
Buffalo MiniStation Portable Hard Drives
Top Customer Reviews
- I've been a laptop computer user for over 20 years. I own a consulting firm with clients 'round the country, so I'm always on the go.
- I own - or have owned - portable hard drives from every major manufacturer. My theory was that if I bought different brands with good recommendations (versus buying all of them from one manufacturer), I would spread my risk.
- Bought the Buff' Stealth 500GB from Amazon to try it out. Its the smallest 500GB portable drive around from a major manufacturer (and just 0.1in thicker than Oyen).
- I've owned and operated the drive for 30days to date. All of our computers (laptops and desktops)run Windows XP/32 bit operating systems.
Folks, hands down, this is the best overall portable hard drive I've owned to date:
1. This puppy is small, lightweight, and fast for USB 2.0. I'm getting 16-18MB/sec transfers using 5+ year old laptops and desktops (with Intel single core processors), and up to 22MB/sec on my Intel Core Duo Laptop.
2. I've left it on for 3 days straight, and found no heat generation above room temperature.
3. Needs only 1 USB2.0 port, and runs off of just 1 USB port on every one of our desktops/laptops I've tried it on.
4. Has a great blue light on top to signal its working. Doesn't have a sleep mode, so there is no delay, after your computer sits for a while, when you go to transfer/access a file.
Three particulars you'all might find of interest:
1. One reviewer here gave the drive 3stars because of the onboard Buffalo file transfer software. It's advertised to accelerate file transfers vs. Windows Explorer. And it does - but I agree, its not worth using.Read more ›
One suprise: the formatted drive shows 499.76gb (out of advertised 500gb) available...that's as close as I've ever seen to matching the advertised capacity of a drive! Another surprise is how this tiny little drive (3.0 x 4.5 x 0.5 inches by my measurement, smaller than 2 decks of cards next to each other) runs very cool, it hardly generates ANY heat to the touch.
I am using a MacBook Pro, so merely reformatted these for the Mac using the Mac's disk utility. I formatted them to be bootable and cloned my MacBook over to one of them (using SuperDuper) and now have a bootable backup in case the laptop drive goes down. Tested that drive as the boot drive, and response is slower when booted from the USB 2.0 connection than the MacBook's internal drive (no surprise there) but it would get me through in a pinch.Read more ›
When I tried to remove the encryption using the "Release Authentication" button, I received a message saying "unable to run because the hard drive is in use", even though it wasn't in use. I called tech support and they suggested resetting the drive to factory settings, which will remove the encryption but will also remove everything stored on the drive as well. The technician blamed my computer instead of accepting the fact there was a problem with their software.
The drive also came pre-formatted with the FAT32 file system, which I did not notice until after I had stored information on it. To convert it to NTFS, I had to re-format the drive and then restore the data from backup. Converting the drive with the data intact did not work because that process requires a reboot and the drive when encrypted is not visible until after the computer has finished rebooting and the login screen is completed. I could not remove the encryption because the management software thought the drive was in use when it was not.
I am happy with the drive itself, but the encryption management software and the company tech support leave much to be desired. Their web site also was of no help in identifying or resolving any of these issues.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
So this little thing is the size of a cigarette pack, but you couldn't keep cigarettes in it, cause it's a hard drive and only for digital stuff and that. Read morePublished 2 months ago by DCJr
I have had this hard drive for a few years now & it still works flawlessly. I do not access it very often but mainly use it as a way to back up my picture files. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Amanda
I have had mine for about three years and it still works finePublished 2 months ago by richard moncrease