Buffalo MiniStation Stealth 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - HD-PCT500U2/B
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Super-slim, lightweight design saves space for ultimate portability
- Turbo PC increases file transfer rates by up to 2X over competing USB 2.0 portable hard drives
- Preformatted hard drive is ready for immediate use with Windows and Mac
- Perfect companion for your laptop or notebook - no extrnal power needed
- ECO Manager conserves energy and battery power
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Compare to similar items
This item Buffalo MiniStation Stealth 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - HD-PCT500U2/B
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Compumay USA, Inc|
|Digital Storage Capacity||500 GB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB|
|Hard Disk Description||portable||Portable||Portable||Portable||Portable||Portable|
|Hard-Drive Size||500 GB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB|
|Hardware Connectivity||USB||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0|
|Item Dimensions||0.55 x 4.5 x 3.03 in||0.6 x 4.8 x 3.2 in||3.2 x 4.4 x 0.6 in||3.1 x 4.7 x 0.59 in||2.99 x 4.47 x 0.38 in||3.1 x 4.7 x 0.7 in|
|Item Weight||5.82 ounces||6.4 ounces||4.8 ounces||0.51 lb||5.28 ounces||0.63 lb|
|Memory Storage Capacity||500 GB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||1,000||1 TB|
|Size||500 GB||1TB||1TB||1TB||1TB||1 TB|
MiniStation Stealth is a high performance portable storage solution in a remarkably compact and lightweight contemporary form. Simply plug it into any available USB port on your PC or Mac computer and instantly add capacity or store files to take on the road. MiniStation Stealth’s compact design occupies minimal space and it’s USB powered so there are no additional cables to manage and no need for a separate power source. Included with the Stealth is Buffalo’s multi-purpose Buffalo Tools utility suite designed to enhance Windows PC performance and user experience. It features TurboPC, a utility designed to enhance PC performance for up to 2X faster file transfers. Also included, Buffalo's Backup Utility protects your important files and documents by backing up your PCs to your Buffalo external hard drive and it provides an easy-to-use data restore function. Store, back up and transport your content instantly with plug and play connectivity.
From the Manufacturer
MiniStation Stealth USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive with TurboPC
The Buffalo MiniStation Stealth is a high performance portable storage solution in a remarkably compact and lightweight contemporary form. Simply plug it into any available USB port on your PC or Mac® computer and instantly add capacity or store files to take on the road. The MiniStation Stealth’s compact design occupies minimal space and it's USB powered so there are no additional cables to manage and no need for a separate power source. Included with the Stealth is Buffalo’s multi-purpose Buffalo Tools utility suite designed to enhance Windows® PC performance and user experience. It features TurboPC, a utility designed to enhance PC performance for up to 2X faster file transfers. Also included, Buffalo's Backup Utility protects your important files and documents by backing up your PCs to your Buffalo external hard drive and it provides an easy-to-use data restore function. Store, back up and transport your content instantly with plug and play connectivity.
Compact and Convenient
Designed for mobility, MiniStation Stealth’s compact and contemporary design occupies minimal space and offers USB powered mobile storage for your data and for your on-the-go lifestyle. Plus, the Stealth works with PC and Mac so you can access your files from whichever computer you are on.
Using high speed RAM on your PC, TurboPC can increase file transfer rates on Windows PCs by up to 2X over competing USB 2.0 portable hard drives. TurboPC also includes TurboCopy which provides additional system adjustments to increase performance substantially.
Back up and Manage Your Files with Buffalo Tools!
Buffalo Tools is a feature-rich suite of optional software included on many Buffalo DriveStation and MiniStation storage products. Any or all of the following components of Buffalo Tools may be installed on Windows PCs.
Other Key Features and Benefits
- Compact and Lightweight: Super-slim, lightweight design saves space for ultimate portability
- TurboPC for Windows: Increase file transfer rates by up to 2X over competing USB 2.0 portable hard drives
- Connect and Go: Preformatted hard drive is ready for immediate use with Windows and Mac
- USB Powered: Perfect companion for your laptop or netbook - No external power supply needed
- Eco-Minded: Included ECO Manager conserves energy by cutting power to the hard drive during extended periods of inactivity
- Time Machine® Compatibility: Works perfectly with Time Machine to back up your Mac computer
The MiniStation Stealth portable storage solution is backed by a one-year limited warranty and lifetime 24/7 US based technical support.
What’s in the BoxMiniStation Stealth Portable Hard Drive HD-PCTU2, USB 2.0 Cable, Quick Setup Guide, and Warranty Statement
* TurboPC Performance Testing: Time to transfer 1,000 digital photos. Benchmark system: Intel Core i7 860 2.8GHz, DDR3 8GB, Intel P55, WD1600JS-00NCB1, Windows 7 (64-bit)
Which Portable Hard Drive Is Right For You?
MiniStation Cobalt USB 3.0
|Buffalo Portable Storage & Backup Solutions||Essential storage |
for basic needs
|Stylish portable storage |
for PC and Mac
|Compact and lightweight |
storage for PC and Mac
|Shock-proof feature rich |
storage for on-the-go
|SuperSpeed USB 3.0 portable storage|
|SuperSpeed USB 3.0|
|Integrated USB Cable Management|
|Shock Absorption Technology|
|Hardware Encryption Security|
|Software Encryption Security|
|TurboPC Performance Booster (55% Faster)|
|TurboUSB Performance Booster (25% Faster)|
Expand Your Data Capacity and Connectivity with Buffalo Storage and Networking Solutions
| || || || |
Buffalo LinkStation Shared Storage
Buffalo Wireless Networking Solutions
Buffalo DriveStation Desktop Hard Drives
Buffalo MiniStation Portable Hard Drives
Top customer reviews
- I've been a laptop computer user for over 20 years. I own a consulting firm with clients 'round the country, so I'm always on the go.
- I own - or have owned - portable hard drives from every major manufacturer. My theory was that if I bought different brands with good recommendations (versus buying all of them from one manufacturer), I would spread my risk.
- Bought the Buff' Stealth 500GB from Amazon to try it out. Its the smallest 500GB portable drive around from a major manufacturer (and just 0.1in thicker than Oyen).
- I've owned and operated the drive for 30days to date. All of our computers (laptops and desktops)run Windows XP/32 bit operating systems.
Folks, hands down, this is the best overall portable hard drive I've owned to date:
1. This puppy is small, lightweight, and fast for USB 2.0. I'm getting 16-18MB/sec transfers using 5+ year old laptops and desktops (with Intel single core processors), and up to 22MB/sec on my Intel Core Duo Laptop.
2. I've left it on for 3 days straight, and found no heat generation above room temperature.
3. Needs only 1 USB2.0 port, and runs off of just 1 USB port on every one of our desktops/laptops I've tried it on.
4. Has a great blue light on top to signal its working. Doesn't have a sleep mode, so there is no delay, after your computer sits for a while, when you go to transfer/access a file.
Three particulars you'all might find of interest:
1. One reviewer here gave the drive 3stars because of the onboard Buffalo file transfer software. It's advertised to accelerate file transfers vs. Windows Explorer. And it does - but I agree, its not worth using.
I installed the Buffalo "turbo" software on two computers and found "turbo" didn't work as well as Teracopy (which is freeware and works great to speed up USB2.0 file transfers). The Buffalo "turbo" software did slow down both my desktop and laptop computers and seemed to complicate rapid removal of any flash/hard drive I connected. I've eliminated the pre-installed Buffalo software from the drive and my computers. I'd recommend the same to anyone. But I do recommend you find and download Teracopy, its a great program. (see CNET.Com to download Teracopy for free).
2. I've not dropped the Buffalo 500GB drive, so I can't provide insight on its hardiness to physical abuse. You'll find details on construction at the Buffalo site. It appears solidly built, but the plastic case doesn't appear to warrant confidence that it would not break of dropped over a foot or so onto a hard surface.
I presume that being so small, there isn't as much space to install lots of "shock-absorbing" material. I also presume one has to get some sort of case/carrier/cozy for the Buffalo 500 if you're going to actively travel with it. In my case, I'm using it to date to store large files I download from my desktop to carry home or use on my laptop, and I'm being careful with it because of my concerns about its hardiness until I get more experience. It might could benefit from a rubber border and thicker plastic case as one finds on the Toshiba Canvio, but then it would be thicker/bigger - the Toshiba was my previous 1st choice for portable hard drives, its now no.2, but I'm comparing it with the Buffalo as I go along, and I'll report back down the road on hardiness as I collect more info.
3. Based on my experience with the Buffalo 500GB, I've already bought the 1TB model. Available on Amazon today for $84, its the best deal going for portable hard drive space/dollar. I've found the performance specs for the 1TB model are exactly the same as the 500GB model. BUT, be aware the physical specs for the 1TB model are different - its about a quarter of an inch thicker than the 500GB version (same length x width). Since I found the pre-installed Buffalo software unworthy of use on my 500GB model, I've eliminated the same from the 1TB version.
Update: August, 2012
It's 15 months from my initial Buff' Mini-Station Stealth portable hard drive review here on Amazon, so time for an update.
1. All of my initial comments/info/details on the Buff' 500GB and the 1TB USB2.0 drives still ring true. I now own 10 of them, and all of them work like a charm. I particularly like the fact that they mount/dismount easily (e.g., they power up and down quickly). The USB cable provided with the drives is the best USB2.0 cable I've found/used to date - it mounts/dismounts the drive quickly.
I've lost only one (1) Buff' portable drive to date - that drive fell off of a desktop 30inches high onto a hard concrete flow in my basement. The case did not crack, but the drive seemed to have trouble mounting onto my computer (meaning the drive took a long while to start up) and it would turn on/off at erratic intervals. Fortunately, the drive didn't have much data on it, so no big deal. I have had my other Buff' drives fall onto a carpeted floor from the same height with no adverse effects. Taken together, I think this speaks very well on the hardiness of these drives. As a comparison, I've had 2 of 4 Simpletech Signature Mini Drives fail without any physical drop.
Hope this update helps.
One suprise: the formatted drive shows 499.76gb (out of advertised 500gb) available...that's as close as I've ever seen to matching the advertised capacity of a drive! Another surprise is how this tiny little drive (3.0 x 4.5 x 0.5 inches by my measurement, smaller than 2 decks of cards next to each other) runs very cool, it hardly generates ANY heat to the touch.
I am using a MacBook Pro, so merely reformatted these for the Mac using the Mac's disk utility. I formatted them to be bootable and cloned my MacBook over to one of them (using SuperDuper) and now have a bootable backup in case the laptop drive goes down. Tested that drive as the boot drive, and response is slower when booted from the USB 2.0 connection than the MacBook's internal drive (no surprise there) but it would get me through in a pinch.
Note the included software is Windoze only but you won't miss it, just erase it if you're on a Mac. (The Buffalo drive will however mount the first time you plug into a Mac without doing anything, should you need to use it immediately. You'll just be wasting a little space keeping the Windoze software on there. Mac instructions are also on the drive as a PDF file if you need them, which of course you probably will not!)
Reliability over time remains to be seen (note update above, no problems in about 8 months of use), if I do see a failure I will update this review, but so far I'm 100% satisfied.
I was able to get past this hurdle, though. I downloaded and installed the trial version of Acronis True Image and used that to reformat it to FAT32. Then the PS3 recognized it and backed up perfectly!
With this, I also ordered Drive Logic™ DL-53 Portable Hard Drive Carrying Case Soft Pouch (Black) to store it in. It's a perfect fit!
I can't speak for longevity since I just got it, but since it served its purpose, I only knocked one star off because of the frustration for having to format it to what I'd understood it to come out of the box with.
Most recent customer reviews
this product lasted about 3 year for me when the product died.Read more