Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 4, 2015
Many Buffy fans dislike this seventh and final season. I know this firsthand, since I used to be one of them :) Somehow, though, it crept into my Buffy-loving heart, and the older I get, the more I find myself appreciating and enjoying this season. It's not as "dark" as season 6 or large stretches of season 5, yet it's arguably a little 'deeper' and more ambitious than the understandably beloved early seasons of the series. I can't claim that season 7 has the same amount of sparkle and charm as those earlier seasons, but I was so happily surprised to find that it really is wittier, more poignant and loaded with more interesting and thought-provoking themes than I had given it credit for. A lot of the main characters find some measure of healing and redemption in this final season, and a few of the new minor characters are surprisingly worthy additions. Oh, and for those Firefly fans who are first discovering Buffy, you might be interested to know that this is the season where Nathan Fillion appears as a chillingly misogynistic preacher.

There are a few clunkers this season but, honestly, that's true of every Buffy season for me. Overall, I find this more uplifting than the prior two seasons and loaded with some ideas and themes that age even better than some of what we get in earlier seasons. Is this the 'best' season of Buffy? No, but it's far, far more awesome than I'd initially thought!
on February 9, 2016
I didn't watch Buffy when it was originally on TV. I caught an episode here or there, but I must have seen episodes from Season 1 or 2 because they weren't very good. But this show got better and better as it went along, and Season 7 was terrific. I've seen a lot of series finales, and most of them are bad. Let's face it, it's not easy to end a 5+ season show in one episode. The X-Files were great, but the finale was not. Same with True Blood and many, many others. But the finale to Buffy was about as good as one could hope for...great show, great season, great ending.
on February 10, 2016
This will be a different kind of review. I watched all of the seasons at a steady rate of two or three shows every evening. I can remember enjoying watching a few shows when they originally ran. So I decided to watch them all. It is a decent storyline with a Chosen One, a Slayer, who keeps the world safe from vampires and demons. Of course, one has to wonder about vampires and demons who don't live (live?) in California.

I believe the right place to end the tale was at the end of the season where Buffy sacrifices herself and dies. The next season, where Willow brings her back from death, was depressing. But eventually the Buffy I had come to know and like returned. The Buffy in Season Seven was a different Buffy for the last half of the season. The reasons for the negative changes were not obvious. Her fall from grace was contrived and unconvincing. Bringing Angelis in for a kissing cameo detracted from the Spike heroic sacrifice at the end.

I expected Buffy, Willow and Giles to die along with Spike. In retrospect my favorite characters were Willow, Zander, and Anya.

I rank the entire seven seasons highly and recommend them to anyone who likes a good story and has the time and patience to watch all seven seasons.
on August 24, 2017
Not my favorite season.

~*~SPOILERS!~*~

I didn't like how Spike went to all the trouble to get his soul back just to start killing again, even if he was under an evil influence.
The First (evil) wasn't all that scary or threatening.
Hardly any Giles. :-(

The only redeeming factor is the amazing actors.
on July 19, 2017
One does not have to be a fan of vampire genre/culture to become a fan of Buffy! Just be patient through the first season, and the rest will take care of itself. Favorite series ever! Watched it beginning to end probably 6 times now through the years.
on January 23, 2016
Watching this almost 20 years after it first began, I was as entranced as all the original fans. Some episodes were weak and silly, some exceeded expectations, and most were just enthralling all on their own for the imagination and total escape they provided. Loved it1
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2007
BUFFY's seventh season wasn't just the final bow of a great series, it was an out-and-out comeback. A lot of fans were unsure if it could recover from the relative low point that was the sixth season, but with its legacy more-or-less on the line, the cast, writers and producers of BtVS joined together and delivered the goods when it mattered most. Whereas the troubled S6 made me wonder if "the name outlived the man", the seventh followed the oldest rule in show biz: "Always leave `em wanting more."

Things I liked:

* The blasts from the past. It was great fun to see, however briefly, Buffy's Big Bads parade across the screen; this is just the sort of thing diehard fans love. I always wanted to see Mark Metcalf (the Master) do a scene with Spike ("It's going to be an interesting couple of months and I think we're all going to learn a lot. You're going to learn that you're a pathetic shmuck.")

* The Nikki/Robin Wood/Spike sub-plot. I was expecting something like this for years (actually I was expecting Kendra's watcher to show up) and I think it was nicely handled except for the way it was resolved - or rather, not resolved.

* Sunnydale High. Nice to "go home" again even if it was a different set.

* I truly enjoyed the all-too-brief fight between Spike and Faith. Buffy beat up Spike so many times in Seasons 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7 it was easy to forget that before he met his match in her, he was a Slayer slayer (he gave Kendra a beating in Season 2, as I recall).

* The return of vamps as primary villain. For a show with VAMPIRE in the title there was not much focus on the bumpy-forehead set after about Season Four. The ubervamps were a nice touch.

* Nathan Fillion's "preacher" was not by any means my favorite Big Bad, but he was by far the most hateful. Previous Bads were so entertaining it was hard to have any real animosity toward them; not so with him. He was loathsome, sadistic, arrogant, vicious and just nasty.

* Slayer army...very innovative and well done.

* The overall story arc was very strong; the sub-plots weaved well into the main thread of story; everybody had a part to play and played it well. Tony Head did an especially good job of showing Giles' seldom displayed ruthless side.

* All Buffy seasons have a "crisis point" where you think things can't get worse and then they do. Season Seven has a brilliant one with Buffy getting ousted as the leader. E tu, Scoobies?

* Xander's "seven years" speech to Dawn. I thought this was brilliantly written and brilliantly acted. I often wondered how X. felt about being "standing just outside the spotlight."

Things I didn't like:

* A really gutsy move would have been to have Robin kill Spike, or Spike kill Robin. It would have been as jaw-dropping as a certain murder that occurs in the last season of ANGEL.

* The political agenda. Sorry to sound like Agent Mulder having a paranoid moment, but it seemed to me like Joss W. was trying to shovel in as many social-political messages in this season as he possibly could; (explicit gay sex, interracial sex, a bad guy wearing a priest's collar vs. good guy pagans, Buffy emasculating the villain with an axe, etc.) I thought it was preachy and crass.

* Kennedy. I hated, hated, hated this chatacter and think she was the worst ever introduced in the series. The idea that she and Willow would end up together just because they are both lesbians was insulting. It was easy to see why Willow could fall for Tara, who was charming, sweet, and pure of heart; Kennedy, on the other hand, was an obnoxious slut. I also had issues with the way their sex was handled. Tara & Willow's scenes were done metaphorically (casting spells as a metaphor for lovemaking) and were classy and beautiful. Willow and Kennedy's romps to cheesy rock music looked like Skinimax at 3 AM. Was this really the same character of the first three seasons?

* I would have loved it if Xander and Buffy had gotten together. It is my understanding the actors themselves wanted this to happen, but JW torpedoed it. Too bad. I believe it was a logical outcome to their friendship, which intensified greatly in the Sixth Season; also to the fact that Xander had become a man and no longer carried a torch for Buffy, which is of course the surest way to get her interest.

* The thing with the Guardians was silly and lame. It wasn't necessary to the plot and should have been eliminated. I could have done without the excessive use of the nerds from the sixth season, Joss seems to be nearly obsessed with these characters, who are tolerable only in smallish doses as comic relief. And the nerd in me was a bit disturbed by the fact that the graves of Joyce Summers and Jenny Calendar were among the parts of Sunnydale which dissapeared into the abyss. Kind of callous.

* While I was glad to see so many familiar faces from past seasons, including David Boreanaz, I really wanted to see others, including Eric Balfour (who played Jesse in the pilot; he was the "first soldier down" and it would have been great to have him do a scene opposite Xander, who killed him); Robia LaMorte (Jenny), Oz (one suspects this character was not brought back for "political" i.e. sexual correctness reasons; it wasn't correct to make Willow bisexual, she had to be full-on gay!); Ethan Rayne, Riley Finn and Willy the Snitch. I also would have loved to see the First assume the Master's shape and then have one of the ubervamps do a double take as if to say, "Daddy?"

(OK, most of this is the nerdly nit-picking you would expect from oh, say, Comic Book Guy, but hey, what's the use of being a fan if you can't be unrealistic and difficult?) As a rule, I thought the season was very good, respectful of the show's history and mythology, and that it produced some episodes as good as anything from the "golden age" of Seasons 1 - 3. The finale was appropriately operatic in scope, beautifully scored, with great performances all around, and had a beautiful full-circle moment just at the climax between Buffy, Giles, Xander and Willow ("The earth is doomed.") To sum it up: BUFFY was one of the greatest television shows ever, and it was very important for it to exit the stage the same way it appeared. Mission accomplished.
on June 11, 2015
Great Show. In this season, Spike has his soul now. The Potential slayers arrive and have to be trained. At the end Spike uses the amulet Angel brought from L.A. and brings about the end of Sunnydale, and the Hellmouth.

Includes episodes:
20)Touched
21)End of Days
22)Chosen
on February 20, 2015
This series is a near masterpiece. The episodes of season seven are characterized by scenes that involve that kind of marginally insane dialogue that characterized seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, & 6. That is, the characters can still carry on lengthy discussions of, say, the significance of dismemberment with about the same passion that goes into talking about buttering toast or driving a car. Contributing greatly are the development of the relationships between Buffy and Spike, and Willow and Kennedy. Sarah Michele Geller and Alyson Hannigan as Buffy and Willow are solid characters who still manage to carry the series. The diminishing role of Anya is somewhat disappointing, however.
on June 19, 2017
Love the series. Never tire of watching over and over and over and over...