Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 39 reviews
on November 8, 2016
I liked this book, I have read several EMP/Bugging Out novels and I thought I would try one by a woman tho I really did not get that it was much different than the one written by the guys. The grammatical errors really did not bother me, I found the story pretty convincing. The prep stuff was good but a bit too much and I agree with one of the other reviews about the about the horrible British accent, it was distracting and silly. Just tell us she is British and we can work the rest out ion our heads. The husband and wife seemed more like partners than a married couple, it took about 200 pages for them to give each other a hug. Nevertheless I look forward to her future books. I am going to order the next one in the series. A little blurb about the author would have been nice. All minor points, a 5 for me.
on December 4, 2012
There are enough reviews here already that point out the flaws I found in this work. However, as a first effort, the book is above average.

What I found worthwhile was the detail the author went into regarding self-sufficiency skills such as gardening and canning. The "drama" part was done pretty well, but most of the interpersonal relationships just didn't ring true somehow...most notably, the relationship between the husband and wife who are the main protagonists. It just didn't feel "real" to me.

In addition, and as others have mentioned, the dialogue for the character Rita was a real low point. This needs to be completely re-worked, with the awful attempts to duplicate a British accent and vocabulary yanked out completely. I've lived and worked with Brits a lot (overseas), and there is nothing realistic about the author's attempt to portray how they speak, or even their slang and colloquialisms.

If you're interested in the nuts and bolts of trying to survive, long-term, in a grid-down situation, this book has a lot to offer, and I recommend it. If you're an action junkie, pass it by.
on March 30, 2014
Imagine if an acquaintance who is not a professional writer wrote a description of her experiences coping with a SHTF episode. That's how the book reads.

I feel the author presents a realistic description of what a partially prepared prepper couple might experience in a SHTF situation. She shows good imagination, good character development and shares her experience and knowledge in an effective way. The book held my attention and the detailed descriptions of the characters' challenges and solutions gave me some fresh insight into aspects of what we would likely face in bug-out/self sufficient/survivalist lifestyle.

Yes, there are issues with grammar and spelling but they are easily passed by without detracting from story continuity.

Two things that did bug me to no end:

- The seemingly senseless and unnecessary discarding of Rachael's ID badge at the ambush site.
I have read the book three times and that act still doesn't make any sense to me.

- Rita's horrible British accent. Just say one time that she still spoke with a British inflection and let it go at that.

The author shows promise. If she had the benefit of a professional editor to help with the grammar, spelling and unnecessary plot twists this book would be a solid five stars. I would still give it four and a half stars even with the defects.

In summary, it is a pretty good read and worth the money I spent to buy it. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
on November 2, 2012
I just finished "Bugging Out To Nowhere" and really enjoyed it. It is really well thought out and written in a manner that makes it interesting. There is, however, one GLARING short coming: The author GROSSLY misrepresents the use of solar power in a grid down situation. The author repeatedly says that the characters were running many electrical appliances at once on solar power alone. At one point they were running an electric range plus the oven while running a dehydrater, dishwasher, large freezer, small freezer, refrigerator, another oven and lighting all at the same time. This would require a rack of solar panels the size of a Wal-Mart parking lot and a bank of batteries the size of the Wal-Mart store.

The book is an excellent primer for preppers who are planning a bug-out location IF they do not heed the writing about the solar power. Currently the best solar panels available are around 200 watt panels costing about $600 apiece. I recommed this book to serious preppers and beginners alike and would have given it 5 stars if it wasn't for the power misrepresentation.
on November 21, 2012
The plot line in the book is a potentially realistic scenario, and the way in which the main characters - who are hard-core "preppers" - prepare for the disaster and then react to and handle the post-disaster situation is very informative, from the standpoint of someone who is just beginning to take the first steps in prepping for a disaster. While sometimes overly specific for what is supposed to be a fiction novel (and not a how-to guide), it was interesting nonetheless.

However, the writing and grammer in this self-published novel is absolutely horrendous - to the point where I could rarely get through two sentences without being distracted by some major grammatical error (and I'm not the super picky type)! It is almost as if the author wrote the first draft and then published it as-is, without even doing a quick once-over - much less proofreading. The sentence structures are ridiculously elementary and the grammer is abhorrent. The author switches from past to present tense and then back to past tense again all within the same sentence - continuously - which is definitely annoying, as well as confusing. She (he?) constantly misuses the forms of "their", "there", and "they're" along with other commonly mistaken forms of certain words, places apostrophes in different positions every other sentence, repeats words in different places within the same sentence, and just has EXTREMELY poor grammer overall. Again, this was to the point where I literally could not get through even two sentenced without noticing some kind of very obvious mistakes - which made reading this book incredibly distracting and difficult. I would have an incredibly hard time believing that the author actually read through their writing even one time after finishing the first draft, much less asked someone else to read it for editorial purposes.

That said, the story was interesting and informative if you are someone looking to learn a little bit about prepping and what it actually takes in order to be prepared in the event that you need to bail and completely start over. There are so many things that I never would've thought about or considered before reading this book, and at the very least it has made me want to learn more about all the necessary planning involved in preparing to keep my family alive and safe if and when the sky does fall.
on December 10, 2012
This book is about a couple who leave their home and make their way to their bug-out retreat. It's written in the first person and rambles quite a bit. The editing is mediocre, with numerous mis-spelled words and missing punctuation. It does provide many ideas that a prepper would want to consider in setting up their retreat, however. Maybe I've read too many of these books. This one is a similar story to others...but harder to stay interested in.
on March 8, 2013
I am almost finished reading this book. Of all the survival type books I have read so far this one is by far my favorite. The situation in the book seems more realistic than most. They do not have an unlimited supply of ammo and hundreds of guns. They are living a more realistic life which I think most people especially women can relate to. As a woman I get lost in all the technical and military type books. There are some typing errors, but so what. If you are intrested in becomming more self sufficent this book has numerous ideas to help get you thinking. I highly recomend reading this book especially if you are a woman.
on October 17, 2012
"Bugging Out to Nowhere" is a nice primer on what to think about when setting up 'preps' for a collapse. There is much in the way of information for readers who need to consider who to grow food, conserve water, etc. The book could have used another edit, and the plot could have been a little tighter, but that's not what this story is about. Good read, but not on the level of Rawles or Joe Nobody.
on January 5, 2013
I liked the way the author revealed prepper ideas and suggestions through a fictional story. While the plot is believable I never really became emotionally invested in the characters. They seemed to be only two-dimensional. I did enjoy jumping to the next survival tactic which were plentiful and doable. The editing also seemed to be above average which made the reading easier. Purchase this book if you are a beginning prepper or if you want to learn to be more self sufficient.
on September 3, 2012
A scary, paranoid vision of the future after the economy has imploded, this book is chock full of useful information and thought-provoking speculation about how survivors might fare. After a few anxious, violent chapters at the beginning, the author makes a point of describing just how exhausting and mind-numbing the everyday fight for survival can be when all of the support structure of our modern world are stripped away. Tom and Rachel are not rich and can't afford to build a fancy survival castle, but their dedicated approach and thrifty ways are encouraging, and readers find themselves hoping they were able to prepare enough to make it through the bad times. Help and threats come from unexpected directions and by the end, I found myself heavily invested in the day-to-day, seemingly mundane details of their farm, because they are living so close to the edge. A good, solid read without the sound and fury one usually finds in this genre, "Bugging Out to Nowhere" is the excelent first volume in what I hope is an ongoing series.