Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Build Your Own Solar Panel: Generate Electricity from the Sun.
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 9, 2012
I personally found this book really easy to read. As somene who is used to reading and dealing with such concepts as 'quantum physics', I found this read a nice break. However, I get the impression that is was not written to be a 'stand alone' manual on all the concepts behind photovoltaics. It gives a basic 'how to' with lots of great ideas on how to make the process of building solar panels a little easier, and what to do with the scrape. This reader would also recommend "Photovoltaics For Dummies" for a more comprehensive idea of the science behind solar energy. As far as actually building panels, I decided to follow this books instructions because of the simple common sense approach in which the way the book is presented. So far everything has worked out very well.
on June 19, 2012
I usually only purchase items that have been thoroughly reviewed by other buyers. So when I bought this book I felt like I was taking a bit of a risk. It ended up being a risk worth taking. I won't bother giving you a list of everything in the book because you can find that quickly enough by clicking on the "Look Inside" button over the product picture. The table of contents paints the picture very well. I would like however, to talk about tone. The author, Phillip Hurley, is a natural teacher. He talked me through the steps of making my first solar panel in a way that gave me confidence. And he kept me entertained as well. One of the things I really like about his style is that while he tells you exactly what you need to do, he also makes sure you know it's not the only way. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to tinker in their spare time.
on October 11, 2012
Very basic format, which is exactly what I was after. Very happy with this book. Would recommend this to any novice.
on July 10, 2013
I won't give away exactly why this is but I've been researching this topic for years and this book was the only source of information where a particularly delicate subject was explained with enough detail to save me roughly $.20 a watt on my panel constructions. Because I have about 200 Watts worth of cells ready to go, this translates into a very respectable savings. Thank you very much to the writer and everyone involved for such a detailed and accurate step-by-step guide, with proven techniques, to building your own panels from the ground up. Excellent resource!!!
on April 19, 2013
Great wealth of info on construction and maintenance of homemade solar panels. Also helps in the repair of store bought panels.
on February 23, 2013
The book was ok as far as getting a general sense of how to build solar panels. It did take some of the mystery out of how to build them, but could have used some better photos and angles. Worth a read if you want to know how to build a solar panel.
on January 7, 2013
Being a retired electrical enginner, I find that this book is very accurate and helpful. I would recommend this for to wnybody
on January 26, 2013
This is an outstanding book and it simplifies the building of Solar Panels. The author does a good job of explaining the different ways to build them and the materials that should or could be used. The only bad thing about the book is that some of the links in the back are not good any more. Overall this is an outstanding book for anyone who wants to build their own solar panel.
on March 21, 2014
I have built many panels in the few years I have been involved in photovoltaic field and I learned through watching You-Tube, reading electrician manuals (eventually attending electrician school formally), and reading books from various authors that were available at the time I started. Had I read this book at the beginning of my passion for solar panels it would have saved me many hundreds of broken solar cells as well as more than a couple completed panels that went into early retirement, compromised by the elements or workmanship errors? The author, Mr. Hurley takes the reader through the steps needed to complete a solar panel in language that is clear, not overly technical, and does an excellent job of anticipating questions someone might have if this was their first time sitting in front of the raw ingredients of a solar panel. So very lucky is the beginner who reads this book because it really is a start, to finish, detailed, and picture supported manual on how to build a very solid solar panel. Well done Mr. Hurley!
Build Your Own Solar Panel: Generate Electricity from the Sun. Paperback will provide the reader with almost every bit of wisdom Mr. Hurley has to offer when it comes to building Solar Panels. He is a practical writer with common sense approaches to design and construction of Panels. Most of us are not design electrical engineers and it doesn't take an EE degree to put together a working solar panel. That is for making electrical devices and systems concerning electrical design of delivery systems. Here is a practical layout of a solar panel project from start to finish. If you only know you want to make the least costly version of a solar panel be assured you can do that following the instructions in this book. Be aware though, since 2012 ever more solar panels are offered and today you can buy from Amazon.com a 100 watt Monocrystalline Photovoltaic PV Solar Panel Module from Renogy for a Price of $149.99 delivered free with Amazon Prime membership. That is really cheap for a product of this kind, which is rated very well. I love this book and will reread it and refer to it often.