Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 23 reviews
on March 2, 2012
Hillegass is terrific, but far from complete. So when you've gotten through Hillegass, you're writing your own app, and you scratch your head and say, "Now how the heck do I do...," this is the place to look. There's a fair amount that's outdated. Heck, the book IS 10 years old (hello, O'Reilly? Have you considered a new edition?), but Cocoa to a great extent still works the same way, so this is worth exploring.

They tried to make this book for beginners, but, as I said, it is 10 years old, so this is not the place for a newbie to start. Once you've got the basics, though, this is worth having for all of the detail it goes into.
on September 24, 2003
I tried using Aaron Hillegass' book, Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X, but this book was much easier to follow for me. I don't mean to rag on Hillegass' book - it's still well written - just a not quite as easy for me. This book takes the time to *explain* the concepts before diving into a program. However, if you're looking for a reference book, this isn't it. This book will teach you how to use Cocoa by taking you through the construction of three fairly fancy applications - a calculator, and two word processing oriented programs.
on September 11, 2003
Let me start off by saying that chapter 1 is completely useless. I bought this book to learn about programming - not to learn tips and tricks for the OS! Chapter 1 has lessons on things like emptying the trash, getting file information, etc.! If I'm buying a book on programming, shouldn't it be assumed that I already know how TO MOVE AND COPY A FILE WITHIN THE OS??!!! Sorry, but it is useless in this book and SHOULD NOT be in there! A serious waste of space by the publishers.
That said, the rest of the book is pretty good, but I wish it were more comprehensive (Hmmm, maybe skipping the chapter on how to rename folders and adding some extra programming information would have been good...) and like another reviewer, I wish the code examples were explained better.
I would recommend this book as ancillary to more comprehensive programming manuals.
on January 9, 2010
Hits some points that I needed cleared up but not all of them. Handy for reference which could probably be gotten off of the internet.