Oil month Automotive HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

• Customer Reviews

on January 14, 2015
I went back and forth about buying this. But I wanted to try this out because my little dude loves sitting up and it gets tiring holding him. His bouncy seat reclines and he's often gets frustrated trying to sit up more in it. I loved that it has a tray, which I bought as well. I thought it would be a great "drum" for him as he's always swinging his arm down to bop his thighs and loves when I put a box or something there and it makes a sound.The reviews seem to be split 50/50 on it being too small or just right. I didn't know what to think. But then I got a gift certificate for Christmas and thought "why not?".

The Bumbo is a great idea. My only issue with it is it's lack of a weight guideline. This is what everyone's issue seems to boil down to. This is the only baby product I've seen with a size guideline based on a developmental milestone. Saying a baby can use it once they can "hold their head up without assistance" does not tell you the size of this product. If they're going to have that vague a guideline they need to offer different sizes. Even if every single baby reached this milestone at exactly the same age they would all be different weights and heights at that time.

I also think children's clothes should be sold based on weight instead of "months" which is really a different size for every brand and can give new parents anxiety that their children are too small or too big.

But I digress.

My son is just over 4 months and weighs 19lbs and is 26 inches. He's a big boy for his age- 95th percentile. But he just started really holding his head up steadily a few weeks ago, at which point he was still 18lbs. I wouldn't have felt safe having him sitting in this before then- his head control made me afraid he'd get whiplash. Even now he occasionally scares me the way he'll whip his head around.

I got the box today and was actually pretty excited. We had to wait until it warmed up because the box was sitting outside in 10 degree weather. Then I put him in and waited for the magic.

*sigh* So much fail here. The straps are pointless and in a horrible place. Why not put them on top? But he didn't seem to mind, it was under his diaper so they didn't dig in to him while I tried to finagle them out. But he seemed to be stuffed into the seat. Yes, we had to push his legs in a bit but it's a foam seat so it's not like it hurt. He didn't even wince. That didn't bother me. But I couldn't get him out of it without lifting him and pulling the thing off his butt. and the front piece was squishing him in a way I was sure would cause a rash.

It's a shame because he seemed to genuinely enjoy sitting up and looking around. He hit the tray a couple times and smiled. But between smiles was a look of discomfort that was becoming more and more apparent every time he turned around or tried to move at all. I think he wanted to like it but it's just too small.

So, Bumbo, my advice to you, which I'm sure you don't need as these things are wildly popular, is this: make different sizes. Tell us the ideal weight/height for each size. Babies are not one size fits all.
66 comments| 339 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 30, 2016
I was wary about using this because I read somewhere that it was bad for babies' hips and/or prevents babies from learning to sit properly by themselves. However, my pediatrician actually recommended it to give my son less time on his back (his head was getting a little flat, as many baby's do). I got this for my baby at 3 months and he's been using it since. Now, at 7 months, my baby can sit up on his own, but I still sit him in this from time to time and he likes hanging out here and playing with his toys. The key, according to my doctor, is moderation. He only sits in it for 15 minutes at a time, at most 30.
on June 8, 2016
My daughter has acid reflux really bad, so she loves sitting up... She is just barely 2 months old and we got this chair today. She was crying and I put her in and she was happy as can be. Sat in it for about 30 minutes, which is great for my squirmy little kiddo!
review image
on February 22, 2016
Perfect fit for my 3 month baby that even being so little she just wants to be sitting down. I also got her the tray and toy and she loves them.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on August 15, 2017
The product is so small and tight, it doesnt last long at all. It seems like a child may only be able to use it 2, maybe 3 months from the time you can first start putting them in it, before they are too big to fit in it comfortably anymore. If that is just natural, and expected, then I would argue the price point is way to high for what you get out od it. If it weren't for that, I would think it was a solid product.
on April 14, 2015
This was a gift purchase for my Sister-in-law. We have used one for both of our kids and they love it. It is a great way to help them start to sit and practice head control and gain core muscles. One think to consider is the size of the baby. My daughter has skinny legs and rear, so when she would sit in the bumbo, we would have to put a blanket around her to keep her stabilized. My son didnt have that problem and his chunky legs kept him perfectly in position. The bumbo is made of a very washable material that can be taken outside and sprayed with the hose if, and when, that situation occurs in your house. Great Product. remember to use the seatbelt and dont put it on the counter or table with your baby in it.
on July 5, 2016
This is a great seat for my baby. He has learned to sit up better and straighter in this seat. It also builds his neck muscles. It holds him in very well. I usually put my son in this seat while we are eating so he can be near us and still see us. I bought this in conjunction with the Bumbo Floor Seat Tray. He enjoys playing with his toys while in this seat. The only negative I have found is that it can be a little difficult at times to get his legs pushed in the slots. I find that it makes it easier to move the center piece over to one side or another so his legs will go in easier.
on October 11, 2014
I can't profess my love for Bumbos enough. First, let me say that we have an old model without the seatbelt. I think the seatbelt is stupid. If your kid is big/strong/old enough to flip out of a Bumbo, chances are the whole seat will tip and the belt won't do any good. Plus, I imagine it makes the seat harder to clean. The seamless design of the Bumbo makes it so easy to wipe down if baby spits up or has a blowout (or if you're like me and slack on buying a real high chair and feed baby in the Bumbo), adding nooks and crannies is just gonna gum up the works.

Secondly, I still get comments all the time from sanctimonious parents telling me they would never put their baby in something as dangerous as a Bumbo. It's not dangerous if you're not a dummy. Look, I broke all the rules. I used in on raised surfaces. I used it in the tub/shower so I could bathe my two under two together and make life easier. I did not ever leave them unattended in these scenarios. My middle son was also freakishly strong from birth and hit his motor milestones early and learned to arch his back and flip out of the seat around five months old, so I quit using it on raised surfaces. It was kind of a neat party trick after that to watch him roll himself out onto a blanket on the floor.

I'm also not a fan of the "baby bucket" carseat and have used convertible seats with my last two babies, but it meant having to get creative a lot of the time, like when we went to restaurants. Before they could sit up in the wooden restaurant high chair, we would just bring the Bumbo and sit it in the booth with us (or, admittedly, on the table if there was enough space). We've used the Bumbo virtually anywhere and everywhere, within reason. I know a lot of people would choose to wear their babies in that situation but I always feel awkward trying to eat over my baby's head.

Anyway, Bumbo: good.
0Comment| 284 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 4, 2017
I loved it and so did my kid. She grew so fast and was able to sit up on her own unassisted very quickly so we did not get a lot of use out of it. She has very thick wonderful chubby squishy baby thighs and had no problems getting her in and out. It was a tight fit to put her legs in, but once they were in, she couldn't pull her legs out and scoot away!
on March 16, 2018
This was just another pointless baby purchase. Although it works for some babies (was very useful for my niece when she was an infant) it did not work for my son. He only fit in the seat when he was still too young to support himself in a seated position, so we didn't get to use it. Even though he was on the higher end of growth percentile, he was never particularly "chunky" yet his legs didn't fit properly in this seat. Luckily I was able to sell it since it was still in perfect condition.