Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on November 27, 2015
This is my go to book for everything I want to know about getting in shape, loosing fat and eating healthy. I have even given this away as a gift. To give some background Tom's website: [..]his books have helped me drop over 100 lbs. and go from Morbidly Obese to a winning bodybuilder in less than 3 years. I am now 59 1/2. It can be done. This book is mostly highly recommended as well as the audio version of it.

Update on my progress. Coming up in January 2017 with the help of the Burn the fat website and this book I have kept off all the fat I lost and now I am a competitive 60+ Masters Bodybuilder. There are many books that can help you loose weight but this is the only one I know of that is the book that can help you keep the fat off.
review imagereview image
11 comment| 255 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 2, 2016
After reading this I can see why many people refer to it as 'the bible' of fat loss. Indeed, the book is thorough in every department and answered many questions I'd never got round to figuring out for myself. There are however one or two things I'd like to pick at, if I may, which I'll get to in a bit.

Firstly, the book is well structured. It's split into four sections; mindset, nutrition, cardio and weight training.

Mr Venuto is correct to point out that for anybody to make a body transformation, individuals must first have an important emotional reason to want to do so. By retaining an emotional need, you're more likely to stick with anything, not just a body transformation program.

It is the nutrition section that is by far the bulk of this book and goes into such incredible detail as to leave no questions unanswered. I'd often tried the 'protein dripping' approach, eating small amounts of protein at very regular intervals. The book has change my mindset on this slightly in that I may have been overkilling it somewhat. I'd also been making the cardinal error of, for many years, training on only oats, instead of oats and protein - No more. If anything, this section is worth the price of the book alone.

The cardio and weight sections are also very thorough, although admittedly, for me, I didn't learn a great deal of new stuff here other than a fresh approach and training method which I'll put into practice eventually.

One of my major problems with the training regime was that for leg days, it only leaves three days for recovery before the next leg day. I've always required a minimum of four but hopefully, with my new nutrition plan, this will be mitigated somewhat and I understand that this won't be a problem for everybody.

My biggest problem with the book, and it's quite a big one is as follows: The author states that it's not really possible to burn fat while gaining muscle at the same time. While yes, this is the truth, at least on some levels, it needn't be. It's true that fat burning and muscle building require your body to be in two opposing states, either a calorie deficit or a calorie surplus respectively. And while yes, this approach does work, there is indeed a way you can have both. At no point in the book does the author mention 'positive nitrogen balance.' Where you can be in a calorie deficit yet still build muscle because you're in a positive nitrogen balance.

I believe that HIIT 'high intensity interval training' can also aid you in this and yes the book does go into some detail about HIIT. However, I believe this could have been pushed more, to help the muscle building and speed up the fat loss in an even shorter period of time. HIIT is an essential element to fat burning and muscle building and can seriously speed up the process and I think the author could have pushed this more rather than relying on long 45+ minute cardio session when a more intense and shorter HIIT workout would do the job far better and faster, with added resistance training of course.

In conclusion; this book IS the bible of fat loss, but should be read in conjunction with one of the existing HIIT books to give you an even greater understanding and motivation at transforming your body quickly and healthily. My recommendation isHIIT - High Intensity Interval Training Explained by James Driver which is a highly entertaining and enlightening 'bible' as well.

5 stars for Mr Venuto
33 comments| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 21, 2017
If you are trying to trim down and bulk up and really want to know the truth about diets, and I mean all diets from the past to present, then you owe it to yourself to get this book. However, if you are still determined to follow your favorite fad diet, then good luck. Tom tells you straight and to the point what you probably already know, but don't want to believe, the truth about losing weight and building good firm body mass. I found the book to be a real source of encouragement that helped me motivate myself and get to going. I got the audible version and loved it so much I purchased the book. I must warn you though in the beginning chapters the book sounds like one of those infomercials trying to sell you something just to get your money, but after you get through the intro Tom moves carefully from chapter to chapter explaining the science of the body and nutrition, and how to really burn fat while at the same time building good body mass. This is a life changing book and I highly recommend it to the person serious about changing their lifestyle and getting in the best shape of your life.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 31, 2017
This has been my go-to guide for fitness, nutrition, and even motivation for years.
What I love about this book is that it transcends health and fitness with motivational strategies that work in all aspects of life. I use the goal-setting techniques for anything I wish to achieve, whether it's fitness-related or otherwise.
Tom Venuto is a stickler for backing up his fitness and nutrition claims with science -- he actually warns against the enticing pseudo-science that pervades so much of the health and fitness market.
I have recommended this book to everyone I know who has ever wanted to be healthier. My friends are sick of hearing the name "Tom Venuto."
It's an easy, interesting read that will be around for years.
on December 2, 2014
This has to be my absolute, number one go-to book for health and fitness! It goes well beyond just diet and exercise covering the "L.E.A.N. Plan of Actions" that incorporates mental training, nutrition (NOT a "diet"), cardio training and weight training. Tom Venuto, the author, teaches that all four of these are necessary components to a healthy lifestyle. The book goes into serious detail on all four of these areas and includes easy-to-follow chapters on how to become the best you that you can be. Tom explains why "diets" fail, how to measure your body composition, how to track progress, setting goals, training your mind. There are 8 chapters on nutrition that go into detail but are easy to understand. The cardio and strength training chapters have information for beginners as well as experienced athletes. I highly recommend this book!!
on November 25, 2016
I bought this book and Tom Venuto's other book "The Body Fat Solution" a few months ago after hearing about it on DaniJohsnon.com. After devouring both books, I learned so much about what has been missing from my journey of attempting to live a healthy and fit life. His description of the four elements of training: mental, nutrition, cardio, and resistance, helped me to see that this comprehensive approach is one that will lead to long-lasting success... of course, as long as I put in the hard work that it requires. There is a lot of information throughout the book, so it's definitely something that I will be re-reading and referencing frequently. If you're the type of person who has tried program after program just to get on and off the rollercoaster of healthy living, it's time to get this book and start applying the principles immediately!
on October 6, 2017
There is a lot of good advice in here. I am slowly trying to incorporate it into my life. I have started running on a regular basis, next I need add weight lifting, and finally (the biggest hurdle of all) I need to take control of my food intake.
on March 11, 2015
I found Tom Venuto and Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle after searching for a marriage between what science tells us and what real people are experiencing as they try to transform their bodies. Tom takes proven strategies used by the bodybuilding community and helps everyday people achieve goals beyond what they ever thought possible. Before reading Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle, I thought I understood diet and exercise, but knew that in my years of research and personal experience, I was missing something. We all know we should eat clean and exercise, but Tom teaches us how to enter these two into a synergy that goes way beyond what either can do on their own. We are all different. Tom understands this and offers no fail strategies for everyone no matter what your body type or starting point. Need additional help? Tom's online Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle Inner Circle online community is there along with Tom who is just as dedicated to his readers today as he was when the original version of this book came out years ago. After reading the book, I felt that I had learned a lot, but it wasn't until I applied the knowledge that I began to know that I would never think about diet and exercise the same way again. No matter now much you think you know about nutrition and exercise, this book will likely change your life.
on September 12, 2014
This is the most complete and practical nutritional info I've ever seen. Practical is the theme. The concepts can be tuned to your preferences - want to lean out, want to add muscle, it's all laid out in a very straightforward fashion. This is not a biochemistry textbook. The science is there, but where the science is absent or conflicting, the author's vast "boots on the ground" experience fills in the gaps perfectly. The exercise section is a great starter for those who need a program, but the concepts are solid enough for anyone who wants to use them in whatever type of training they prefer. Highly recommended.
on February 28, 2016
I got the Audible & hardcover version of BTFFTM and I listened to it EVERYWHERE. At the gym, in my car, while I cleaned, and the more I listened, the more educated I became on how simple it was to take control of my body. This book covers ANY and ALL questions you could possibly have in regards to losing fat, and building muscle. It talks about body type, motivation, nutrition, calculating macro-nutrients to fit your specific goals, training, lifting, cardio, helps you create your own workout. Basically this book is the truth. It's not a "magic pill" scheme. It gives you everything you need to know all you have to do is put in the work, and you'll notice that you will ditch all "diets" and "fat-burners". This book will teach you how to create, and maintain a healthier lifestyle that you love!

I recommend you to read this book to anyone who wants to make a commitment to a healthier you!