Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Burt's Bees Natural Acne Solutions Purifying Gel Cleanser, 5 Fluid Ounce
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

on February 10, 2014
PROS:
- Overall gentle
- Concentrated
- Fast results
- Does a good job on mild to moderate acne
- Helps tame the severity of mild to moderate cystic acne
- Great for sensitive and combination skin
- Lathers well, and lather is very creamy
- Not overly-drying (when used correctly, see Tips)
- Light, natural scent, not at all 'perfumey'
- Excellent value, the bottle lasts a long time

CONS:
- Bottle cap breaks easily
- Bottle can leak during travel
- Easy to over-dispense
- Does nothing for blackheads
- Not for everyday use when you're not breaking out

Tips for Use:
- When you're not breaking out, I'd recommended using it no more than three times a week. It's overall very gentle, but any salicylic acid product used daily can be too much for your skin.
- For treating breakouts, product is only overly-drying if you use too much of it. A little goes a long way! Dispense a tiny amount into your palm and work it into a lather.
- That said, it is an anti-acne product. It's supposed to dry a little. Combat it with a light moisturizer.
- Massage it into your skin in small, circular motions for at least 30 seconds to give the acid time to work.
- Rinse with cool water and PAT! not rub, PAT! dry

I bought this when my skin was in the midst of a mutiny. I have very sensitive, combination skin with a hyperactive cell turnover rate that makes my skin flake and clog no matter what. My acne is usually mild to moderate, but I'm prone to large, painful, infected cysts. When I bought this, I had been getting wave after wave of painful breakouts for four months with no signs of slowing. Faced with a looming first date with my Dream Guy just around the corner, I abandoned my normal Lush soap, a Benedict Arnold that had gone from Skin Savior to Breakout Baron, and agonized over what to buy instead before settling on this.

My acne started clearing up within three days. By the end of the week, what blemishes I got were no longer painful. This stuff is especially effective at sniping those tiny little whiteheads that like to form near your lips and in your eyebrows. Within a month, I noticed that my occasional cysts had downgraded from Dreadnought-class monstrosities to the moderate, manageable Schooner size. I can't say exactly when the siege broke, but I know that by three months, my skin was back to its usual mild acne status.

I wouldn't go so far as to call this a miracle product. I still get acne. The difference is that it's much, much more tepid, doesn't hurt, and clears up a lot faster. And anything that shrinks cysts is 5-star caliber in my book.

There are two really important things to note about this stuff. One is that it's very concentrated. You don't need a lot, and if you use too much, you're going to strip your skin and cause more acne. A dab'll do ya, as they say. The second is that it is a salicylic acid product. All SA formulations are going to be a little drying and somewhat irritating. Acne-prone skin does well with a good moisturizer anyway, so make sure you follow this cleanser with a schmear of moisturizer.

I also found that after my constant breakouts stopped, I couldn't use this stuff every day. It ended up causing more acne. That's also pretty normal for acid-based acne products, but no biggy. I only use this stuff once or twice a week now except when I'm breaking out.

Overall, it's fabulous. You should try it. If you hate it, you probably have a friend that will like it. Give it a whirl.
on October 20, 2011
I have had cystic acne/very oily skin for most of my adult life and been on a myriad of antibiotics, prescription/otc lotions and skin peels all of which eventually lead me back to severe breakouts.

The most effective acne solution I had come up with was Dr. Bronners Lavender and a prescription topical lotion called Duac which is clindamycin and 5% benzoyl peroxide.This still wasn't enough to stop breakouts of every size. I was also was extremely sick of bleaching out all my pillow cases, shirt collars, etc.

A close friend of mine mentioned this wash and I was an absolute skeptic. Salicylic acid had never worked well for me at all. On a whim, I bought it.

I began using this wash, along with the Dr Bronner's and in less than a week all the tiny blemishes that covered both my cheeks/jawline/neck were gone. My face is less red and much softer. The very few times I have broken out in deep painful cysts this wash got rid of them quickly and faster than the prescription lotion. I'm talking, a cyst that usually took months to heal was gone in a week. As a matter of fact, I no longer need or use the Duac. Now that I have been using this wash regularly twice a day for about 3 months now, I have had no cysts! For the first time in over a decade I no longer need to depend on prescription medication to give me the hope of clear skin. And all I have to do is wash my face.

No product is a miracle, diet, fluid intake and hormonal fluctuations can play a large part in your acne so before blaming a product there are other factors to take into account. The skin is the largest organ on the body, try listening to it. Every body is different but this wash certainly works wonders for me.
on August 16, 2010
I've always suffered from mild acne but in the past year of so it's really flared up. I've tried a butt-load of products ranging from ones sold in drug stores like neutrogena to proactive, none of which have helped. Burt's Bee's Acne Purifying cleanser didn't clear my skin 100%, but it helped a lot and what is left is not nearly as bad as it was before. It smells nice and lemon-y. I've also found that it's most effective when combined with the toner and the blemish stick. (BTW I LOVE the blemish stick). If you're on the fence, it's worth the try. They are also sold in a mini trial kit ($14 for small versions of the cleanser, toner and spot treatment) for those of you who wish to try it out before committing to a large bottle ($10).
on September 5, 2009
I've been a fan of burt's bees products for years. The natural aspect is one of the stand out reasons, and also because they're reasonably priced and work well. I've had problems with acne for years, mostly cystic, and now if it's going to happen, it's usually around that 'time of the month' when my hormones are off their rocker.

This cleanser was thinner in consistency then expected, more just liquid then a gel. But it smells amazing -- lemony -- and it has a nice lather and leaves the skin feeling great. It doesn't feel drying or like it stripped my skin bare like a lot of acne products can. Actually pretty moisturizing, as I don't feel the need to add a moisturizer like I usually would after washing my face.

I like using a combo of products with salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. I figure why go with one when you can hit potential break outs with both? This burt's bees cleanser is in the salicylic acid family, deriving it naturally from willow bark extract. It contains 1.0% Salicylic acid.

Also contains beet extract and evening primrose extract. It does not contain sulfates, parabens,phthalates or petrochemicals(as stated on the label).
on March 3, 2016
Gentle on my skin and has for sure helped reduce zits. My skin is probably what would be considered average with the occasional break out and can sometimes be sensitive to facial cleaning products. Overall this one has worked well for me. I've had it for a little over a month
on May 6, 2014
This is OK, but I really took issue with the amount of bubbly suds that got stuck in my hairline as I was trying to rinse this off my face. Not a problem if you're in the shower, but with a washcloth it was really labor intensive to try to rinse this stuff off. I also found it to be a bit drying. I found ultimate freedom from acne with a dairy-free diet, The Body Shop Tee Tree Line, and an Olay Facial Brush. I do continue to love the Burts Bees natural acne Lotion because it's really a great face moisturizer-- nice and moisturizing (some would call it too thick) for my dry skin without having to worry about breakouts.
on December 17, 2014
I have been more pleased with this face wash than any other. I was nervous trying it because salicylic acid has dried my skin before but it was higher concentrate. I've never had bad acne, just random breakouts around my mouth and forehead. I've been using this daily for almost 2 weeks. I've had a few spots come up and normally it takes a week or longer before they're completely gone. Since using this they're 100% gone in 2 days. I was shocked. I use to dab clearasil on spots as a teen (in the 90s) and by morning they'd be almost gone but that product hasn't worked in ages for me. I'm very relieved to have found this and the fact it's almost 100% natural is the best part. It's not drying and I love that it smells how you'd expect, I hate perfumed face products.

Update: December 15, 2015
I can't remember the exact date of my review above, but still using the above product without issue. I've repurchased a few times already and don't plan on switching as long as it continues helping. It really keeps "would be" blemishes at bay for me.
on May 11, 2014
I started using this face wash in high school, and still use it 6 years later. I really helps with my acne problem. I also use the daily lotion, and together I rarely ever get zits. But when I do, I use the hot spot cream and it works great!
on August 7, 2013
First of all, I love Burt's Bees and I like to see natural alternatives out there such as this product. That being said, this product doesn't seem to work for me, maybe it's my skin type or something like that, I'm not really sure.

I used this product as the directions stated, twice a day (sometimes even three times a day). At first. it seemed to control breakouts but it didn't clear me up. After about a month of diligent use, I saw that it wasn't really helping so I discontinued using it. I like it because it smells great and it doesn't dry my skin out, it just doesn't seem to work on my skin type.
on May 10, 2016
Recommended by her dermatologist. Amazon is the best place to get this product easy to have it delivered just when we need it. This product was recommended by her dermatologist. My son is acne and take prescription medication along with this. It is the only thing that has worked together. As long as he stays on it he does not have acne.

See 1 answered question