Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kidz Bop All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Today only: Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

Busy Penguins (A Busy Book)
Format: Board book|Change

on February 23, 2016
We have a whole bunch of books from this series and love all of them. My 21-month-old is currently going through a penguin phase, so we had to get the penguin book, too. It's a great, engaging book, like the rest of them. Nice photographs of penguins doing different things. I hadn't read the reviews so the pooping picture took me by surprise, but I laughed it off because I'm not a puritan about natural bodily functions. Everybody poops, what's the big deal? I've always wondered what the complainy people do about their pets. When they take the dog for a walk, do they cover their children's eyes when he squats and lets one loose? Or if they saw an animal at the zoo do it? Come on now. Animals pooping and peeing is a fact of life. Moreover, it's out in the open for all to see, not hidden in bathrooms like people. The kids themselves don't care, it's the adults who are shocked. My daughter was so impressed by that photo that it instantly became her favorite part of the book. She flips through the rest of the pages impatiently just to get to this one, and she calls the whole book "penguin poop book". She LOVES that page. This is a good age for it, too, because we're potty training and she's very interested in pooping, and in the fact that everybody and everything poops. She makes all her toys "poop" and puts them on the toy potty. Books help, too. She is similarly enthralled with the pee picture in the Busy Kittens book. It was that image that got her out of her funk when she regressed with potty training last month, after startling herself with a large fart and getting scared. After not doing anything on the potty for weeks, visually seeing pee again in the book got her interested again, and that same day she started peeing in the potty again, and being excited about it! So, these images help. You don't really see poop and pee out and about much otherwise, but kids are fascinated by it, and seeing it really helps move potty training along. I'd rather have it in a book with a cute animal, than have to bring her into the bathroom with me and show her my results (which some people do).

The only thing I don't like about the pooping page is that they could've picked a better picture, with thicker poop of a different color that's easier to tell apart from pee. I know penguins' creations are more liquid than ours, but in this picture it's a thin little stream of yellow, which looks like pee and is confusing. The penguins at our local aquarium have more of a soft-serve ice cream thing going on. Sorry about the details... But if you have young kids, you shouldn't be new to or afraid of poop anyway ;-)
on August 24, 2017
This book was perfect for my needs. The photographs are very cute and it's a cute story.
on May 8, 2016
It's a fun little book with photographs of penguins doing what they do best, look cute and busy at the same time. My 16 month old immediately took to the book, and recognised them immediately at the zoo a few months later, pointing and clapping away.
on March 19, 2017
Great book for kids.
on December 15, 2016
Gave as a baby gift to a family with a great sense of humor, not to give if someone is offended with penguin poo.
on January 6, 2017
Really cute. Got it for my little granddaughter who loves penguins
on December 21, 2015
Fantastic book for little ones. I enjoy reading to my grandchildren and especially like this book for the toddlers and babies. They love it!
on July 9, 2016
My 3 year old loves this book! She can't put it down. The penguin photos are so cute.
on May 10, 2014
My students love this book as an addition to our penguin library - even though board books are generally for younger children, my students liked having something different - it was a novelty - they paid more attention to it!!
on December 15, 2014
Nice photos and concept. Be forewarned -- there's a page for "penguin pooping" that has a graphic shot of a penguin going potty. I was both amused and slightly grossed out.