Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 374 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 518 reviews
Sandra Boynton writes, hands down, my favorite children's books. I learned about them when our school librarian bought a couple for my daughter. Her illustrations are adorable and her stories are too! Barnyard Dance is my favorite,but I won almost all of them. Some are educational (Opposites) and some are just fun (Dinosaur Dance). I have also bought these as gifts and everyone absolutely adores them. If you are looking for a short, fun book for a little kid, get one of these. They might not be complex enough to hold the attention of older kids though (but I don't know because I don't have any older kids).
on June 9, 2017
Sandra Boynton is my favorite for littles!! I bought this as a baby shower gift as typically everyone is buying clothes for the new baby and I wanted to make sure this little one didn't miss out on the fun of these books!! I read them to my son 20 years ago and he LOVED them! They were short enough and durable enough to get years of use.
In case you're not familiar with her, Sandra Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, director, music producer, children's author, and illustrator. Since 1974, she has written and illustrated more than fifty books for both children and adults. "But Not the Hippopotamus" was published in 1982. In the story, all the animals are having fun except for the hippopotamus who's too shy to join in. Finally, though, the other animals persuade the hippo to come join in the fun.

The whimsical rhyming lines and the colorful illustrations will hold a youngster's attention for the few minutes it takes to read the story. It's a fun read for kids, and a nice introduction to some simple vocabulary words for beginning readers. (Other than "hippopotamus," I only noticed one word that had more than two syllables.)

Note: There is also an interactive animated app of "But Not the Hippopotamus" (But Not the Hippopotamus - Boynton). It's a great companion to the board book. In the app, the reader has the choice of reading the text themselves or listening to a narrator (Meghan Adrian). Either way, touching a word causes the word to be pronounced by the narrator. Touching objects causes them to move or do some other action (example: on the bear and the hare page, every time you touch the bear's ice cream cone, another scoop of ice cream is added).
on June 20, 2017
My granddaughter loves this book, as did my children. Sandra Boynton is a great author with a sense of humor, good for adults reading the book and for the kids being read to!
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2013
Sandra Boynton writes the cutest, most charming books for children. I absolutely love them. They are cute, have excellent flow, and contain an amusing quirky quality that I appreciate. My kids love hearing them. I love reading them. The pictures are cute. In this story, the Hippopotamus is frequently left out. All the other animals do their thing, but not the Hippopotamus. Of course, the ending is adorably heart-warming.
on June 30, 2017
Another of our grandsons favorite stories to be read to them at bedtime. Can't wait till they can read it to me!
on January 31, 2016
I can't wait to send this off to my friend for her daughters! She has a a 5 year old and an almost 2 year old. The older absolutely loves to read and she loves to read to her little sister so I figured this would be perfect for both of them! It's really cute and and I like the artwork. It's nice and sturdy with thick pages so hopefully the younger one won't be able to destroy it (she loves destroying things). It got here before the delivery date which was great and the price was too good to pass up! If they like the story I'll be back for more!
review image
on June 5, 2017
My son is a huge fan of Sandra Boynton books. Great for bedtime since they are short and sweet!
on August 4, 2017
Cute book for parents of little ones or early intervention/preschool teachers. Repetitive text and silliness makes it a hit with the 0-3 year old crowd.
on April 12, 2017
Everybody is having fun...but not the Hippopotamus! Lol Cute story and rhymes well.
review image review image