Spring Deals Automotive HPC Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on August 25, 2011
I don't own this book, and I don't plan on buying it for my daughter. The premise that all the animals are doing their own activities and the hippo is left out is resolved in the end, but the final laugh in the book relies on a new animal "the armadillo" being left out. With no hint of resolution in the air.

Worse is the fact that Amazon doesn't give enough of the pages in the preview so we can get a feel for the story. I had to search for this book on Youtube to be able to hear it from begining to end. I understand intellectual property rights, but in the case of Children's books I feel we should be able to read all of the content electronically. If we were in a bookstore we'd read these short stories right through. Reading these books once does not mean we won't buy them, they're intended to be read over and over again. And if the fear is the images could be printed and used as a substitute for the real book, I think we can agree in the case of Children's books there's really no substitute for the real thing. And if a parent really is so hard put that the only way to share a story with their child is to print a paper version, I think we can let that slide.

Please like my review, and make this the most helpful negative review. Then maybe Amazon will get the message about allowing children's books to be viewed online in their entirity.
1111 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 1, 2006
This book gets two stars for being well-written, having cute pictures, and being fun to read. However, I am concerned about the content. If you want to bring up your children to resist peer pressure, then this might not be a good choice.

I'm sure the author didn't intend anything bad, but when the hippo finally goes along with the crowd to have some fun, some alarms go off in my head.

Clearly the hippo's struggle was with shyness, and the other animals certainly weren't doing anything "bad," but when my daughter encounters situations where others are having fun but she's struggling with her moral compass, I want her to have the strength to leave that situation and find some different friends who have their heads on straight.

When my daughter's a little older I'll ask her to help me write an alternate ending for this book, in which the hippo will find some real friends who respect his values and like him because of who he is, not because of what he does.
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 31, 2016
I can't wait to send this off to my friend for her daughters! She has a a 5 year old and an almost 2 year old. The older absolutely loves to read and she loves to read to her little sister so I figured this would be perfect for both of them! It's really cute and and I like the artwork. It's nice and sturdy with thick pages so hopefully the younger one won't be able to destroy it (she loves destroying things). It got here before the delivery date which was great and the price was too good to pass up! If they like the story I'll be back for more!
review image
VINE VOICEon February 16, 2016
Out of all of the Sandra Boynton boardbooks that we have, this is probably one of our least favorite. We didn't really understand the ending "but yes the hippopotamus!.. but not the armadillo.". We didn't get it. I would probably get a diff book next time. Her other books are great though!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 22, 1998
This is one of my favorite books to read to my son now 11 months. The ryming flow of the story gives this book it's good rythm. The author does a good job of keeping the story simple with a nice ryming flow that is not over done. It holds the adults attention as well as the childs. There are just enough words per page as my son looks at the pictures and turns the pages while I am reading to him.
I have the board book and highly recommend this type of book. It encouranges interaction from the child allowing them to turn the pages and look at the pictures without tearing the pages. I have found that my son is quite interested most of Boynton's books. I have read to him from a very early age and he will often pick up her books and page through them and bring them over to me to read them to him.
Boynton's books were recommended to me at a hospital sponsored child education class and I highly recommend them to you. They make great gifts.
0Comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 16, 2002
This is probably my favorite baby-age book of all time. Like the other Boynton books, it is easy to handle (the board pages are quite tough), very brightly illustrated with the most delightful drawings (imagine a hippopotamus hiding behind a tree!), and features a simple but wonderful story.
It seems that all the animals have wonderful things to do, and they scamper off to do them on every page...But Not the Hippopotamus!!! (a phrase repeated at the end of each page, to young children's delight). But then, something wonderful happens. The happy hippo is invited to join the others! And off he runs, full of joy.
But Not the Armadillo! And the very last page, the most nonsensical nonsequitor of all, is a lonely looking armadillo standing all alone. And hence the "amhoho." When my daughter was just over a year old, she began to talk about the "amhoho." When given her first push-toy, a brightly colored bumble bee, she squealed, "It's the amhoho!"
I don't know how long it took us to figure out that the "amhoho" was the armadillo on the last page of this book. My suggestion is: put a little amhoho into your lives with this fabulous book, the best of everything Boynton has done.
44 comments| 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 30, 2017
My son memorized this book and my daughter loves it too. It just makes me smile to read this with them or when they can start to read it to me! All books by this author are great!
on November 7, 2017
Not as interesting as the other Sandra Boynton’s. But, it would be a good book for a shy kid to learn on how to open up himself/herself.
on December 9, 2017
Can't go wrong with a Boynton book - great rhymes, excellent art work, and my granddaughter loves it.
on December 15, 2017
Love Love Love all Sandra Boynton books, especially the board books. This is one of my grandson's favorites, highly recommend!