Bubble Witch Saga 3 Vehicles Review HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on December 8, 2017
This was my twin’s favorite book when they were small. I don’t know where that copy is now, so I bought another just to have for myself as a momento from those joyous times. I used to be very expressive when I’d read it to them, using a sad perplexed voice in the first part, and using the ending as a grand crescendo; “And she just doesn’t know - Should she stay? Should she go? But YES!!! The hippopotamus!!!” It’s a good book for that kind of thing. Their eyes would be all shiny and they’d be sucking madly on their binkies, filled with - I don’t know what - glee? They’d just love it. It was part of their nighttime ritual. Tearing up here!
on February 14, 2018
My 23 month old loves most Boynton books but this one just doesn't do it for him. I think the story is pretty cute, albeit very simple (the hippo feels excluded and left out) . One small gripe I have is that Boynton uses "hog" and "hare" instead of pig and bunny/rabbit. My son has a speech delay and we're trying to be consistent with our vocabulary and we never use hare or hog. Of course, I can always improvise and substitute with my own words, but then it wouldn't rhyme.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This is another great Boynton book with clever rhymes and illustrations that also makes a clear point our toddlers instantly grasped.

Several animals are out having fun, a hog and a frog play in the bog, a cat and some rats try on hats etc... but not the Hippopotamus. The hippo lurks in each scene lonely and excluded until finally the others invite her (him? does it matter?) to join.

But then we see a new animal excluded, and the girls instantly get it. They should welcome everyone.

It's a great message for kids of all ages and told very, very well.
on September 21, 2017
I love Sandra Boynton books. I bought this for my 1 year old. Great story and a sturdy little board book.
on May 3, 2017
This book is very cute. I have a 4 year old son that likes it a lot. It takes about 3/4 minutes to read, which makes for a great quick bedtime story. Its good quality standard hardcover children's book. Its great for little ones because it has sturdy thick pages. This is a great addition to my sons library. It also has a lot of reparative words which is great for a child that is learning to read. I would say the age for this story would be best for 0-5.
on September 16, 2015
I actually need to order this book again because the second child loves it soooo much it has literally gone to pieces. My 3 year old can recite it from memory and loves it too, but my 1.5 year old loves it. LOVES IT. He carries it with him everywhere. I have glued it back together 3 times. He wants to read it Always. It is his Favorite book. And if I'm going to be reading a book 20 times a day, this one's pretty cute.
on September 8, 2017
I bought this for my 2 1/2 year old grand daughter. She loves it. The pages are very colorful. It is very well made and should last for a long time.
on February 14, 2018
One of my favorite children's books of all time. I give it to all the babies with a couple of Sandra Boynton's other books: The Going to Bed Book and Moo Baa La La La. Kids love the catchy, simple, rhythmic rhymes and the pictures are so funny.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 30, 2017
Another of our grandsons favorite stories to be read to them at bedtime. Can't wait till they can read it to me!
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2013
Sandra Boynton writes the cutest, most charming books for children. I absolutely love them. They are cute, have excellent flow, and contain an amusing quirky quality that I appreciate. My kids love hearing them. I love reading them. The pictures are cute. In this story, the Hippopotamus is frequently left out. All the other animals do their thing, but not the Hippopotamus. Of course, the ending is adorably heart-warming.