Oil month Automotive Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on December 8, 2017
This was my twin’s favorite book when they were small. I don’t know where that copy is now, so I bought another just to have for myself as a momento from those joyous times. I used to be very expressive when I’d read it to them, using a sad perplexed voice in the first part, and using the ending as a grand crescendo; “And she just doesn’t know - Should she stay? Should she go? But YES!!! The hippopotamus!!!” It’s a good book for that kind of thing. Their eyes would be all shiny and they’d be sucking madly on their binkies, filled with - I don’t know what - glee? They’d just love it. It was part of their nighttime ritual. Tearing up here!
on October 1, 2017
I love Sandra Boynton books but this one was disappointing. It doesn't really flow like her others when you read it aloud, and the message is pretty depressing. Just as the hippo finally get included the book ends with the poor armadillo left out.
Sandra Boynton writes, hands down, my favorite children's books. I learned about them when our school librarian bought a couple for my daughter. Her illustrations are adorable and her stories are too! Barnyard Dance is my favorite,but I won almost all of them. Some are educational (Opposites) and some are just fun (Dinosaur Dance). I have also bought these as gifts and everyone absolutely adores them. If you are looking for a short, fun book for a little kid, get one of these. They might not be complex enough to hold the attention of older kids though (but I don't know because I don't have any older kids).
This is another great Boynton book with clever rhymes and illustrations that also makes a clear point our toddlers instantly grasped.

Several animals are out having fun, a hog and a frog play in the bog, a cat and some rats try on hats etc... but not the Hippopotamus. The hippo lurks in each scene lonely and excluded until finally the others invite her (him? does it matter?) to join.

But then we see a new animal excluded, and the girls instantly get it. They should welcome everyone.

It's a great message for kids of all ages and told very, very well.
Sandra Boynton! I love her! The kids love her... The Hippopotamus wants to do all of the things she sees some other kid animals doing but she's too afraid to ask to play... Then they ask her and she is so happy and goes to play.... But not the Armadillo:) spoiler sorry... It is a really good book! Kids love it! It shows to be kind and invite other kids along if they are alone and look like they want to play... Good values in these books!
on April 15, 2015
Sandra Boynton's "But Not the Hippopotamus," "Moo, Baa, La La La," and "The Going to Bed Book" are three books that should be in every household with small children. These are definitely classics, for those who love snuggling and reading with their small kids. Silly and funny. These books have been "classics" and steady sellers for 30 years. A lot of little kids have laughed at the silliness in these books. Boynton did something really good when writing and drawing these charming and colorful board books. (My grown kids and I can still recite these stories by heart.)
on September 21, 2017
I love Sandra Boynton books. I bought this for my 1 year old. Great story and a sturdy little board book.
on January 31, 2016
I can't wait to send this off to my friend for her daughters! She has a a 5 year old and an almost 2 year old. The older absolutely loves to read and she loves to read to her little sister so I figured this would be perfect for both of them! It's really cute and and I like the artwork. It's nice and sturdy with thick pages so hopefully the younger one won't be able to destroy it (she loves destroying things). It got here before the delivery date which was great and the price was too good to pass up! If they like the story I'll be back for more!
review image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 15, 2017
Wonderful book. Well received as a baby shower ("Stock the Bookshelf") gift with another Sandra Boynton book (Moo, Baa, La La La!). My own 3 kids love both of these.
on September 16, 2015
I actually need to order this book again because the second child loves it soooo much it has literally gone to pieces. My 3 year old can recite it from memory and loves it too, but my 1.5 year old loves it. LOVES IT. He carries it with him everywhere. I have glued it back together 3 times. He wants to read it Always. It is his Favorite book. And if I'm going to be reading a book 20 times a day, this one's pretty cute.