Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 52 reviews
on September 16, 2014
When it comes to making a major win-win impact with your product or service, NOTHING can do for you what creating major BUZZ can! It's how my 1st book 'Conversations with Millionaires' became a #1 Best-Seller! So, following Mark's winning secrets to creating buzz can be a life-changer for sure!!
HIGHLY recommended!
Now, I'm looking forward to getting some great buzz going for my latest product 'Unlimited Home Business Success' as well!
Thx or your awesome brilliance, Mark! :-)
on September 10, 2016
I bought this book because I was planning some marketing and did not know what Buzz Marketing was. I love marketing anyway but this is hands down the BEST book on marketing I have read in all my (many) years! Not to be missed if you are doing your own marketing programs especially!
on May 22, 2017
Motivational book for word of mouth advertising.
on May 8, 2006
I absolutely loved this book. The author really knows what he's talking about and he writes with such humor that it's an enjoyable book to read rather than a slow-bum boring one. So far this is the BEST book on buzz marketing I've read and I've read quite a few. He lays out the concepts of what to do and what not to do so well and even though he has a buzzmarketing company he doesn't toot his own horn too much where you feel

like it's a commercial for his company.

This is the type of book you'll want to keep on your reference shelf and read over and over again.

I've used his techniques to make my novel a success and get it recently sold to Warner Books.

Jeff Rivera

Author of FOREVER MY LADY on Amazon.com
If you've tried to create publicity for a new business or unusual product, you know it's hard to get noticed in our media-dense world. Our time is so commodified that it's hard to pierce through the barrage and make an impression on a customer's mind. So you want to buy this book for ideas on how to accomplish that goal. Sorry, you won't be able to do it with this one.

This book has some good ideas, the most important of which is: do something nobody has ever done before. Author Mark Hughes provides several examples of instances where marketers (mostly himself) have done something so revolutionary that the marketing tactic becomes news. If you need object lessons in lateral thinking in the publicity business, the early chapters of this book are informative. Indeed, the early chapters are almost worth the cover price.

But as the book goes on the advice starts to become silly. In fact, the later chapters offer advice so wobbly they come close to robbing the book of value, because if you follow Hughes' later pointers you'll fall flat.

For instance, he talks glowingly of his marketing effort that put his brand name on urinal mats. Thus while men are having a pee they see his brand, in what he hopes is a humorous context, and the name sticks with us. The problem is that some of us look forward to the urinal as one of the few places where we still have a few moments of private thoughts in the midst of the media bombardment that surrounds us every day. When an advertisement intrudes on those few intimate moments, my reaction is to oppose the product, not embrace it. And even if that weren't so, why is it a good idea to advertise in the place where people are most likely to carve vulgar slogans on the wall? Ads in the toilet just ask to be defaced.

Similarly he writes about putting his ads on the backs of the slips we pull out of fortune cookies. He says this is good because marketers need to find places that have not already been saturated with ads as the new media for their names. But there are so few spaces that have not been slapped with advertising (even public schools and churches wear ads and slogans these days) that a backlash is growing, demanding ad-free space. Hughes seems here to be playing for customer anger, not customer attention.

The culmination comes when he suggests we use Britney Spears as our model for how to build buzz. A year ago this advice might have seemed charmingly naive in light of her merely average album sales and the fact that she hadn't had a real breakout hit since 2000. But in the wake of her recent public flame-out and her spiral into pathos this advice is downright absurd. Sure, there's plenty of buzz around Britney's name. But chances are you don't want your brand or product to be late-night comedy fodder. Suggesting we mimic Britney isn't just silly, it's the very opposite of good advice.

Any astute reader can go through the book and find similar problems. Sure, Apple launched their Macintosh with a genius Super Bowl ad in 1984, but their Super Bowl ad in 1985 was so awful that it nearly sank the brand. American Idol is a cultural force, but it has only turned out two real breakout stars. Burma Shave signs are iconic, but I can't find the product in the stores.

If you can check this book out at the library or borrow it from a friend, the first four or five chapters are worth your time and effort. But close the book no later than page 93 ("Wolford and Perhaps You") and move into practice. This book has some good ideas to start you in the right direction, but reading Hughes' myopic self-congratulatory suggestions will do you more harm than good. Better to just get started and trust your own creativity.
on December 22, 2013
Despite a long history in marketing I took away several things from this book and enjoyed it so much I bought a copy for all my marketing managers. its a fun, easy read yet reminds us marketers of things we already know but frequently need reminding.
on January 9, 2007
Traditional Advertising isn't doing the job well and it costs too much. The other way? Create a communication effort that's outrageous or ingenious or fresh enough to be newsworthy and see your message being spread by people through mouth-to-mouth advertising. Despite the author's being shocked by events such Janet Jackson's nipple show-off at the SuperBowl, he understands the power of buzz and does a good job in illustrating it didactically with examples of sucessful cases.
on January 6, 2009
This is a great book for breaking out of the classic box of conventional advertising. It's not so much a step-by-step how-to book, but it does give some basic rules and lots of inspirational, real-life examples. It's a very practical book that makes perfect sense once you read it. You'll have several moments of, "Why didn't I think of that?!" and will be happy having read it through.
on January 24, 2013
This item was really a gift. The recipient informed me that he got valuable information from it.
I gave it 4 stars because I didn't have direct indulgence.
on August 15, 2014
I work in PR and this was such a fun and informative read!