Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 93 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 112 reviews
on September 22, 2017
I purchased this passive antenna after the price dropped from $35 to $20. I'm glad I did. It has replaced my powered Terk Pi2 and equals the performance. It is the only recommended antenna currently listed in Stereophile magazine. Using my bedroom system HK 3490 stereo receiver I can receive 28 stations in quiet stereo around the Raleigh, NC area. It is well constructed but very stiff and very long. I just drape it over my window blind support braces. My only complaint is that it was made in China...
on July 7, 2013
I initially bought this antenna because I was trying to get an HD Radio working. I had installed a receiver that had HD capability, but the FM antenna that I was using would only receive a few HD stations even though more than 25 were transmitting in our area. A little research showed that the transmitting power used for HD is usually only a fraction of the power used for conventional FM analog transmissions, so the signals are weaker. The obvious solution was to install a better antenna, or at least one in a better location.

The antenna I was using was just a simple dipole, the cheap little wire antenna that comes with most FM receivers. I tried using a rigid dipole antenna that used telescoping sections rather than the thin dipole wires. It did no better. Then I tried moving it to a better location near a window facing the transmitting stations. That was a little better, but only increased the number of HD stations received from two to four.

Next I tried this Crane antenna. I really wasn't expecting much because it looks like an ordinary dipole, but after reading the reviews I decided to try it because it would fit easily in the spot near the window. I was amazed to find that it made a huge difference. I was now able to get all but a few of the HD stations in the area, more than 20 stations.

Later I tried a second one of these antennas in a different room for a conventional FM analog receiver in an interior location. It also had a cheap dipole antenna and got marginal reception. I tried moving the dipole antenna to a location near a window, which did help, but not enough. Then I decided to try again with another Crane antenna, and once again found a significant improvement.

This antenna seems expensive for what it is, but it has proven itself twice. It looks like a conventional dipole, but it is actually more complex, though it is hard to tell exactly how it's made because it's all encased in a rubbery plastic. It has a 75 ohm impedance and comes with a long 75 ohm coaxial cable and connector rather than the cheap 300 ohm flat twin leads often supplied with FM antennas. It's nicely made and sturdy enough to last much longer than the thin wire types.

I strongly recommend this antenna for any situation where a simple dipole isn't good enough, but where long range reception of weak signals is not needed. For those really distant and weak stations a larger beam-type antenna will probably be needed.
on February 22, 2015
As other reviewers suggest, this antenna will not do better than a di-pole, but what it does do because it is relatively stiff, is allow you to bend it into a shape which gives you the best signal available in your area. In our case, it was to bend the two arms into a somewhat circular "C" shape. My guess is that our problem is distance from the one station we want to listen to and interference from weaker reflections off of nearby buildings.

Given all that, no-one else in the neighborhood has been able to come up with anything better that works inside. Obviously a roof mounted Yagi aimed in the right direction would be much better, but we can't do that where we live.
on March 7, 2015
I am using this as an HDTV antenna. I'm not sure why, but it works fine. I have a tri-level home and use two of them, one for my downstairs HDTV which scanned 48 channels including all network stations. I have this one located behind my TV on the back of the entertainment center which is backed to a brick exterior wall. My upstairs set scanned 70 stations and is located behind a bookcase backed to a wood exterior wall. The downstairs set does loose the signal (freezes etc) at times, but the upstairs one has never had bad reception, Both have teen there about two years now.

I originally purchased it a few years ago to use with an HD Radio I'd just bought. In that set up the station reception improved, but my Cambridge HD Radio had a constant humming noise when the thing was turned off but plugged in, drove me crazy so I got rid of the radio but kept the antenna and decided to try it with the TY when HDTV's came out. Glad I kept them!
on March 10, 2016
I live about 15 minutes drive north of Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, I struggle to get stations with this antenna that I easily pick up in my car just outside the house. Yet, I get more stations with this antenna than I did with my home made antenna. So, this antenna is better than I can make, though that is not saying much.
on June 3, 2011
Be advised that you are able to bend either end of the "dipole" into patterns to better receive some stations. It indicates this in the included 2 page booklet. I got it to replace a simple long wire included in my sony microshelf system. I like to listen to the low end of the dial. I mounted it above a second story window indoors with 2 thumb tacks, although you will want to use small nails because the contour of the ends are beveled where the holes are and the push pins will come out very often. with no particular pattern(just straight across and down to the radio) I was able to receive 89.5,90.3,91.1 with no problems. I also attached this to a Digital TV adapter box and the signal was enough to receive 69.3 WFMZ-RTV. but the strength would have been better if i bent it a little and played with it. Comes with an alligator clip with seems to me that you are supposed to also use the included matching bauln with spade terminals. This will allow it to clip to a portable retractable "whip" style antenna but seems akward because you go from the built-in coaxial connector to a bauln adapter and I believe you screw one of the spade terminal ends onto the alligator clip. I am glad I paid the money for this instead of the cheapie $5 model by another company. Not having compared the two I would not know if reception would be same. It is a noticeable improvement over a long wire shoved in the center hole in the back of my radio.
on April 27, 2017
A fine antenna, with the added advantage that, I understand, is likely to stymie most cats who might want to chew through it.
on January 20, 2017
A complete waste of $20. Worse reception than a plain single-wire T antenna. When a single wire T antenna picks up 2 bars of signal strength on a Sony XDR-F1HD tuner; the Crane won't pick up any signal at all. Incidentally, the ad gives the impression that this thing has rigid arms which you can swing to a desired position; that's not so -- it's a thick but flexible wire, which you must attach to something to make them hold position. A complete flop.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2014
This antenna is easy to install and works well once you've got it configured properly for your area. I wanted to be able to pick up the secondary channels on my digital FM tuner and they show up and work fine. Precise configuring is tedious though as you get dropouts if it is not aligned perfectly. Another thing to note is this thing is large when spread out and takes a lot of real estate. I have my components in a stereo closet where the space is not sufficient to accommodate it fully extended, but it still works if you bend the sections the right way. That takes some trial and error. Since I'm only really interested in the classical station in NYC I positioned it around that and the sound is satisfactory. You'll also pick up more digital information on the tuner screen than you would with an inferior antenna. I would love something more compact, but in the absence of that this does the job.
on June 2, 2010
Compared to other indoor antennas I've had (tried)... the C Crane works the best! Most recently I used a Terk FM II. (which wasn't much better than the whip antenna on the radio itself)

At home I have no reception problems. I listen mostly to AM anyway. I also live only 10 miles from the majority of FM stations in this area.

What I bought the FM Reflect for, was to use on my little Tecsun portable radio at work. Where I work is only 13 miles to those same radio towers. Once I step into the building though, the reception is cut by 75-80%. It's like a tomb, and where I sit is about 50-60ft from the nearest window. With only the whip antenna, I'm lucky if I get a few channels...poorly. One of the stations I prefer, is 10 miles in the opposite direction, and operates with only 7100 watts. That station I cannot hear with the whip antenna. I could sometimes just barely pick it up on the Terk, and had just as frustrating a time using a very long trailing cord FM antenna that another radio supplied. BUT... the C Crane Reflect DOES pick this station up with greater ease. It's far from perfect, but much better. It also took me awhile to figure out the best position for it too.

As others have said, the C Crane Reflect is very thick, using RG coax, and manipulating it into various "pretzel" shapes can be time consuming, but sometimes worth it in the end.

This is why I say the Crane FM Reflect antenna works the best...from the ones I've had. AND, if it can perform in my TOUGH environment...then it can surely be an improvement in most other situations.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.