Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

UPDATED REVIEW: While I really liked the beginning of this book and found it had a lot of good information, the more I read the more I found it really outdated. I feel like it's written based on the "hard sell" - not a more contemporary approach of providing value and educating your customers and letting them come to you - in the "inbound style" of marketing. Definitely not geared for the online world of marketing that's effective today.

Also - doesn't really teach the "how to" of copy writing and the format gets really monotonous to read.
on September 22, 2017
I have worked in advertising and sales for many years and thought that I knew everything when it came to moving a product. To paraphrase the Thomas Edison quote at the end of the book, I didn't know one millionth of one percent. Reading this book gave me a much more in depth view of the science of advertising. I'm going to apply these tips to writing even better copy. Thanks Drew.
on September 29, 2017
This is a very easy to read book. I am just getting into marketing and this offers lots of useful tips and psychology.
VINE VOICEon June 22, 2011
CA$HVERTISING is chock full of great information. It feels like he started off with a 1,000 page book, and cut out the extraneous 80%, leaving you with 200 pages of top quality information. As a publisher, I am always looking for books that will help authors to either write or sell their books, and this is one of the few that does both. Read it and your writing will improve. Read it and you will sell more widgets.

Some of my favorite sections include:

The Life-Force 8: What are the 8 engrained human needs that writers can tap into?

The Bandwagon Effect: How can you build momentum by giving your prospects something to jump on?

The Elaboration Likelihood Model: How can you adjust your prospect's attitude?

The Six Weapons of Influence: What are the six weapons of influence? This section reads like a cliff notes version of Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion (Collins Business Essentials)

Message-Sidedness: How can you use comparisons to increase the likelihood of someone buying your product?

The Psychology of Simplicity: How can your write simpler, better copy? This short section is worth the price of the book all by itself. Some of the best, most practical writing advice I have read.

Directing Mental Movies: How can use the power of the imagination in your writing?

There are hardly any clunkers here . . . its all great information. Whether you are a seasoned business owner or a budding author, this is a book that will help you tremendously if you apply these principles. Highly Recommended.
on April 19, 2016
This book is a gold mine of examples!

On page 184 the author says...

""Advertising is not supposed to be entertainment! You may be entertained by it, but that's not its purpose. It's not a creativity contest. It's not meant to grace the walls of the Louvre in Paris. It's also not poetry, comedy, or a riddle to be figured out. Advertising is not about winning awards for being tricky, off-the-wall, or ingenious. Advertising - plain and simple - is about selling products and services. It's business communication with the goal to increase sales by interesting people enough in a product or service that they ultimately trade their money for it.""

Booyah! Mind blown!

Here's the deal. The author makes complete sense with all the agency examples and he reveals the truth behind the true intention of advertising.

It's about selling but in an ethical way.

The book covers a lot of ad agency examples and case studies that you can incorporate into your own campaigns BUT with your target market in mind. Pick and choose elements from the campaigns to include in your very own marketing materials.

You may or may not agree with all of his methods but the book is a worthy read.
on November 8, 2017
Read this twice and still need to read again. Jam packed with valuable insightso n how to stand out from my competition.
on March 1, 2012
This is one of the best single books on writing advertisements that work.

If you're a small business person seeking to write for your business or website, you really don't need. Even if you hire a copywriter, you should read this to understand what they're doing (or should be doing) and to make sure it's best implemented in your marketing materials. (Graphic designers are notorious for screwing up sales copy.)

If you're a copywriter this is a good book to start with, though you'll want to check out many others as well.

If you're writing short, PPC or banner ads online, where you don't have room to go on at length, this will help you. The guy who recommended it to me is making about $4K per day.
on February 7, 2014
I recently have moved to online marketing. I never knew what I didn't know. This book is filled to the brim with outstanding ideas, strategies and real life lessons from past titans of this industry with all of the wisdom and clarity the author provides. If you are doing any type of advertising be it old school TV, radio, print or the new stuff Facebook, twitter, blogs, video youtube and so forth, then read what Drew has put together. As a non advertising type, I feel I could hold my own with people who do this for a living.
on June 13, 2012
Every once in a blue moon you stumble across a hidden gem on Amazon on copywriting. This is one of those books where you can open any page up and immediately read practical tips to take your copwriting to the next level.

What I appreciate most from reading this book are the many references to research on how people think and act. This is not just another book filled with "theoretical" ideas. This book is packed with real world examples and how they relate to the mind of the reader. I am constantly reaching for this book as a reference. I will definitely need to purchase this book as a Kindle edition to have on hand for my computer.

For $10 bucks this is a steal. There are other copywriting course on the internet that cost 10 times the amount of this book and are not nearly as good as this one.
on December 16, 2012
Hats off to Drew!

I've read a ton of books on marketing - both digital and hard copy.

This one is an exceptional resource that took exhaustive levels of experience and research to author. This is one of the best marketing books I've read & I think I need to re-read it several times (although I will probably need to buy a new copy since I've underlined so much in the first copy I've bought).

It's truly a 'gem' in my treasure collection of books.

There are so many topics that Drew condenses into simple, concise, fluff free, & to the point nuggets of wisdom on a ton of topics relevant to marketers & advertisers.

Drew simply blew me away with his level of experience. I bought the book based on the reviews I read here, and now that I've read it myself I wanted to expand this books popularity since it over-delivered.

Happy advertising!