CAP Barbell Neoprene Coated Dumbbell, Single
|Price:||$1.75 - $49.30|
|Sale:||Lower price available on select options|
- Cast iron dumbbells are neoprene-coated for durability and to help protect you, the floor and other fitness equipment
- Help tone and sculpt your arms, shoulders and back
- Hexagonal shape for easy stacking and roll-free use
- Sold Individually
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
|CAP Barbell Neoprene Coated Dumbbell, Single||CAP Barbell Vinyl Coated Dumbbell, Single||CAP Barbell Rubber Coated Dumbbell, Single||CAP Barbell Neoprene Coated Dumbbells, Pair||CAP Barbell Vinyl Coated Dumbbells, Pair|
|Construction||Cast iron||Cast iron||Cast iron, chrome plated steel||Cast iron||Cast iron|
|Coating||Matte neoprene||Glossy vinyl||Matte rubber||Matte neoprene||Glossy vinyl|
|Hex design to prevent rolling||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Contoured chrome handle||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|Available in colors||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Available in black||Yes||15-pound only||Yes||Yes||15-pound only|
CAP Barbell's neoprene dumbbells have comfortable contoured grips for easy handling. Ideal for toning and sculpting arms, shoulders and back. Hexagonal shape is designed to prevent rolling and easy storage. The neoprene coating helps protect your floor and equipment. Sold as each.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
As well, the price was far better than many brands, both on Amazon and in local stores. They cost less than half of comparable weights elsewhere. Nailed it! :o)
(1) Endpieces are hex-shaped instead of circular. They do not roll away on the floor.
(2) Entire unit is covered in dense neoprene foam. No strong odor on my units. Covering on the endpieces reduces damage to weights and floors if dropped. Covering on handle portion provides firm grip even with sweaty hands. The dense neoprene foam provides a better feel than smooth vinyl coverings (some can feel slippery, some can feel goopy). A major concern is whether the covering will peel over time. This is my first experience with this brand, so time will tell; but I have had similar weights from another brand (a low-cost, sporting-goods-chain-store brand, no longer available) that I've had for over 15 yrs without peeling. Neoprene is a chemically-resistant material that doesn't get brittle with age, unlike cheaper plastics.
(3) The only reason I'm dinging a star is because they are not as good as my old ones (of the other brand). I bought 8 units ranging from 2 to 5 lbs (as gifts to my daughter and because I need some light weights for physical therapy). The old weights had contoured handle portions that provided a more comfortable grip. These weights have straight cylindrical handle portions that are not as comfortable, but OK. The coverings on the old weights had a relatively flat mold seam and few imperfections. The coverings on these weights have a pronounced mold seam and multiple bumps and bubbles. My only other minor complaint is the rather girly selection of colors; hey, manly men need light weights, too! :-) But I'm not downgrading for that.
(4) For the price though, these weights have great value. Similar weights cost 2-3X or more. Check the prices carefully when you select the weight size. Lighter is not always cheaper. Not sure whether it depends on available inventory. Right now, 2 lb and 5 lb cost about the same; 3 lb cost less; and 4 lb cost more. Some reviewers are annoyed that they are sold individually instead of in pairs. But the price is clearly marked as by the piece. Also, the lighter weights can get tossed in gym bags and get carted around; they can get lost, and it's good to be able to replace only one unit, if that's what you need.
(5) Packing from Amazon is very hit-and-miss these days. In my case, the box was just barely adequate. Each unit was in an individual plastic bag. Units were stacked in three layers, with some paper separating each layer, but not separating units next to each other. Fortunately, the box was small so the units could not roll around much and bash into each other hard over-and-over. My units were clean and undamaged.
Update (7/4/2014). Just bought 4 more units (two 2-lb units and two 3-lb units). Quality, condition, and packing same as the first 8 units I bought.
Note Added (9/12/2014). I have been attending physical therapy sessions. The weights there have the smooth vinyl coating. The neoprene foam coating on the CAP units have a much better feel and afford a better grip for sure.
Update (6/27/2015). I have been using the 2 - 5 pound weights daily for about a year now. They are holding up fine. The neoprene coverings have not cracked, split, or peeled. Just ordered two 6-pound weights directly from Amazon. They were new (CAP label intact), clean, and did not have a strong smell. Horrible packaging (or lack thereof) by Amazon. They were shipped loose in the manufacturer's box that originally held six units. Miracle they survived bashing against each other during shipment. Perhaps that's a testament to their durability. Four minor nicks on the neoprene cover on each unit. Can't tell for sure whether they were manufacturing defects or were incurred during shipping. But they were not serious, and I just dabbed some tacky glue on the nicks to seal them. If they had been more severe, I would have exchanged them. Amazon is very responsive about exchanging damaged or defective items.
Update (6/4/2016). Almost another year has gone by. I've been using the 3 - 6 pound weights daily (outgrew the 2 pounders). They are still holding up fine. The neoprene coverings still have not cracked, split, or peeled.
The diameter of the grips varies depending on the weight and is fairly large on the 10 and 12 lb. weights. I am a woman about 5'8" and usually where large gloves so my hands are fairly large for a woman's. The grips are just barely OK for me on the 12 lb. weights but they might be a little uncomfortable for people with small hands.
The neoprene coating is pretty thick and it makes the weights easy to grip and they feel like they are well balanced. However, the coating isn't 100% uniform, and on some of my weights there are little ridges and bumps where maybe the coating wasn't dipped and cured as well as it could have been. For me these small defects don't really affect the performance except that sometimes I can feel the little ridges/bumps under my hand a little bit depending on how I pick the weight up, but I don't feel like it would warrant going through the hassle of a return. I wonder if maybe all weights of this kind might have similar small defects as part of the manufacturing process.
All in all these are good weights for the money and I'm glad I choose to get them instead of the vinyl ones.
I suppose they still do there job just fine, but I'm still really bummed at the condition they were in since I expected brand new perfect condition like the previous 8 lb ones I had ordered.
Note: as with all the neoprene weights I've purchased, there's an initial strong smell out of the box and for the first few uses. It fades after a couple of days of fresh air, but don't be surprised if your hands smell--it washes off easily.