Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
CAP Barbell RSWB-40TP 40 lb. Dumbbell Set
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 40 pound set includes two handles, four 2.5-pound plates, four 5-pound plates, 4 collars, and a plastic storage case
- Set features ergonomic grips, comfort handles, and rubber trim collars
- Durable cast iron plates have a semi-gloss finish
- Collars are threaded for a secure fit to handles
- Rust and maintenance-free
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the manufacturer
CAP Barbell 40-pound Adjustable Weight Set with Case
Carrying Case Included
Keep the CAP 40-pound weight set neatly organized and easily accessible with the provided carrying case. Made of heavy-duty plastic, the sturdy case features placeholders for storing all the pieces, along with a secure-closing lid and a carrying handle for convenient portability so you can take your workout wherever you want to go.
Semi-Gloss Finish Plates
In addition to being conveniently interchangeable, the cast iron plates are durable and come with a semi-gloss finish for rust and maintenance-free use and long-lasting good looks.
Professional Knurled Grips
Each steel barbell is knurled to help ensure a steady, secure hold. Suitable for use with bare hands or weight-training gloves; either way, the knurling pattern promotes safety, stability, and a more comfortable fitness experience.
Bring the gym home
Enjoy convenient, anytime workouts with the CAP Barbell 40-pound adjustable set
Perfect for beginners and advanced fitness enthusiasts alike, the versatile weight set provides the tools needed to create your own customized routine with your preferred amount of weight. Work everything from your chest and shoulders to your biceps and triceps.
Start with a low amount of weight, and add more as you build muscle. Or change it up depending on the routine and number of reps. Adjusting the amount of weight is easy. Simply add or remove plates to/from the barbells and secure with the threaded collars. Whether you’re adjusting the amount of weight or using one or both barbells at a time, get the workout you want with the CAP Barbell adjustable weight set.
- Two 4-pound threaded barbells
- Four 2.5-pound plates
- Four 5-pound plates
- Four 1/2-pound threaded star collars
- Sturdy Plastic Carrying Case
Versatile dumbbell set for beginners or experienced weightlifters Easily and quickly expand your home gym Several weight combinations - heavy enough for light chest presses, light enough for bicep curls and tricep extensions Machined-grip, threaded steel bars with spin-lock collars for safety and security Convenient and durable carrying case for simple storage and transport Set includes four 2.5-pound plates, four 5-pound plates, two threaded bars, four spin-lock collars, and carrying case Manufacturer's warranty included - see Product Guarantee for complete details CAP Barbell is a leading distributor and provider of fitness equipment. Launched in 1982 with a small inventory of free weights and benches, CAP Barbell has grown over the past 20+ years to include more than 600 products in 10 categories. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, CAP Barbell is dedicated to providing quality fitness equipment at competitive prices, by constructively designing, accurately testing, and manufacturing its products to perfection. Fully adjustable dumbbell - up to 40 lbs.. Create several weight combinations. Threaded steel bar with spin-lock collars. Includes sturdy carrying case . Manufacturer's warranty included .
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
1. Smell: These weights do not smells like daisies; no dumbbells do. However, the smell is NOT as bad as people are saying. I would highly recommend leaving these weights outside (and/or washing them) to let them air out and control the smell, but it is not immediately overpowering. When the package arrived I slowly opened the box waiting for a toxic stench to explode out, but it never came. It was not until I lifted a plate out of the box that I noticed the smell people mentioned (the chemical applied to prevent rust), and it was not very strong. I left mine in the garage to air out and noticed a slight change in the smell of the garage, but nothing extreme. I would certainly keep them out of the house to be safe, but for $40 a quick wash or airing out was worth it to me.
2: Quality: If you are looking for professional dumbbells that are made of top quality materials then look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a solid set of starter weights, this is your product. I will say that the first time I removed a collar a small piece of metal broke off, but it did not affect the functionality of the piece. Also, I noticed someone mentioned that the collar lets the weights slide...this was incorrect in my experience. The collars seem to hold the weights snugly in place, so there should be no problems there. The quality is by no means great (unbeatable for the price though), but it is good enough that I trust it will last and serve its purpose.
3. Case: I saw a few people talking about how the case broke easily. The case seems fairly sturdy if it is treated well. A case breaking or not will depend on your delivery man. The weights are packaged very well inside a few boxes (Amazon ships it out in an excessively large box), and in my experience there were no cracks. The sliders to keep the box closed seem pretty lame, but I'm one of those people who isn't going to sweat it if the case breaks.
I hope I covered the main concerns that most people were having. My honest review of this product is that this is unbeatable for the price. $40 with free shipping (mine came in 2 days) is great, and these are exactly what I was looking for. And NO I was not paid for this review and think Amazon should be ashamed of including paid reviews.
TLDR: Does NOT smell that bad (easily fixed), decent quality, best bang for the buck for somebody looking for starter dumbbells.
UPDATE 1/25/14: I now have two sets of these (it was cheaper than buying weight individually), and they are holding up great after over a year and a half of use. I've noticed the collar shifts slightly when you get over 30lbs, but never enough that it's a problem. Be confident in purchasing these as starter weights.
UPDATE 7/31/16: My original bars are still going strong. The collar shifting still happens on occasion, but not to the point where it interferes with my workout. I've purchased additional plates for it and added them just fine - any 1" plate should fit just as well as the originals. So these have held up strong for 4 years...zero complaints here. One thing I forgot in the original review - you may want some lifting gloves. The metals isn't forgiving on your hands, so if you don't want big calluses, invest in a cheap pair of gloves.
But I started to notice SPLINTERS OF METAL in my hands and my feet. Very painful ones! And I traced it to be coming from the weight fastening bolts. There is apparently some kind of metallic paint on these which is chipping off in large and small chunks and making their way painfully into my hands and feet.
This is completely unacceptable. I would have given this item 5 stars but not only does this completely defeat the purpose, it's an absolute train-wreck of a safety hazard. What if one of those metal splinters got into my eye? The stick VERY easily into soft tissue. How about if I have my baby crawling around and she gets stuck with any residue I might have tracked in?
And what is my recourse? Go through a bunch of effort to send the product back. Meanwhile, I have to spend even more money to repackage it, etc.
As another reviewer states, having a few more weight plates around is convenient. I bought an extra four 10# plates on sale at the local sports store. Any standard 1" ID plate will work. The total cost of this set plus the extra plates was still less than 1/4 the cost of an adjustable set, and suits my needs just fine.
1) Size: Handle is 14" long. The threaded segments are 4.25" with the rubber ring on, which is 1/8" wide.
2) Weights: Width is 7/8" (5lb) and 3/4" (2.5lb). 5lb weight is 6" diameter, 2.5lb weight is 4.5" diameter.
3) Handles: With collars, they are not 5lbs each, but closer to 3-4 pounds. This means that with this set, most weight you can have is 33-34 lbs in one dumbbell. However, the handles are solid steel, and have no durability concerns at all. I bought 4 10lb plates, and the handle is able to take 4 10lb plates, plus 4 5lb plates (60 lbs total on the handle), and feel solid. The collars screw on tightly, and unless you are doing crossfit or swinging your weights around like a maniac, then tightness should not be an issue. The plates do not rattle at all, and the collars are tight during movement.
4) Regarding the smell: When you first open the box, you will be greeted by the smell of fresh metal and plastic. It isn't like a time bomb of grease smell like other reviewers have stated. Everything is dry, and the smell is only really noticeable if you get close to the weight, and even then it is pretty mild.
All in all, an excellent set of weights. I would recommend getting expansion weights at some point, because 20lbs per dumbbell isn't much. For a starting kit though, excellent value. Everything arrived undamaged, the weights look great, the handles and collars work perfectly, and the case is quite convenient. Highly recommended!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
NOTE TO SELLER: I will upgrade this review to 5 stars once I receive the missing washer for the spinner.Read more