Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: CHH Imports Cantonese Style Mahjong Set Enclosed By A Protective Box
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on July 11, 2014
IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!

This set looked nothing like the images provided on the bottom right! The ones I received where solid white and did not have a green backing to them as the images suggest. It is a nice full set with four extra blank tiles, dice and a counter. For the price you can not go wrong if you need a basic Mahjong set. I see allot of people complaining about the box that this set comes in. They must have redesigned this set! Even the box looks nothing like the one in the images on the bottom right. The box has no plastic at all it is a reinforced cardboard box with the word Mahjong gold foil embossed on the top. its a sturdy box. I however wanted to have a one of a kind special set so I bought a plain wood box and decorated it in a classic Asian style with dragons that glow in the dark. so that the set would be more impressive. I also ordered the wood box on amazon and i will post images in the image area on the bottom right of this page of both the actual set and with default box and the box i made for it. i do recommend this set and i think it would make a good gift.
on December 7, 2010
I ordered the CHH Imports Cantonese Style Mahjon Set in Vinyl Case. Amazon, as always, was prompt and effecient in delivery. My only concern with this product was the case. The vinyl case has a very deep crease in the bottom as if someone had accidentally cut it with a sharp object. This could have happened during packaging and those things could happen. It is a gift and I am unhappy about giving a gift that is inferior. I also found the case to be very poorly made. One of the corners of the case that holds the pieces in was ripped apart. The quality of the case if poor. That is something I can't fix. I don't have the time to return the item so I have opted to purchase another container for it.
on December 26, 2011
I decided to purchase these tiles even after reading the one review about the vinyl case not holding up. I thought it would be fine when I received it, but anticipated purchasing another case later knowing this style of case was prone to tearing (especially considering the weight of the tiles that would be in it). When I opened my case, it was already torn. The tiles are still in excellent shape and contained in plastic, no problem there, no pieces missing. The tiles are excellent, but be prepared for a case that won't last.
on January 24, 2013
I bought this mah jongg set as a present for my sister-in-law and her family along with the Multi-Color Acrylic Mahjong Mah Jongg Racks 18'' and was very pleased...cost was under $40 for both with free shipping. The set came in a sturdy black cardboard box instead of a vinyl case. The tiles are heavy double-sided melanite and somewhat smaller than most tiles but not as small as travel set tiles... A wall of eighteen double-stacked tiles on one side of the rack measures about 16 1/2 inches in length. The bamboos have rectangle loop figures and were somewhat confusing to the new players...although the dots or circles were nice and round. Numbers on the cracks or characters and letters on the winds along with the Chinese symbols are very helpful for beginners. We replaced the extremely small red dice with regular ones. The only problem we had was with white dragons. We used four blank white tiles...but considered four tiles with a small chain-like design around the edge...but that tile which has a B in the center is too similar to an eight bamboo...and we set them aside as spares.

A small pink pamplet called "Directions of playing Mah-Jongg"..."Chinese game of four winds" was included and is only useful for showing the beginner the various designs and a built wall: tiles are called "cards." The tile groupings were also useful to identify pungs and chows and kongs although these terms are not used; the point count for a winning "hand" is different. There are no instructions for using or building a flower wall.

All in all, with the multi-color racks, we were able to play several initial games with ease. This set will last a long time! My sister-in-law was pleased. And I will order a set for my own use: I play at the local senior center. (By the way...a friend puts her beautiful brocade-cased set and the racks in a small wheeled carry-on for storage and transport.)
on February 13, 2015
I got to admit, as an avid Mahjong player, I was initially pretty reluctant to purchase this set (my husband wanted to learn how to play) due to some of the negative reviews here, and the fact that all of the sets I've previously owned are either size 32 or 42. But since it's a 'training set' for my husband, I didn't want to waste my money on a standard set, just in case he didn't enjoy the game.

And thankfully, this set didn't disappoint me!

Here are the dimensions - Length 2.5cm, Width 2cm, and the thickness of one tile is 1cm.

Yes, it is rather small but I personally feel like if you are looking for a set to play occasionally, this is definitely a good choice.

The reasons why I didn't give this set 5 stars is because the tiles are all white (not two colors like the standard ones), and I didn't really like the box that came with the tiles. It looks like any shoe box, but smaller.
on March 24, 2015
As of spring of 2015 they come in a good enough cardboard box but who cares...you can put the tiles in anything.

Special note! If you want to play american mahjong, this set is short 4 tiles (4 jokers), so don't buy these for this game. Also, the pieces are in Chinese on my set (no numbers like 1, 2, 3, etc) so I had to add them with a marker for the character tiles. Also had to label the winds myself. Other than that it's a perfectly good set.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2013
The Mahjong set did not come in a vinyl case; it came in a black cardboard box which tore after my first use. Have had to reinforce sides of box with tape, so am quite unhappy with the case. The tiles are fine.
on January 15, 2012
The MJ tiles were nice but a little smaller than I thought. The case was really cheap, ripped on the first day of use, just vinyl covered cardboard. Unfortunately the price kept increasing in cart which was annoying. Overall not bad for the price. This was purchased as a gift for an after school program and is being thoroughly enjoyed.
on December 12, 2014
Very nice, cheap Mahjong set. The pieces feel really smooth and solid in your hand. It's a lot of fun to play Mahjong Solitaire with real, hefty pieces, like these. The cardboard box they were packaged in also seems solid - although the pieces only fit if carefully stacked, as shown in the photo. If you think you are going to play again soon, you can just dump the pieces in as a pile - but then the lid won't fit on top.

5/5
on September 25, 2013
This looks just like the really expensive set that I was going to buy but I'm glad I went with these. They were marked used/good condition but I'm guessing they gave me the wrong set because they were NEW and I say that because they were still in their shrink wrap.