Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 95 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 102 reviews
on April 18, 2014
First off, there are 95 questions on the CLEP test for this subject. There will be about 20 - 25 questions that you will not be able to answer if you only use this book. Different experiments, different scientists, different theories, different phrases, all were a blind spot.

This is how I studied.

First read the book. Finished? Ok. You didn't memorize a dang thing did ya? No, you didn't. That's ok.

Second, go back to chapter 2, the book starts from there, and there are many empty pages, so it's a very short book. Now for every single bolded phrase in that book, you create an index card, with the phrase on the white part, and the definition, sometimes very long, on the opposite lined part. I ended up with 260 index cards. If you have less, you're a slacker, and Freud will personally come smack you around in your sleep.

3rd, go through the index cards, memorize everything, don't worry if you can't articulate exactly what you wrote from memory, just make sure you have a good idea of what the definitions are, and DO NOT confuse one definition with another, it's a multiple choice test, so once you see the relevant answer your bulb will light up and you will click it.

4th, read the book again. Listen. The book is actually 70 pages long. You start from Chapter 2, because Chapter 1 is just info on the test and a bunch of BS info you don't need to know. There are many empty pages used as a divider between chapters, and there are many pages that have like a paragraph or less on them.

5th, take the online tests. I did not do this. I only took the first test which is supposed to tell you where you are weak and where you are strong. I got an 80 on it, and I took this test about 4 or 5 hours before my CLEP exam. It did help, because all I had to do then was figure out which terms and definitions I am confused about and straighten myself out.

The test ; I went there, sat down, saw about 25 questions that I had no freakin clue about, but answered all with common sense. The way the questions are written out on the exam are a bit more complicated than I thought, just read them slowly and carefully. Also, although I only got about 4 hours of sleep before my test, it goes without saying, sleep good, and eat well before the exam.

Good luck!!!
on June 23, 2012
This guide helped me achieve a 72 after about a consistent month of study. I also rented Myers's Introductory Psychology textbook from the University, and used it to bulk up my understanding of important concepts.

The key thing about this book is that it's a study guide, and while it covers about 99% of the questions on the exam (there was one obscure question about a psychologist whose name I didn't recognize), it doesn't give you a deep understanding of the tougher concepts.

My recommendation is that you study this guide thoroughly first and then take the practice exams to find areas of difficulty. Use a textbook to patch up those areas and you should be good. Know the psychologist's names (the ones mentioned in the study guide) well; I was surprised how many questions asked which psychologist did this or that.

I actually didn't end up taking the practice exams until the night before the test and they matched up very well with my actual score:

1st Practice Exam = 68
2nd Practice Exam = 70
Actual CLEP score = 72
on July 30, 2015
I had zero interest in psychology, but had to take a course as part of my core requirements. On the recommendation of a friend, I bought this book, read it through twice, then took the CLEP test and passed relatively easily. The test did have several questions about researchers or studies that had not been mentioned in this book, but the vast majority of questions were easily answered with the knowledge gained from this study guide. That's a great deal of tuition saved, not to mention countless hours of tedious classroom lectures that I really didn't want to suffer through. I've taken numerous CLEP tests, but previously in areas where I already had college level knowledge of the subject matter. This was the first time I tackled a subject on which I had almost no prior knowledge. Thanks to this study guide, it was easy to get those needed credits. I highly recommend it.
on September 3, 2015
I taught myself everything I could by cramming everything in this book over a period of 5-6 days - piles and piles of handwritten flashcards. I was not working. Once you've memorized massive amounts of information for science classes, this really isn't as difficult as it sounds. But, I already have a BA and a JD - I'm going back to do something like nursing. Have to take psych 101 as a prerequisite.
I did both practice tests as well as the one you can get in the College Board's own publication (I think it was $10 from their site). I did one from this book, then the Board's, then the second one in this book. I was consistently getting 67-73% right (that percent went up each time, as I reviewed and went through the flashcards again). It's not clear how many you really need to get right to score a 50. Anyway, I was pleasantly shocked to get a 72. The college's test administrator said she had never seen a score that high. I'm really a B student in everything, from Spanish to anthropology to Law and certainly in hard sciences. So, if you put in some serious effort on (perhaps over the suggested span of 6 weeks, perhaps not), this book tells you enough of what you need to know. Also, the nervous system explanations and anatomy will help me this fall in Anatomy & Physiology I, since I have more of an idea of what to expect!
on October 2, 2015
I took the Introductory Psychology test today and I achieved a 68. This book was my only study material. For a period of two weeks, I would sit down, and take detailed notes as I read the chapters. Although the book does not cover EVERYTHING, it does cover most part of what you will find on the actual test. Also, the practice tests were very helpful, since the format of the questions in the actual test was very similar to the ones presented in this book.
I recommend this book to anyone taking the Introductory Psychology test.
on March 13, 2017
This study guide is a great resource but it shouldn't be the only resource you use to prepare for the psychology CLEP exam. It's missing information about several topics that were included on the exam.

It does a good job of describing the different schools of thought in psychology, the types of behavioral conditioning, the various psychological disorders, and how the treatment approaches vary from one school of thought to another. The study guide explains the various stages of psychological and moral development as explained by various psychologists. (It's a good idea to become very familiar with all of them, as they're highly likely to be included on your exam.) It also mentions most (but not all) of the psychologists who were featured in various questions on the exam, describes the type of research they did and how it affected the field of psychology, and discusses their individual theories.

The study guide also covers the various parts of the brain and what they do, and describes the parts of a neuron and how neurons and neurotransmitters work. It covers a handful of other topics you'll encounter on your exam (like the types of monocular and binocular vision cues, and the way the brain fills in the missing information when you see certain objects).

What it does not cover is the process of hearing (including all the parts of the ear and what they do) and the process of seeing (including all the parts of the eye and what they do). It also doesn't cover anything about sexual psychology research (such as that conducted by Masters and Johnson). Those topics do show up on the exam, so be sure to supplement your studying with material from another source. There are plenty of online sources for that information, so don't waste money on a textbook for that purpose. Also, find an online list of all the major psychologists in the field and make sure you're familiar with them because this study guide didn't include every psychologist whose name turned up on my exam. (There's a good list called "Psychology Major Figures" on the SparkNotes site.)

One other thing I recommend: when you're done reading the main content section of this study guide, read through the glossary too. You'll find some terms and names in the glossary that didn't show up anywhere else in the guide.

The online practice tests are a great way to get accustomed to taking the actual exam.
on December 22, 2014
I found this helpful, I did the practice tests that were included (online) and found that compared to the actual CLEP test the questions had similar content, but were asked in a different way (I found the actual test to be more difficult than the practice exams). I began studying about a month before I planned to take the test, flipping through sections of the book a couple of times a week. The content is concise, and has important vocabulary in bold, making it quick and easy to read. The test asked quite a few questions about the history of psychology and famous psychologists, which the book lacked sufficient information about. I passed the exam with more than enough points, so overall it helped me accomplish my goal.

I also took CLEP for college mathematics and used the study guide from this same publisher and found that one to be much more helpful (I passed that test with almost a perfect score). The study guide for college mathematics was more difficult than the CLEP exam, but was great because I was prepared. Also, I studied for the mathematics exam in less time than the psychology exam.
on March 28, 2017
Hello everyone, I took my CLEP exam today (which I passed) and hence I am sharing my analysis of this book. This book provides a very very general overview of the topics covered on the actual CLEP exam. I compared the practice test in this book with the official CLEP study guide and the actual exam and I must say there is a LOT of inconsistency between the two.

I say this because, this was my 3rd CLEP exam and I have used materials from REA Study Center before which were served my purpose really well. However for Psychology I feel the reviews are certainly overrated.

Some topics are covered well here, but some are touched upon very briefly in this book. Also the actual exam questions are trickier (have closely linked options) which I found hard to distinguish before I decided to study from other resources.

Other resources used:
1. Study.com
2. CLEP Official Study Guide
3. General google search of key terms and definitions
on August 2, 2016
Excellent Book, If you study this book and have everything down you will pass this CLEP Exam. This book actually teaches you the main points of the topic. It will cut out all the "extras" of a college textbook. I have to say I was feeling very nervous after only using this resource for my exam but I passed with a 61/80. That well above what you need to get credit at any college that takes CLEP. The one thing worth noting is that it will cut out certain things that you might want to know but it will also allow you to eliminate at least 2-3 answers on the actual CLEP. This book prepared me very well I feel and will be using these books until they fail me which I don't see possible.
on April 21, 2014
The CLEP Introductory Psychology preparation book covered all the material on the practice exams but only approximately 30% of the material on the real exam. If not for other sociology courses and personal reading I've done I might not have passed the CLEP exam. Yes, the book helped me pass but I had the impression all material on the exam was in the review book. I give the book three stars for the material that was present but feel it gives a sense of false security and is deceitful. You'll need to supplement your studying with a PSY 101 textbook.