Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to HDTV Cable 6 Feet
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Capacity: 6 Feet|Color: 1080P|Change

on September 19, 2012
I purchased this cable in order to watch content from my Lenovo T410 laptop on a HD TV. The laptop has a DisplayPort (DP++) output and the TV has HDMI input.

Simply by connecting the ends of this cable to my laptop and TV, I had an 720p HD image of my laptop screen almost instantly. However, there was no audio.

The lack of audio was *not* due to any flaw in the cable. In the process of troubleshooting, I saw several websites which simply blamed this sort of no-audio problem on a "cheap cable" -- but, while this cable is certainly inexpensive (which is one of the reasons I got it!), it has no trouble carrying audio (and very clear audio, at that).

I eventually found a Lenovo forum which held the answer: "First go to your audio settings by going FN + F6, choose 'Audio Defaults + Settings'. Then choose your TV as the default audio."

This did the trick for me -- I instantly had audio (both through the laptop speakers and the HD TV).

The poster on the Lenovo forum also had this piece of advice (which I never followed, since the first step solved the problem for me): "Now the sneaky part. Push FN + F7 and choose 'Projector Only', then sound will come out of the TV. Took me forever to figure out." Again, I had no need to do this, but I'm re-posting it in case someone else does.

In summary, after some fiddling with my cpu's settings, this cable delivered all that was promised: crystal clear audio and visual from my laptop to my HD TV. Note: I have only used the cable on a handful of occasions during the past few weeks, so I'm not in a good position to evaluate its durability. As a previous reviewer has mentioned, when the DisplayPort end connects to the computer, it "latches" into place, and a small panel must be pressed in order to release it -- this "release latch" doesn't feel like the most sturdy thing in the world, but it hasn't given my any problems so far, and handled gently, I would imagine that it will continue to function just fine.
33 comments| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2011
I had been looking for something to hook my Lenovo ThinkPad T420 up to an HDMI based display (both a projector and a 40" TV). I almost ordered one of the cheap adapters I found on Amazon until I read the reviews that they got stuck in the Display Port on the computer and would not come out. I then opted to go for a cable with the Display Port on one end and the HDMI on the other end. This cable is great. Does exactly what I needed it to. I get full 1920 x 1080 on both the projector and TV which is the resolution they support, and the sound goes through as well. Couldn't be happier.
44 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2011
(I own the 15' version of this cable)
I bought this cable to connect my Dell Precision M6400 to a TV.
I knew that DisplayPort (and obviously HDMI) is capable of carrying an audio signal, but I didn't know my Dell was wired to have the audio go through the DisplayPort ... port. It is, and this cable is a credit to the DisplayPort spec. I can't vouch for every implementation of DisplayPort working as well as mine, but here's how it works for me with this cable:
(Windows 7 x64, btw)
a) plug HDMI cable into 1080p TV
b) plug DisplayPort into laptop
- computer auto-senses that the TV wants 1080p (or it is guessing, not sure which)
- computer changes my desktop resolution from 1920x1200 (16x10) to 1920x1080 (16x9 1080p standard res)
- desktop is now mirrored on the TV screen and audio is coming through the home audio system
I could change settings so that the TV is a 2nd monitor that extends my desktop or whatever I want, but in my case, the default behavior is perfect.
Great quality cable, excellent connectors that feel sturdy and like they won't fall apart with use.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 30, 2012
My HP EliteBook 8560p has a DisplayPort video output on it instead of the older HDMI type of port. There are a pretty good number of "adapters" on the market, and also short cables, but I wanted a durable end-to-end solution with none of the opportunities for issues that an adapter introduces. I wanted to get this cable from AmazonBasics or from Cables-to-Go, because I've have very good luck with both of them. As it turned out, when I was shopping, this one from "Cable Matters" was the only option that met my needs. I am happy to say, that I am not disappointed at all. The cable does great at sending high definition 1080P 120hz video and high definition audio from my laptop's DisplayPort to my TV's HDMI input. It works wonderfully, and I'm very happy.

The cable is well made and has good, solid, connectors on both ends. It is the correct length and was packaged properly. It is malleable, yet solid.

I have no complaints at all about this cable. The price was a little steep at $25, when I bought it, but considering there is no competition yet for this length cable, I'm not too surprised or upset. I can remember paying two or three times that amount for a similar cable at brick and mortar stores, back before there were alternatives.

I highly recommend this cable. If there is anything else that you'd like to know about it, that I forgot to put in this review, please let me know in the comments section, and I'll address it.

////// Update from July 2015:

The 25 foot cable that I bought a long time ago and initially wrote this review about is still working great despite lots of rough use. 30 days ago I bought a 2-pack of these cables in 6 feet, and one of those is also working great. The other is defective and if not in the exact correct position it causes the screen to go red. I just finished e-mailing Cable Matters to ask them what they can do about this defective cable. If I don't added anything else here, than you can assume that they replaced the defective cable. If they make me jump through hoops, or return both cables from the 2-pack to get replacements, I'll update my review here.
1212 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2013
Great product for the price and very well made but you need to verify the direction of flow between components otherwise it won't work. I would have given it a five-star rating if the description had highlighted this fact. This cable is designed to go from Display Port to HDMI. It does not work if you connect from a HDMI video card to a Display Port monitor.
1919 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2015
I had to return this item because I need a cable that goes from an HDMI output (my laptop) to a DisplayPort input (my monitor.) This cable only works in the other direction (From DisplayPort output to HDMI input.) I didn't carefully read the entire Amazon description, so that is my fault.

For anyone who reads this, be aware this cable will NOT work from an HDMI output (such as a laptop, computer, graphics card or other source,) to a DisplayPort input (such as a monitor or TV.)
on April 3, 2012
Ordered this cable to hook up the display port on my Lenovo W520 laptop workstation to the Hdmi port on my LG plasma TV. The product arrived on time. Hooked it up, and it worked straight away for both audio and video. The video quality did not look as sharp as HD broadcast on tv, or like the laptop display. But compared to the VGA alternative, this is a real step up.
on December 22, 2014
HIGH QUALITY Product! This the correct 6' quality cable to Connect laptop to HD Monitor using Display Port to HD cable. I use this for my home office setup, including a condensor microphone, and can make calls from VOIP !
review image
on May 9, 2014
Picked up this 6' cable to connect my Lenovo T410 laptop to my new LG 22MP56 IPS display. (3' was about 6" too short. 4' would have been ideal.) There aren't too many options out there for DP to to HDMI and this seemed like a good way to go without having to use an additional adapter on an HDMI cable. The picture seemed great, but a few times an hour the brightness would dim on its own, then pop back up after a minute. Worked with LG support and their determination was that it was a bad cable and the signal strength was dropping. I swapped it out with another cable, it's now working fine. Incidentally, I can also get the same resolution (1920x1080) out of the VGA cable that came with the monitor. As I wasn't using the DP port to transmit audio, it was no loss. Might try the DP port again with another cable if I decide to connect multiple displays. Incidentally, I'm not a video file or high end gamer.......just a guys that works at his desk in front of a computer all day and streams an occasional movie/TV show.
on September 9, 2015
When you read DisplayPort to HDTV you really need to pay attention.

You can go from a DisplayPort output to an HDMI input (tv being the input/ computer/etc being the output) but you CANNOT go in reverse unless you buy a special powered box that can do signal converting.

This is very important.