BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 9, 2013
Bought this for my Surface Pro. It works great. Windows recognized it and installed the drivers. It's fast and does the job. If there was anything to complain about, it would be its size. It's bigger than the Apple Ethernet Adapter but faster. It just seems like it could have been smaller.
22 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2017
I was having a weird issue on my home network where my router (Thanks AT&T) was acting completely bonkers. I was having issues with ARP/IP addresses. I spent hours trying to diagnose this issue and I came to the conclusion that my NIC or the router was the issue. I decided that buying this lil guy would be useful for future network troubleshooting and I couldn't really reset my router. I plugged it in and my router was yet again answering my computer again. I got the ok to blow away the router and start over. Now this nic sits in my tech bag to help troubleshoot future issues.

Pro's:
- Price - The price on this makes it something that should be in every troubleshooting kit
- Drivers - Windows 7 Ult seemed to have built in compatible drivers. I imagine windows 10 does as well.
- USB 3 - with USB 2.0, you would be restricted to 480mbps at best
Con's:
- I am not sure I can really answer this as I didn't use it for an extended period of time.

All in all, if you work in the IT field, this is a product you should own. You often times run into areas where an extra NIC can be useful. Since this can be used in laptops or desktops, is really cheap, and is very compact, I would highly recommend this. Now days, companies are releasing laptops that only include WIFI so this gives you a way to connect over a hard line. Also this works with Windows tablets. I should try it with android and see how it works.
I plugged this into my Haier Chromebook and it worked right away, no drivers required. I plugged in an Ethernet connection and was on the Internet almost instantly. This is truly a plug-n-play adapter without any drama. I wish I had learned about these adapters prior to my business trip to Alaska, where one of the visiting quarters didn't have any WiFi whatsoever. It is also good to have in the event of poor WiFi reception at a hotel.
Works well on FreeBSD 11.0 (GENERIC kernel). Decent throughput on USB3 on a MSI Cubi miniPC (no errors), but the default drivers may be limiting it to 100Mb.

On FreeBSD, dmesg shows the device using the cdce driver (generic USB ethernet driver) exposed as a USB Ethernet ue device:
cdce0: <CDC Communications Control> on usbus0
ue0: <USB Ethernet> on cdce0

For my purposes full gig isn't necessary and a reliable hardware/driver combination is paramount, so this works well for me. Performance-seeking FreeBSD users may want to look for an adapter with specific driver support.
on May 10, 2017
This adapter does exactly what it claims! I have a relatively new laptop with a built-in 100 MB network card, but internet speed well above that. The laptop also has a USB 3.0 port and I'm now using that with this adapter successfully. It was very much plug 'n play; I didn't even notice any drivers loading the first time I plugged it in (using Windows 10). The adapter does seem to run a little warm but it is has been used almost every day for several weeks now and has worked absolutely perfectly. I definitely recommend this adapter to anyone with the need to create an ethernet port using a USB port (particularly creating a Gigabit ethernet port using a USB 3.0 port!).
on May 9, 2017
I now have a laptop that connects wirelessly to my Network Attached Storage(NAS) where my music, movies, and photos are kept. Recently I went to copy about 20GB of music to my iPad. Talk about slow! It had to move from my NAS to my laptop over wireless, then to my connected iPad. I purchased this adapter, plugged it in, and it worked immediately, no drivers needed or anything. The transfer went *much* faster with this wired connection. Then I decided to back up my NAS to an external hard drive I keep offsite- 3 TB of data that time. This cable made it much faster. I am very happy to have it and love how it works.
on March 18, 2017
These work great. They do get a little warm when used for a few hours though. I got 2 of them. One for my mother in-law because her new laptop doesn't have an RJ-45 (Ethernet cable) port and I wanted to have one around just in case. My wife calls me the Sanford & Son of PC hardware.
on March 9, 2014
This little guy converts any USB 3.0 port to Gigabit Ethernet. Great for WIndows 8 tablets which don't have an Ethernet adapter built in. (Note: does not work on RT) Most of the Surface Pro machine usually have only on USB 3.0 port so I generally use the $125 kdlinks http://www.amazon.com/2013-New-Model-kdLinks-compatible/dp/B00A6288II/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1394392466&sr=8-13&keywords=kdlinks USB 3.0 Hub to connect to the only USB 3.0 port than plug the Cable Matters Adapter into the HUB. This leave you with an addition 3 unused 3.0 ports for connecting a hard drive or DVD or your Windows Phone or any other USB 3.0 device you might want to use. The benchmarks I have done using speedtest.net show that the this Adapter is faster than on my Sony All-In-One than the build in Realtech PCIe GBE Family Ethernet adapter. But it is certainly 10x faster than any Wi-Fi connection. Great speed low cost. Good investment. I have a 200 MB Internet connection so that is a bottleneck going of the network but when connecting to Network Storage of have drives mapped to other local machines Wi-Fi just don't make it. I get about 80 Mb/s over Wi-Fi to the Internet, I get almost 220 Mb/s over this Cable Matters Adapter.(depends on time of day of course).. If you find Wi-Fi frustrating try out this baby. You'll love it.
on August 9, 2013
After the first day it quit working. The packaging was inadvertently thrown away so there is no hope of returning it. I ended up taking it apart and saw that the red and purple wire were not soldered very well and were disconnected. The other wires looked like they are about to come loose at any moment. The tiny amount of glue used is of no use and all the wires move around a bit too freely.....Not very happy.
Not long after posting this review (in just hours), Cable Matters contacted me and sent me a brand new one. They paid for the shipping and i got it in the mail very quickly. They were extremely prompt in communicating with me and were surprisingly great to deal with (and i hate dealing with customer service)
I have had the new one for a few days now and it works great in my MacBook Airs. Now that i am fully confident that the adapter will work flawless (and that the company backs up its product) i can order additional ones so i don't have to keep sharing this one with all my other computers.
I would definitely not hesitate to buy from them again.
UPDATE---Still working great. I updated my Air to Mavericks, and it stopped working. I reinstall the driver and its working again. Still a great product.
on June 3, 2017
I plugged this into my MacBook Pro... as soon as I connected the cable from my home network, the adapter's lights lit up as I'd hoped. Turned off WiFi, did a speed test, and voila! Full speed download and upload, no more wonky WiFi. :-) I'm now running it through an Anker powered USB hub, and it works seamlessly in that configuration, as well.

tl;dr: This works instantly and perfectly with my MacBook Pro (2015), with zero configuration, even through a powered hub. A winner!