Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 96 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 103 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 13, 2010
Caution: I suspect that many reviewers in fact purchased a different product, and their complaints refer to other brands and other models of Y-cables.

The Cables-to-Go brand model 28107 Y-cable works well for the purpose, the quality is good, and the USB connectors fit well.

As described, the cable is about 6' long---but that isn't as long as it sounds---measure how much cable you'll need before buying one. 5' to 6' is ideal for me. But since the whole point is maximum power, you want to keep the cables as short as possible. 3' Y-cables are available, and would be preferred, if you can use such a short cable--for example with a portable computer. Try not to use extension USB cables or adapters with a Y-cable---there will be a little loss of power with each connector.

The long arm (with the mini-B connector which plugs into your hard drive, or DVD drive, or scanner) is almost 5 feet long. Each of the short arms are about 1 foot long, for a total spread of up to 2 feet and so, should reach USB ports even on the opposite sides of some portable computers. Of the short arms, one is red and labeled "power only"; the black one is power and data. For most users, it doesn't matter which USB plug plugs into which of your computer's USB ports, as long as both are plugged DIRECTLY into your computer's ports. If you happen to have both fast and slow ports---use the black plug in a fast port.

Since the whole point of using a Y-cable is maximum power, avoid using spitters with Y-cables. If your computer has only two USB ports, it would be okay to use a splitter for a USB mouse (or other data only or low power device) and the red plug of the Y-cable. If you need more full-power ports, a powered splitter (that has its own little transformer which plugs into an AC outlet) may be a solution. Even so, try to always plug the black plug directly into one of your computer's USB ports.

> Click on “Stoney” just below the product title to see my other reviews, or leave a comment to ask a question.
on April 27, 2017
If you've got an enclosure that for whatever reason came without this camble, or if your cable failed. This is the one for you.
on November 14, 2012
most of the usb Y cables give you a couple inches between the 2 A-sides. which is ok if you have 2 free usb ports right next to each other, and no interference from adjacent connectors.

but on this one, each A lead has an entire 12 inches to itself. so you get 2 feet of space in case you really need it to reach 2 usb plugs on the computer side. or opposite sides of a laptop, even.

the mini-B lead is about 4.5 feet long. add in the end connectors and the doodad that splits the Y, and you get about 6 feet.

also, the power-only A lead is marked with both a red connector and a printed label taped to it. which is useful if you want to connect power-only first and then data+power (so you won't hear a bunch of sad clicks as the hard drive does bad things to itself, which is what can happen if you connect them in the other order)

best of all, priced about the same as the no-name sort of brands. which surprised me since cables to go can often be a bit overpriced.
on October 11, 2013
i had a "y" cable that came with an iomega 80gb portable drive when i bought it. it was the only way i could power the drive, as it did not have an additional power supply and one usb port did not offer enough juice. when i lost the "y" cable, i had to find a replacement, and this product by cables2go was exactly what i needed!

the cable is thick (i assume that's because of shielding and not the wires inside) and feels very durable. it's color-coded and labeled so you know which usb type-a is power and which is data. it powers my portable drive without any issues. for the price, you can't go wrong!
on February 24, 2013
I bought this specifically for my CM Storm Trigger. The cable that came with the storm trigger is a single USB cable so it doesn't receive enough power from the computer. I had to buy an optional power adapter that wasn't included with the keyboard. I wasn't happy with the power adapter from Enercell because the plug was too lose and it would disconnect from the keyboard. Without sufficient power my keyboard ceases to work. If you're using single USB without the power supply, some ports will work but not all of them.

This USB Y cable with a mini-usb plug on one end solves the power problem for my keyboard. It fits snugly enough that I don't have to worry about it being loose. I can't reposition my keyboard however I like because of this. My Enercell costed me above 30 dollars, this only costed me less than 10 dollars. It's a worthy investment if your power issue is USB related.
on May 14, 2013
I am glad that I ordered 2 of these.
The cable that I had with the external hard drive often lost contact, seemingly from nothing & it wasn't long enough to allow free movement on the work surface.
This one fits well both to the drive & to the laptop, never a problem with getting disconnected.
The long cord is a huge bonus too.
The price is very reasonable & this is an item that standard office supplies stores don't carry for some reason. I found it out when I forgot mine at home & thought that I just pick up one... no. So, even if your original cord works fine, it is good to have an extra one.
The shipping was extremely fast too.
Highly recommended.
on August 13, 2010
I bought this to replace the cheap cable that came with a disk drive product which needed more power than the 500 mA available on each USB port. There are some great features on this particular cable that make it far supperior to the factory design Y cables you get with products.

First, the red plug signals that it is the extra power ONLY and not the data. The black plug is DATA+POWER. This way you can use slow usb ports with full power on the red cable and your fastest usb ports on the black cable which is the optimal configuration.

Second, the cable quality AND connector quality itself is much heavier, has better strain reliefs, and better shielding than the thin cables that come with products. This leads to better signal integrity and in my case, files that did not get coppied over because of an i/o error with the factory cable.

Finally, the price is right - I would expect to pay 3x this much in a computer store for the same quality cable. This is being sold for the same price as the cheap cables that you already have.

For all those "HEAVY" usb loads like big disk drives or wolverine card image makers this is THE cable to have in your cable box. The rest are undersized for the high power you need. I've had great luck with cables to go products in the past, and this one sure keeps up their high quality standards!
on January 12, 2015
I've been buying a lot of computer and iphone accessories lately and very rarely take the time to write a review. I just received these cables though and was very happy with my purchase. I was especially surprised with how well made and rugged the wires are. Reminds me of something that you might find in an industrial type setting.

I bought this cable to replace one that came with an external hard drive and the new one was far, far, superior to the one that came with the original package.
on June 8, 2017
Works well
on September 13, 2012
I needed this for an external 500 GB hard drive. The original cable had failed, and the cheap replacement cable I got only worked sometimes. This was only a bit more expensive, but it works perfectly. I've used the drive with several different computers running Mac and UNIX operating systems, and have had no problems. It feels sturdy and will hopefully last a long time. So far I haven't needed the extra power provided by the second USB power plug (red), the external hard drive is fine with the power from a single USB slot.