Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cache Advance Dr. B's Geocaching Beginner Kit
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on December 3, 2014
The two main reasons I bought this kit was the trackable tag and the Rite In The Rain log book.
The kit did not come with a Rite In The Rain log book as shown in the listing. The image shows a book that is about the same size as the books that are sold here on Amazon for $5-$7. What it does have is a little pamphlet with one staple holding it together. It's about 1.75" x 2.75" and says it's made out of Rite In The Rain Paper.
Also, the trackable is not the same design as in the picture. It was is a cartoonish dog. Nowhere in the description does it say that what comes in the kit can change. For $12-$15, it would be an acceptable deal, but for $21.95, this is going back.

Three surprisingly nice things about the kit:
-The microcache is much nicer than I expected. It's plain aluminum color, which is different than the picture, but I prefer it.
-The Leave No Trace card is very high quality and seems durable.

Two clarifications for the kit that did not affect the rating, but is not clear in the description:
1. There is only one trackable. I assume that two are shown in the picture to show you both sides, but that doesn't make much sense if you are going to vary which tag is provided. I had a feeling it was the case even though they don't explicitly say "one tag" or anything like that.
2. The box seems to be identical to the box in the picture, but does not have a gasket and is not waterproof. It may be rainproof, but moisture can get in.
3. It came in nice, official looking packaging.

TL;DR: Ultimately I wanted the tag and book from the picture, and it was not provided. What was provided is not terrible, but it does not match the description/picture.
on December 14, 2015
The only reason I purchased this was for the yellow logbook pictured. Instead, it includes some shoddy logbook that consists of a few stapled together pieces of paper (see picture below). Don't waste your money - you can make one at home for less than a dollar!
on July 21, 2013
Could be better for what they are charging. Has 2 travel bugs and Rite as Rain log which is probably the most beneficial items in the package. Otherwise, a small pencil, black felt tip pen and half the package is instructional material. Price is too much for what you get.
on October 16, 2015
Product was cheaply made and only a few things were useful.
The logbook and log sheets are home made. I could have made them better myself.
I included a picture for reference. All the stuff at the right side of the picture is going in the trash.
I'm only keeping the plastic box, the mini cache, and the mermaid trackable (This should've been gender neutral, by the way).
on July 19, 2010
The "Newbe Kit" is filled with everything a beginner/newbie needs to start their own caches. At the same time this kit was purchased, another kit was purchased from a different site. When they both arrived, the family was more excited about the contents of the Dr. B's kit than the other! We are looking forward to hiding the contents. Thank you for helping create lasting family memories!
on September 12, 2010
This is a nice kit to get started with if you are a first timer. This kit comes with everything you need to hide a geocache. It also contains some micro logs which are easy to copy.
on October 9, 2015
NOT what it is pictured. We received a mermaid trackable, and an itty bitty Rite in the Rain "logbook". There is only one trackable, and it is not the bug that my boys were expecting, I received a mermaid tag. ;( If I wasn't in a hurry, this would be going back, but we leave for our trip tomorrow! I do not feel that I got my money's worth.
VINE VOICEon June 19, 2014
Good introductory set for children. Yes, you could buy all the parts separately for less but when u need a cool/different birthday gift it is perfect. And there is something to be said for having a set where they the components match and fit. My daughter takes hers on all her trips.
on March 3, 2015
Disappointing. I was really expecting a decent log book. In the photo it looks like a durable softcover bound book maybe 3x4 or so, looking at the other items next to it. What I got was a tiny blank (not even lined pages) book the size of a large matchbook (smaller than a business card) that is simply strips of paper folded in half and stapled once. Seriously looks like a kid photocopied the "cover" and cut blank paper and did it themselves. The item shown in the middle with the 4 color logo was also not included, don't know what that was.

The rest of the items are as shown, and while the tracking item and micro cache are nice, I could have bought those separately or a lot less and made or printed the rest from the internet myself for a LOT less. The pencils, marker and "kit case" (which was cracked BTW) could all be found in your junk drawer at home or at the dollar store.

I wanted to like this kit and anxiously awaited its arrival. I won't be harsh and only give one star because I will use most of the items, but without the decent logbook shown in the photo, I can only give it 2 stars. I'm including a photo with everything placed as in the for sale photo so you can see the difference in the Logbook (this one has all of 12 teensy pages)
on November 7, 2015
Great starter set for a Geocaching enthusiast! This set includes everything that a beginner would need to start going out and finding their first caches. I like the fact that it had everything and that I didn't need to buy each item individually. The price was also very fair.