Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 156 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 205 reviews
on August 31, 2016
Brilliant and original idea for a book, with hilarious results. I laughed so hard I cried at some of them (and not just the first time I read them). It is hard to believe that the "professionals" who decorate fancy cakes are so illiterate and bone-headed about content. Well, maybe not -- they are decorating cakes for a living and not sending rockets to land on asteroids. Also some of their "artistry" is a little bit on the sloppy side. Highly recommended. One of the best humor books to come out in a long time.
on December 29, 2012
Whether you're a fan of the Cake Wrecks blog or have learned about this book some other way, this is a really fun look at some of America's most egregious, amazingly unrecognized-by-the-baker pastry accidents. The book is divided into chapters, with an introduction at the beginning, and the author, Jen Yates, provides some very funny commentary between pictures. And no, the pictures aren't all the same ones from the blog!

Be forewarned, though: if you're a baker, or if you know someone who is, you may find this book offensive. Cake "wrecks" are defined not just as cakes featuring misspelled words, or with poorly drawn graphics - they also include ideas of all stripes that just didn't seem to work. Popular motifs such as many styles of bridal shower and groom's cake are featured, as are many ambitious designs that seemed to be just a bit out of the baker's reach.

I recommend this for laughs - awesome as a funny gift and sure to be a conversation-starter if displayed in your home. We've all made "wrecks" of one kind or another, so if you have a sense of humor about your kitchen creations, you'll get a lot of laughs from this book.

Also, if you enjoy a certain blog and a print-version book comes out based on it, remember that purchasing the book is a great way to make sure the website stays around!
on February 4, 2017
I've always enjoyed the Cake Wrecks website, so I knew that I would love this book. I've bought several and given them as presents, especially to people who are recovering from an illness, because laughter really does help. And this book makes everyone laugh out loud. The pictures of the professionally made cakes gone horribly wrong are great, and the accompanying descriptions are also hilarious.
on June 18, 2015
I found this book in a bookstore one night and laughed so hard I was crying. I purchased this gift for a student who was graduating from a high school culinary program. Great for a good chuckle.
on April 25, 2017
Does what it's designed to do
on January 6, 2015
Definitely overrated. A few funny cakes, but super repetitive and not that funny overall. Could be condensed into 1/4 the length. Not worth the time to flip through each page. If you want laughs, get a book like Awkward Family Photos, Chinglish, etc.
on March 2, 2013
If you or a close friend or relative would rather view humor in hardcopy than online, consider a book full of well-chosen, well-captioned screwups. Not all cakes are as appetizing as the cover one, so you probably won't want to browse right before eating. Definitely don't look at it *while* eating, or you'll spray something in laughter. All you'll miss from the Cake Wrecks website are a few clever user comments and the relief of Sunday Sweets.
on January 29, 2017
This book made my school reading so much better I will always think about Santa's helper this is the best book I have ever read
on July 31, 2015
Most of book is funny - yet it does contain some sexual content which if I had known that it was in it - I would not have purchased it.
on December 28, 2015
This book is hilarious! I bought it for a gift for my mom, who always was the designated "cake decorator" in our family. Every time we look through it, it's still funny, and has us in tears laughing.