Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Premiere and awards newsreels
- Cast film highlights
Top Customer Reviews
The supporting cast is terrific as well, with Howard keel as the baritone singing Wild Bill Hickok, and Allyn Ann McLerie as Katie Brown, Calamity's girlfriend and rival for the romantic attentions of US Cavalry's Lieutenant Danny Gilmartin.
The plot is simple, fun, and entertaining; the whole family will enjoy this one from 2 year old Terrible Two to 102 year old grandma! There is nothing deep here for your mind to think about; no, this is a movie to just sit back and enjoy, and enjoy it you will.
Highly recommended for one and all!
Summary: Calamity Jane (Day) & best friend Wild Bill Hickock (Howard Keel) are always competing against each other for the towns best shot and biggest story teller. Both are in love with other interests who are in love. Nothing can change this and Jane's "Secret Love" (Oscar winning song - Day's biggest single hit selling over 1 million copies) is soon realized. The movie is filled with great music and a very predictable happy ending. A 1950's Hollywood stantard.
This OUTSTANDING DVD is presented in Full Standard Screen Format (before WideScreen) in beautiful Digitalized TECHNICOLOR & mono sound track. The Extra features include: Premiere & Awards Newsreels, Producion Notes & Theatrical Trailer.
Doris Day is delightful & very believable as Calamity Jane. This Warner Brothers Musical is a classic & a great family edition to the DVD library. You'll love the music too!! Enjoy.
Seems to me that after the huge success of MGM's 1950 musical "Annie Get Your Gun", Warner Brothers wanted to cash in on the musical craze (and the 1950's was an outstanding decade for musicals) with this 1953 classic. They even got Howard Keel, who was in Annie Get Your Gun! Warner Brothers knew what they were doing because "Calamity" turned out to be another huge hit.
The movie has it all; an enjoyable story, humor, glorious technicolor, and great music. This is the movie that introduced the beautiful song "Secret Love", which has become a Doris Day trademark tune. This is a musical that I never get tired of watching. Just bought the DVD and the picture and sound are great! However, there are no extras on the DVD. Highly recommended.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
One fun movie to watch, Doris Day and Howard Keel fit together well, They are both great actors an singers.Published 3 months ago by Dennis Hargett
Watched movie after attending HS play based on the movie. 9 yr old son actually enjoyed the movie more than the play.Published 3 months ago by rmc
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Westerns
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Musicals & Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Westerns