Oil month Automotive HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

California 37
Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 3, 2012
Their 2009 release established a significant departure from their usual sound and in 2012, they seem to be driving up that same highway...
"California 37" is fairly similar to it's predecessor: bulky, attention-calling tunes with monster choruses that leave you whistling their melodies (whether you like them or not) just after one superficial listen. There is a clear predominance of radio-ready structured songs ("Drive By") that showcase, most of the time, "pop culture" lyrics. These, for the record, name-check several celebrities and, at some points, sound a bit too overstating to be taken seriously. Terms such as "birthday suit" and "crappy purple Scion" are used to portray comic situations, but tend to sound a bit juvenile.
Though the similarities exist, "California 37" turns out a bit more eclectic and, might I add, exotic. It's pop rock smashed up against flamenco ("50 Ways to Say Goodbye"), gospel ("You Can Finally Meet my Mom") and even country ("Bruises"). What's impressive is that the songs work well with their different influences and some are highly memorable. But Train has its best moments when they draw out the tropical swagger of "Mermaid" and the urban beat and guitar distortions on the title track.
"California 37" is not, by any means, a great example of authenticity. It's a solid record from a band who is at the top of their game and wants to stick around a bit longer before reaching to new heights. This leaves us wondering when the "train" will roll again and, better yet, in what direction.
on March 24, 2018
A bit of a change in direction on this album, but still quality and not all pop like the next two albums. There earlier stuff is still the best.
on May 20, 2013
After only recently discovering Train and listening to nearly all of their CD's, this has to be the best of them all. There is not a bad track on the entire CD. I listen to it almost every time I get in my truck and it never fails to get me drumming on my steering wheel and singing the lyrics, though I can't carry a tune in a bucket! Pat Monahan's voice and elocution of the sometimes catchy, oftentimes heartfelt lyrics are amazing. If you are looking for a really good CD of Train's music, you don't have to look any further.....this is it.
on May 27, 2016
Train is one of my favorite bands and I always anxiously await new music from them. The stories told in the songs keep me hooked and wanting more and California 37 did not disappoint. If you loved Save Me San Francisco you'll love this album.
on September 22, 2012
Each album by Train seems to get tighter and tighter as an overall collection of songs. This album tells more autobiographical stories of the band and delivers more colorful references to time and events in the American culture. The album starts strong with "This Will be my Year" and then the huge hit "Drive By". Those two songs are followed by a pair of quality country crossover candidates "Feels Good at First" and "Bruises" (the later features a great duet). The quirky "50 Ways to Say Goodbye has everyone's attention as listeners try to decode the lyrics. Two other strong songs include the title track "California 37" (a dark view of marriage and relationships) and "Mermaid" (a new twist on discovery of new love). Weaker songs include "Sing Together" which projects a happy folk taste while "You can Finally Meet my Mom" touches another quirky theme. The final two songs "We were Made for This" and "When the Fog Rolls in" struggle to mix solid lyrics with the execution of a great tune. This is probably Train's best collection of songs ever and 8 of the 11 songs will be Train favorites until they release an album to this quality in the years to come.
on August 4, 2013
I was pleasantly surprised that this CD came with a full lyric card!! I love having lyrics of my favorite songs. I used to find lyric cards with vinyls. Yes, old days. Have you seen a CD with lyrics of all the songs lately!? Is it real? It is hard to believe, but Train has done it! Thank you!

As to the songs, I keep listening to my favorite songs, Drive by, 50 ways to say goodbye, and Mermaid.
on March 9, 2013
This is great music to play during parties or get-togethers. Not to loud, not the kind of stuff that might distract patrons from socializing. Plus, most of us know their radio songs by now ("Drive By" and "50 Ways..."). A lot of their songs sound similar to each other, but I knew that before I bought the album (thanks, Slacker Premium). All-in-all, this is a great way to spend $5.
on March 29, 2013
I have listened to this CD at least once a day since I got it. Liked it so much I bought one for my 21 year old to listen to on his trips home from college. Great to crank up & get you motivated to clean house by! Went & ordered some of their previous CD's. Realized everytime I heard one of their songs I really liked it before I even knew who sang it! Sorry train but this "middle aged Mom" loves you!
on February 17, 2018
Train doesn't disappoint! Good CD.
on December 23, 2017
She listens to it often and enjoys it to this day.