Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

UPDATE: I wrote this original review a few months ago and was so happy with this topper. Unfortunately, the topper's performance degraded dramatically as it aged the past few months -- it has become compressed and no longer has the same wonderful feel as when I bought it... downgrading to 3 stars. One note - the company did offer to replace this under warranty and were very very responsive... but frankly I don't think this is a warranty issue with one product, I think it is just how their foam reacts after several months. I am going to try a different topper on Amazon and see how that one performs.

With 3000 reviews already, I doubt anyone will ever even see this one, but I still feel compelled to write a review of this product because it has literally transformed my sleep and saved me from buying yet another $3000 mattress. We have purchased 2 mattresses over the past 4 years and each one has cost $3000... and each one has felt great for a while, then become too soft / less supportive. I literally would wake up each morning with pain in my lower back, and found that sleeping on my stomach or back were impossible - so i had to spend the entire night on my side, and would wake up throughout the night with pain. I just assumed it was my back and my lot in life, then we spent the night at a hotel and I had an amazing night's sleep. I found out that their mattress has a gel / memory foam component, and decided to add this to my bed.

WOW. No other product has been this transformative. The first night I couldn't wait to try it, and ignored the "air for 3 days before using" warning... big mistake, the fumes were intense. But we aired it out the next day, and by that night the fumes were 80% reduced. This topper cradles me and provides support that the mattress alone does not provide, and my back loves it. I do wish they sold a "pre aired" version of this topper as the fumes do smell really strong and gave me a headache....but thankful that they dissipated in a few days' time. My fault for not following instructions.

Everyone is different, so this may or may not work with you, but with Amazon's 30 day return policy it's a risk free trial. At least that's how I looked at it. So happy that I tried this, and hope that it keeps working as well as it has the past few nights. I'll update this review if there is interest.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions in the comments and I'll do my best to answer within 48 hours.
44 comments| 260 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 3, 2012
I'm a very cautious buyer - I spent around 2 weeks researching brands and different mattress toppers as I was on a college student's budget. This is what I found:

Densities of Toppers
2 lb/ft density - For side sleepers, you'd want firmer toppers so lower densities are better
3-4 lb/ft density - For back sleepers, you'd want softer toppers so you can sink. If you want a softer sleep, a 3 pound density is fine. If you want a fitful slumber of mutant marshmallows enveloping you, go for the 4 pound.

Thickness of Toppers
2" - It all depends on weight. If you're a tiny Asian woman or one of those tall and really skinny guys who weigh like 130-ish pounds, 2 inches is fine.
3" - If you're like a college student who weighs around 160-ish, this is for you.
4" - For people who are muscular or particularly enjoy cake.

Brand Comparisons:
Amazon won't let people post links but there's a site called SleepLikeTheDead that shows really good brand comparisons. Do a bit of Googling and you'll find it.

Miscellaneous Information
Even though the topper seems to be like an inch short of the mattress you're putting it on, it really doesn't make a difference. I thought it would look obvious that the topper was shorter than the mattress but it wasn't.
Also, you have to let it expand before you use it or else it won't be able to expand to its maximum size. Some do weeks, others do a couple of days, but I let mine expand for like 5 hours and I measured it with a ruler and it got to its 3" thickness so I decided it was ready.

The last site shows great reviews of the topper. I'm a a back sleeper so I had to get a moderately thick topper and I happen to prefer my sleeps to be analogous to being devoured by pillows so I got a 4 pound density. This specific topper is the HIGHEST rated 3", 4lb/ft density mattress so this seemed like a perfect fit.

I was still a bit nervous on my choice as $150 is a big amount for a student but my first night on it removed all doubts. It's been several weeks now and I've noticed no smell except for the stench of my own laziness as I refuse to get up for classes. It is great. You will feel like you're floating on a pool, except instead of water, there's memory foam.

I highly recommend it if you're a back sleeper of moderate weight.

EDIT:

Seeing that there are people who still comment on this, I figure it's time to give an update. It's December 2015 and this topper has outlasted not only two girlfriend but also the usefulness of my college degree. Most passerby's in my room comment of how soft and luxurious my mattress is.

Joke's on the them though because my mattress is $100 from Ikea. Kinda like baking a really crappy cake but having really good frosting.

The only thing that you should know is that it traps body heat more than a normal mattress. This means during the summer, I could get by without a blanket because it'd get too hot for me. My girlfriend thinks of this as a positive and loves it in all seasons.

I moved to a new apartment in July and just folded the topper in half. Don't do this because now it has a tear half a foot long on each side. The instructions do say to roll instead of fold so this is purely my fault. Otherwise, this topper has more job security than I do.
3535 comments| 2,794 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 28, 2015
The reason i didn't give it 5 stars is it is heaver and harder to move around than advertised, but i would recommend it instead of buying a expensive mattress, i weigh less than 200 pounds so i don't know how it would do for a larger person but it is very comfortable for me and i'm able to sleep on my back for the first time in along time, it molds to my body and comes back to its original state and the temperature is neither hot or cold, i haven't had any back problems and i have had back surgery on my lower back, you will need deep pocket sheets to fit over this item and a mattress.
on May 26, 2015
Let me first say... I have never wrote a review. I was very skeptical when shopping around to relive my horrible sleep patterns. I have an older crappy mattress that sinks in on both the sides of a king size bed. It's not like it dips really badly but it has definitely been used. I am on a tight budget and want to save for the great mattress. A lot of stuff purchased always seems it turns to crap, a waste of money. I was hurting and sore and feel like I just don't get any rest. When I came across this I read at least 1000 of the reviews. This was a lot of money to invest when it was coming from my new mattress fund I was saving. BEST THING I EVER DID! No joke, without a doubt, I wish I would of done it a few weeks ago, but I wanted to research mattresses and toppers and local companies and websites. My bed feels like a million bucks! But like I said, I have a crappy mattress. If it can do this to my mattress, I cannot imagine a great mattress with this on it. I am through with my bed and will not buy a new mattress, my bed is perfect. Buy this now. You will not regret it, it is not a waste of money. Next I will try to buy some for the kids bedroom, so they will get out of my bed!!! Ha
on August 22, 2015
We love this mattress topper. We've been using one for almost 10 years and decided it was time to replace it. Sooooo glad we replaced it with this one. Can't say enough good things about the comfort it gives. With regard to the odor when first taking it out of the packaging - Yes, it does have an odor. It's not overpowering, but is noticeable. So, after opening it up, we laid it open and over some items in our living room for 5 days before putting it on our mattress. I'll have to admit that there was a very slight odor remaining, but after putting on the mattress cover and sheets, we could no longer smell anything, and have never been bothered by any smells (other than probably my stinkin' feet and other unmentionable nightly body gaseous releases!) This is a real winner and you won't be disappointed.
on January 17, 2015
I ordered two twin size 3" thick memory foam mattress topper to provide extra cushioning for two excruciatingly uncomfortable guest beds at a relative's house. It was as if I had replaced the mattresses altogether with high quality memory foam mattresses. With this mattress topper it is now possible to get a fully comfortable and restful night's sleep on those beds, beyond expectation. As is the case with any brand of memory foam product, I recommend that this mattress topper be unpacked (arrives compressed and enclosed in plastic) and aired out for a minimum of a few hours before using, to remove what is only a temporary chemical-like odor. I also recommend the purchase of a thin, breathable cover to protect the pad (I chose the SafeRest-Hypoallergenic-Waterproof-Mattress-Protector), in addition to a deep pocket sheet set (topper adds 3" to height of mattress). I am 100% satisfied with this product and highly recommend it as a reasonable-cost solution for greatly improved mattress comfort.
on April 21, 2015
I read a review stating this would be ideal for back sleepers. As a side sleeper, after having already clicked 'buy,' I was a bit worried to receive my product!

It turns out it's ideal for side sleepers as well!

Before this topper, I was sleeping on a 1 inch thick topper from WalMart that I bought one night in a desperate attempt to make my springy mattress more livable. It was fairly new, after all, and in great shape despite it lacking any padding on the top. I don't have all the money to spend on this kind of thing, but with this topper in place, you'd think that I did. I'm thoroughly impressed and falling asleep is such a breeze.

The only problem is, I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to sleeping without it!
on July 8, 2015
I purchased this for my daughters bed which her mattress is very thin.. With this topper added it is the most comfortable bed in the house. It's been a month and my daughter absolutely loves it!!

Since it is slight larger the top of the mattress I used an elastic cover the fits right on top to secure it down to avoid it from moving under the fitted sheet.

There are instructions to air it out for a couple days, which I think is because it did have a smell when I first took it out of the package. However, I laid it out and put the fan on it for a day which was enough time to air it out.

I can't wait to get one for my bed!!
on May 3, 2015
I am short woman who has been sleeping on a futon for 1 1/2 years. I missed a mattress but did not want to buy a bed. I hoped this topper would give me the comfort I was looking for. I have been sleeping on it for a month and I am very happy with it. Something to consider: I run cold, so this topper helps keep me warm w my body heat . If you run hot, you may find it uncomfortable, but I figure all toppers will retain heat. Secondly, the smell other reviewers complain about, is real. I let it air out in my room for 2 days while I was out of town.. When I got back, I could still smell a plastic-ish smell and even after a month, once in a while, I can smell a trace of it. if you are super sensitive, this might not be a good for you. For the rest of us, I think it's okay.

one thing that surprised me and is a bit worrisome. This material is HIGHLY flammable. I have candles in my room; though not anywhere near the bed but it's kind of crazy. good hunting!!
I love this topper. I hurt my back and it was suggested to get a topper. I wasn't sure which one to get and I read so many reviews. I ended up with this one and finally was able to get a well rested sleep. I did order a mire expensive one a week ago to put on my guest bed. I used it for 2 days to see what it was like and I want to throw it in the garbage. It slides all over the top of the bed. I didn't have that problem with this one. I'll be ordering another one of these to put on the guest bed.