Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 14, 2017
Infinite Warfare just came out, and while that game is great, it lacks what COD had before Ghosts came around. Ghosts started a bland era of COD games- still great shooters but lack the initial passion that we had from COD1 up until BO2. I'm not saying the studios don't work hard on them (their work shows in the fantastic control, great production values and good plots) but they feel soulless now- "get the next one out! Make it futuristic again!". Again, they're still great games but you get my point. Going back to Black Ops, it holds up extremely well almost 7 years (holy shoot...) later. Three game modes- Campagin, MP and Zombies, and each is executed in what feels like flawless execution, though this review is going to go over the campaign.

BO's campaign is still the most interesting thing about the game. You play as a Black Ops assassin named Alex Mason through a series of flashbacks during a torture-interrogation by Unknown indivuals. The interrogators are seeking out Mason's apparent knowledge of "The Numbers", which Mason cannot remember. You experience the interrogations from Mason's POV, as he's reminded of events leading up to where he is now, and these flashbacks are where the gameplay takes place.

BO has the second best story of the series, after BO2- all of the main characters stand out from each other and are all wicked likable, thanks to the great writing and superb performances by the cast, including Sam Worthington as Mason, Gary Oldman as Reznov(reprising his role from WAW) and James C. Burns as Woods. Even Ice Cube does a good job as Bowman.

As with every COD, the missions are loaded with cinematic explosive set pieces. The series has been called the Micheal Bay of video games and that's not wrong- explosions at every corner, constant gunfire and the most impossible narrow escapes. The action is balanced and well paced thanks to the cutscenes and a few quieter stealthy sections. There are some gameplay variations as you get two helicopter sections, a boat section and a short RTS style section in one mission, but most of the the time will be spent on the ground with guns in hand. Plus it's a globe trotting adventure- you'll be going from Cube to a Russian labor camp to Vietnam to the rooftops of Kowloon to Soviet Missle silos etc. Each location looks amazing and the level design stays interesting throughout. The shooting action can get mind numbing a few times but thankfully the many cutscenes, above mentioned stealth and vehicle sections as well as the varied and great level design keeps the game from getting boring.

You have a large variety of weapons from the usual AK47 and M16 to the lesser used FAL and PM63. Each gun looks and sounds fantastic plus the shooting action itself is very satisfying. The gore and violence isn't as brutal as WAW but it's still a really violent game, especially during the Vietnam missions. The soundtrack also adds a lot to the game, including a few hit songs of the time as well as good original soundtrack as the background to your gameplay.

My complaints are basically the same I have with all COD games- unskippable in game cutscenes. The interrogation scenes were done with the game engine, and sometimes skipping them doesn't work. You can always skip the pre rendered video cutscenes but before and after a mission starts, you'll get first person dialogue and actions to start off the level before you get control. Sure when you first play you'll want to see them, but when you're replaying the missions for fun or on different difficulties it's annoying having to sit there and watch. They're super well motion captured and choreographed but being forced to view them even after beating the game is annoying. My other complaint is, as mentioned above, it can get mind numbing at times. I mean that may have been the intent, but it can take you out of the game for a sec. My last complaint is the main villain, who is pretty bland and underdeveloped. He's a stereotypical rogue Russian general from countless 80s action thrillers. He's said to be a horrible person, and is said to have powerful influence but when he's on screen he doesn't really do anything memorable to live up to his title as main villain. He does horrible stuff but he seems more evil off screen. Thankfully this was fixed in BO2, which definitely has the best villain of the series.

Overall, this is still one of the best of the series after all these years. Zombies is wicked fun and the multiplayer is great, giving the game what feels like endless replay value, but the single player is what the game is most well known for. Great gameplay, graphics, performances, story, level design and variety. BO2 did improve and is the better single player experience, but BO1 still set the groundwork for it. If you just want a great single player FPS experience, get this game. If you want great multiplayer and a game full of varied game modes and tons of replayability, et this game.
on November 14, 2016
Super fun game, plenty of people still play it online- multiplayer as well as zombies. For the dlc, though, you'll probably have to find people to play it with, which shouldn't be too hard if you look on the Steam forums. Just buy it and enter the download code they give you on Steam. By the way, it works just fine on Windows 10, and you can look on systemrequirementslab.com to see if your computer can play it.
on January 23, 2013
So, I am fairly new to PC gaming, and I mistakenly assumed that, like with the PS3 and Xbox 360 (at least from my experience) you could buy and sell used games and play them, no problem. But with PC games, you must buy them new (if you get the DVD-ROM version) or not at all, because once the product key has been used to register the game, it can never be used again, except by the original person. Most PC games nowadays force you to make and use a Steam or other similar program to install and register PC games. I bought a used copy of CODBO 1 and 2, and now they are both sitting on my desk useless, because I can't play them. The sellers, when I contacted them to return the games, didn't even want them back, and refunded me fully. Perhaps they were hoping to dupe some poor soul like me (which they almost did) who wouldn't realize that used PC games are useless. Apparently, something I never knew before, is that selling used PC games is illegal, and eBay doesn't allow it, so it makes me wonder why Amazon, an otherwise amazing company, allows it. Who knows. So, anyway, moral of the story, don't waste your time trying to save money buying used PC DVD-ROM games. Just stick with the good old 360 and PS3. Or, buy the darned thing brand new. Otherwise, CODBO is a bad*** game, and you should buy it.
22 comments|Report abuse
on August 25, 2014
This game came as a welcome surprise despite all of the very negative reviews. The campaign was very good for a Call of Duty game and the story was very convincing. I have this game on my laptop which is an hp 15t quad core i7 with 12 gb ram. My graphics card is the nvidia geforce gt 740m with 2 gb dedicated graphics. The multiplayer on this game almost like the console experience but instead gives you a server browser which has its positives and negatives. The positive to this system is that the game is not heavily hacked like mw3 pc. The multiplayer gives you what is to be expected from a Call of Duty game which is fun and fast action. The graphics on this game are beautiful and are very well done. This game is good for a Call of Duty on the PC but I would only recommend this game to people who like zombies and campaign because the multiplayer is slowly loosing its population.
on August 29, 2012
I have an i7 cpu with dual gforce 560 (SLI config) and my computer rips this game up in graphics. The mp maps are tons of fun and the best part about this game is how you can spend money on so many power ups for each weapon, and is way better than MW 1.. You can also change the way your special ops man looks.. like paint face, etc. The perks are a blast to discover, too.

This uses steam and its a breeze to use. Way more economical than the old way, and I'm all ready making friends on my steam list.

The only con is there is a limit of 18 players and its hard to rejoin your favorite server

And there is way more people playing this than any other COD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The multiplayer skill level on this game is unreal!!!!

What I like the most is gun customizations, and you can spend all day just deciding. I like the Uzi with grip and editable scope.

Dood.. get the game for $20.

The player cards and gun tags choices are so much fun to edit, and also check out the cool expansion packs with so many more huge maps like Berlin wall, Hanger 18, Hazzard (dictator golf course), Drive in.. These maps are huge and are a blast to play.

Black ops is my top game to date.
on November 15, 2010
I was absolutely a big fan of Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare. I did not, however play World at War or Modern Warfare 2. After all of the hype surrounding Black Ops I got sucked in and decided to go ahead and purchase Black Ops for PC.

So what is the end result? Extremely dissapointed by this release for one major reason. You cannot have multiple profiles in this game on PC which has several drawbacks. For single player, if I want to play through the campaign, I have to wait for my son to finish the campaign or I'm using his savegames. That's right, 2 people on the same PC cannot have separate save files. This really sucks because my son and I both love the game, but we can't share.

Multiplayer should be better right? Not! It's the same way. Since this is a Steam game (which should be included in the product description here on Amazon, but it's not), you only get one online profile. You can't even create multiple in-game profiles either. So if I want to share with my son again, I can't, and if I want to start over fresh to enjoy the leveling process again from the beginning, I can't. I suppose some enterprising hack has been created if you want to go that route and play around with settings and ini files, but I don't. This is a huge disappointment for me and I absolutely would not have purchased this game had I known these things. Being a PC game, I'm sure I cannot get a refund, but I'm going to try. If you can get past all of that, I won't even get into all of the crashing and performance issues people are having with this game. Google it, you'll see. It's a shame really, because this game could have really shined on PC, and it is probably a lot of fun.
4 helpful votes
on May 5, 2014
I've played in singleplayer mode, every CoD game available for PC up to this one and expected another good experience. This was buggy, locked up occasionally, failed to reload and had to be reinstalled more than once. On the same computer all my other CoD games function just fine. The repetitive lead-in with the very overlong series of images and narrative got to be very tiresome. I got tired of hearing about the numbers, etc. Several of the levels, even when I tried playing at the beginner level were extremely frustrating and I am an experienced CoD player. I could not call up objectives during play to see what was supposed to be accomplished and was reduced to just following the arrow on another protagonist that said "follow". This resulted in a slow learning process and way too much just bang and boom with little thinking. I will not buy another Treyarch built game.
on December 12, 2010
I have had constant problems with this game. Steam often crashes on launch, black screen on start up, various bugs, numerous crashes, etc. I consider myself lucky if I get to the main menu at all. Steam is notoriously buggy, and combined with a buggy console port? Good luck.

I have not been able to test MP as of yet due to poor internet speeds, but the SP is very lackluster. The sound is pretty awful. The guns sound like BB guns. Graphics are okay. Some spots look amazing, others look pretty bad. Not much of an improvement over the first Modern Warfare.

Gameplay is pretty boring. It feels like CoD:WAW. You die a lot for no apparent reason. Directions are unclear, objectives are cryptic. There are too many cutscenes where you lose control of the character. I stopped caring about the character because It didnt feel like I was in control, it felt like a bad movie, and I was just watching. I got bored halfway through the first mission. Going any further felt like a chore. I just wanted it to be over. Thanks god the SP campaign was so short, or I wouldn't have finished it. The plot was hard to understand at times. I didnt know what I was doing or why fairly often. I still play missions from MW1,MW2, and WAW. But BO has no replay value. There are no missions that I can bring myself to play.'

Its too bad Activision sacked Infinity Ward, they were so very...competent. Treyarch, not so much.

EDIT - I have now played multiplayer for some time, and I can honestly say it isnt that great. The maps are full of shooting lanes. Very little decent cover/concealment for slower and defensive gameplay. This is a pure run and gun. There are a handful of mediocre sniping maps, but nothing even close to the previous games. The maps just aren't much fun. Horrible spawns are still present. I would have thought they could have fixed the bad spawn location issue within the span of 4 games. Apparently not. There is still significant lag and stuttering as of 12/17/10. Treyarch still has no concept of internal and external ballistics. An amateur gun user would have a better concept of firearm and cartridge performance than Treyarch does. Some weapons literally defy basic physics.

In all fairness, I like the COD points system that allows you to buy the attachments and weapons you want, when you want it. As soon as you unlock a gun, you can slap an Infrared scope on it without needing to kill a bunch of people with the ACOG. All attachments are available immediately if you have enough COD Points. Your "persona" is very customizable, emblems, reticles, reticle colors, face paint,titles, etc.

That being said, I do not recommend buying this game. The increased customization does not compensate for the poor gameplay, bad maps, bugs, lag, and overall lack of fun. This was made to be a console game for 12 year old kids, not a tactical, strategic shooter. This game does not take advantage of the PC's strengths, nor does it take into account the PC communities desires. This is just a poorly executed console port.

Pick it up if the prices drops to $20, otherwise, just keep with MW1,WAW, or MW2.
on May 31, 2015
bought this when steam was working properly I managed to play modern warfare 2 and rogue trooper just fine for about a week on multiplayer on mw2 then steam started having connection issues but my connection is just fine wifi is working with all bars I tried making two steam accounts after the second account I thought id finally be able to download it and play it. now I cant play all three games!!! it says it needs to have connection to download mw2 again on my first account and it downloaded black ops on my second account but is having problems installing it saying steam servers are busy its basically a loss of $40.00 id prefer the disk version right about now
on January 1, 2017
I've ordered and played a bunch of other Call of Duty games on Steam and really liked them. Wold at War, Modern Warfare 1 & 2, and a couple of the originals. This one can't seem to run for long without crashing. It's frustrating because I'll get to a point in the game, it crashes, then have to start all over. Not sure if I'll be able to make it through the whole campaign since I'll probably just get too frustrated and quit playing it.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.