Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,987 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,347 reviews
on May 2, 2016
To start, my dad bought this for his XBONE and I played it a bit on there for a while. Recently I just bought Ghosts for my Ps3 and so I already had some prior experience with it. I'll be blunt, I have seen much of the campaign through my dad playing it and as such, I will personally be very unlikely to play through it myself. I bought this specifically for offline and online MP with my sister. When I first played Ghosts, it was offline as I didn't want to wait for a 533 MB update at the time. My sister and I played a few maps, decided on our loadouts and experimented around until we found a few guns we liked. It was easy to get a hang on the controls as it played similarly to UT3 and Borderlands, both of which we have played together. As it were, we were playing against bots. The bots are generally very well organized AI units, with a few issues. They tend to hoard you, the friendly ones that is, if you have an ammo crate in the area, this can make it hard to get around and hard to aim across a room, hall, etc. I can't explain the frustration I felt when I was trying to snipe down a long walkway on Strikezone only to see all of our AI team mates standing right in my sight, desperately shoving eachother for a new weapon at an ammo crate my sister tossed down. The enemy AI can be a little cheap and very unrealistic. One example I was sniping from a building on Warhawk and one notable AI, which hadn't "seen" me yet, turned 180 from behind a truck and shot several times from yards upon yards away into the wall I was standing behind. I watched the killcam and was shocked to see he was using an assault rifle with no scope, ADS, and could barely even see the window I was near. It was obviously very bizarre. Other times you will find that you go to walk around a corner to an AI that is shooting at you before you even finish going around it. Or you spawn back right next to an AI that is immediately aware of your presence. Sniping is also a chore as, even with a silencer and EVERY stealth related perk, I still seem to be found by the AI with relative ease. Moving on, the game modes are fantastic. Many, many modes to play, and great maps to choose from. The weapon selection and customization is also vast. And with the perks, you can really build a specific character. We only recently gained access to online MP, as the update was rather slow. I have played online MP before, but it was on my dad's XBONE, and he had already purchased many guns, attachments, etc. I was overall not thrilled by my initial choices of items. I disliked many of the default guns I was being forced to use, and I couldn't even enjoy any attachments. I know my sister will be very disappointed as well. The squad points are the reason I felt I needed to bump off a star on my review. I just don't like having to deal with default items and not have much choice in the matter as to what you can use. Especially playing online, I want to be at my best, and I cannot do that if I am given guns and items that I am either unfamiliar with, not good with, or simply do not like. It's a major fault that needed to be mentioned I think. We may skip out on online MP for now to try out extinction. Again, I have played extinction before, and so I know the gist of it. I must say, it is VERY fun. I love little horror-type elements being added and the feel of the mode is very intense and desperate. As it goes on it gets increasingly more intense and you have to work efficiently to survive and succeed. One addition of note is the Free Fall map, which I had prior experience playing. I was pleased that I was able to obtain it through the update and can't wait to enjoy it with my sister next time we play. Back to MP, I wanted to make light of a few of the many positive or negative effects of various elements we found while playing. One major positive is the killstreak system. The rewards can be immensely useful and can easily sway the match in your favor. Along with that goes the field orders you can complete for items that you may not have access to normally. There is one item that is particularly intense. The K.E.M Strike. It completely changed the way we fought on Strikezone, and forced us to change our playstyle to adapt to the new environment. It had both positive and negative effects. While I had several kills with it, I lost my sniping area and never really found another suitable area to replace it. My sister disliked it at first, as the map was totally different, and it was hard to adjust to the new areas that enemies could see you from that they couldn't have before. But as you adjust to it, you settle into a playstyle that suits the situation. I would also note that I have had absolutely zero experience with any other CoD game, so that could factor into my views on Ghosts. All that said, I would gladly give Ghosts a solid 4 stars overall.
on May 9, 2014
Call of Duty Ghosts is outstanding and a refreshment of creativity to the series! Now I have to admit at first I expected Ghosts to be redundant as its predecessors until I started playing the campaign. The campaign is really that good! I also want to note that I'm one of the few who plays Call of Duty for the campaign only and rarely play online. But here is my take on the pros and cons of the game:

PROS:
-Refreshed and invigorating campaign
-Larger maps
-Destructive and interactive environments
-Outer space, land, and ocean combat
-User control of vehicles (tanks and planes)
-Newer guns
-In depth knowledge of war tactics (submarine sonar pulses that kill nearby divers)
-Squad Modes (instead of playing online you can generate a created team offline to battle another created team of your choice)

CONS:
-Short campaign

-Lack of war wisdom quotes ("Friendly fire - isn't... I don't know with what weapons WWIII will be fought with but I know WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones... etc.)

-Small font and disabled subtitles

-Dorky/immature looking animations

-Some unrealistic physics (A helicopter swaying 2,000 feet side wards in less than a second to avoid missiles... a guard dog jumping 30 feet in the air, biting and killing the pilot, and then safely jumping out landing on all fours before the helicopter crashes... a marine falling through the roof of a building landing back first and walks away without any broken bones... space fighters slamming into debris and somehow surviving with open wounds and a cracked face shield in outer space)

-Lack of diversified explicit language (I'm sure "holy s word... holy s word... holy s word..." isn't the only strong language marines use in combat. Given the plethora of curse words in the ending song of Ghosts I'm surprised that they didn't add more realistic language in the game besides "s word, holy s word, and one scene of "you m.f.!" The language felt scripted and lacked emotional fluidity."

I feel at times that COD Ghosts caters a little too much to 8-13 year olds. It's hard to take the game serious at times when space fighters look like they're wearing diapers floating in space and over the top childish animations defy reality. With all of that being said the game is well balanced and a fun refreshment for the series! I personally would like to see the Ghosts franchise catered more to adults while other COD games cater to younger crowds.

I highly recommend you buy this game! This game is what it should be... fun.
on March 24, 2014
I remember watching a video pertaining to the release of this game and the name of the game sometime early January - February by someone on YouTube, and I remember thinking the ideas sounded unique and that interactive and dynamic elements were a cool idea with a new Sliding Feature like Black Ops II.

Unfortunately! When the game was released I was horrified to see the potential of something that I had originally heard about become a horrifying reality of disappointment.

Cons
- Insane huge maps
- Unbalanced guns (Only use The Honey Badger. You'll always win the gun fight)
- Boring Kill Streaks/ Support Streaks
- The deception and lies about Dedicated Servers
- Adopted Microtransactions from Black Ops II
- Pointless Character customization
- Gun DLC
- Thermal, Tracker Sight
- Amplify! (People just rotate in mindless circles waiting to hear footsteps and then proceed to kill you)
- Spawns!
- Camos
- Operations when they were first released was the worst thing imaginable
- Squad Points
- Prestiging has absolutely no incentive at all! No reason to level up for anything.
- You can buy things now? lol
- Generically boring attachments and guns.
- Health that is associated with players has caused people to camp.
- Free Fall Map Pre-Oder Bonus lie
- Season Pass incentive deception (Releasing the Ghost Mask Tomorrow)
- Weapon Attachment Operations to unlock recitals are ridiculously annoying and insulting.
- Contextual Lean!

Pros
- Dynamic Map Environments
- Field Orders
- Juggernaut Manic Kill Streak
- Cranked Mode. (Very fun, but ruined by Camping and the Community)
- Sliding (Even though Pointless, but fun)

Then, as the game has finally reached a level of absurdity someone had mentioned what Infinity Wards true "Deceptive" intentions were, and that was to release these horrific maps, and then release new DLC Maps that reminded me of the days back in Call Of Duty 4 with three directions in map that are small/medium size that were fun, and looked beautiful. This ultimately proves everything they've done was intentional to generate more money for DLC. However, I think the Community has finally seen and is exhausted and sick of all lies and disrespect, and quit pretending there was ever hope of seeing a game that Activision truly was proud of ever again. (Sadly)

I personally think this game had an enormous amount of potential that could have been a excellent game, but it was ruined by the tools people were provided to play with and the amount of problems they were plagued with. (MAPS!) Even though this game has seen very frustrated and negative reviews, it was still the #1 seller in January and February. Who's buying this game still? (lol) Activision has even announced that there are three Developers releasing Call Of Duty now! lol? One can only hope (Me & others) that maybe one day that we will eventually see the days of Call Of Duty 4 again.
on November 30, 2016
This is one of the more mediocre games I've played in my life. I knew this had questionable reviews when it released in 2013, and has largely been considered one of the worst Call of Duty games to be released. I agree with this sentiment. However, it's worth noting that the worst Call of Duty is still an average game. Just about every CoD plays well and has enjoyable moments here and there; it just happens that the ones in this game are few and far between. The campaign is fun enough to play, although the cliffhanger ending is even more disappointing now that it doesn't seem like the Ghosts series will be moving forward. My real issue is with the multiplayer - the true meat of a CoD game. The maps are sprawling and poorly laid out, the guns feel flat, the TTK is so fast that I usually don't have a chance to fight back before I get killed. It's just not very fun, especially stacked up against the Black Ops and Modern Warfare games. Overall, it's a pretty amazingly average title. Worth a look if it's cheap (I bought it because it was under $10) but don't expect much!
I'm not a tech geek or a game geek, but I do enjoy playing the online war games, despite my ripe old age of 51. LOL
I love all of the Call of Duty games and it is pretty much the only game I play lately.

Sure, it's different than the others. They are always a bit different each time a new one comes out and it takes some getting used to. The frustration of trying to figure out the new platforms can cause many people to rush in and place a negative review before they take the time to work out all of the new changes to the game. I've felt the same way each time, but then I eventually get used to it and like it until the next version comes out. Ha!

Now if I could only get a Playstation 4! :)
on December 16, 2013
While Call of Duty is often regarded as the epitome of the annualized, cynically produced, lazily constructed videogame franchise, I've always maintained that both Infinity Ward and Treyarch expended much more effort than they were ever given credit for.

Whether it's the underestimated storytelling prowess of Modern Warfare or the noble efforts to revitalize the COD formula with Black Ops, the overwhelmingly popular series is far more cognizant of its own criticisms than many like to believe.

My defense of the consistent quality of Call of Duty has certainly caught criticism of its own. Indeed, I am lauded as a hypocrite for daring to suggest that Modern Warfare 3 was not objectively, factually, a mediocre game. I still believe that, and I still have respect for Call of Duty as a series. However, I've always been mindful that the gravy train cannot last forever, and as "military shooters" are in 2013 what World War II shooters were in 2008, it's high time Call of Duty underwent another dramatic transformation, the likes of which gave us the original Modern Warfare.

Black Ops II was a step forward in this regard, an earnest attempt to inject fresh life into a flagging idea. By comparison, Ghosts is not only a failure to capitalize on the goodwill Black Ops II earned, it's a disappointing step backward.

While most fans consider their Call of Duty campaigns to be little more than additional fluff, tacked onto the multiplayer, I've always found them a compelling draw. The stories aren't the most engrossing, nor are they particularly deep, but they are at least energetic, explosive, and highly effective at drawing a reaction from the player, even if a few cheap tricks are employed the get it. Ghosts, by contrast, offers a startlingly lethargic solo experience, with a story lacking in character -- or indeed, characters -- and going through the expected motions with little evidenced enthusiasm.

The campaign isn't exactly bad, but it is a banal shooting gallery without the remarkable setpieces or memorable moments to carry it. Very much a COD-by-numbers affair, players quickly blitz through the usual tasks with dutiful obligation. Indeed, "obligation" is a fitting word to use when talking about Ghosts' solo missions -- the obligatory bit where a temporary player character dies, the obligatory aircraft sequence, the obligatory escape while shooting things from the back of a vehicle, the obligatory sniping part, the obligatory chapter where you're walking quietly in grass. More than any other Call of Duty, there is an overwhelming sense of having been there many times, and having done that more than you can count.

The combat is solid, but its solidarity is matched only by its tepidness. You move from small wall to small wall, shooting the enemies ducking behind their own walls, and avoiding their endless grenades. After the mission variety and unique optional objectives found in Black Ops II, it's difficult to go back to "normal" Call of Duty, which feels comparatively dry and plodding. Without an interesting story (the American invasion plot feels like a rehash of Modern Warfare 2), and without the usual explosive pace I've come to expect, there's really very little worth experiencing here.

Ghosts' one big attempt to stand out is the inclusion of Riley, a dog. It's a dog. That's what it is. In missions where Riley accompanies you, you can press a button to make the dog attack an enemy. Every now and then, you might get to control the dog and let it sneak around in grass to attack people. That's about it. There's something about the game industry that compels it to market dogs as massive, game changing inclusions in games. They never have been, and if Ghosts is a continuation of a trend, they probably never will.

Without a campaign of note, Call of Duty hinges on multiplayer more than ever and ... it's okay. As always, various tweaks and refinements have been added, but Ghosts' online efforts suffer in the same way its campaign has -- the previous installment added too much, and did too many things better, for this to be considered a worthy successor. While there are some new toys to play with, and you can even customize the look of your character (as well as play as a woman, finally), the core experience feels like business as usual, moreso since we've lost the near-future gadgets found in 2012's installment.

A new mode, Squads, allows you to command your own team of characters in a multiplayer scenario, cooperating with friends and challenging others with AI-controlled teammates. I'll be honest, I don't really get the point. You're not commanding anybody, or doing much more than experiencing an official simulation of a multiplayer match with half a lobby full. Its presence isn't offensive, and it may be of use to total newcomers who aren't ready to jump into full competition, but it failed to really excite me.

If one is to be diplomatic, one can say Ghosts is still better than a lot of cornball military shooter knock-offs, but formula and familiarity have won the day, as Infinity Ward finds itself too afraid to shake anything up in too dramatic a fashion. As with the campaign, a checklist of obligatory elements appears to have been steadily worked through, as the usual format of ranking, unlocking, and customization trundles along with methodical reliability.

And don't get me wrong, it's as reliable as it's always been -- if all you've ever really wanted is the same Call of Duty every single year, then you're going to love this, because it's as Call of Duty as Call of Duty gets. A few cute modes help break up the usual stable of gametypes, such as Infected (one player slowly turns the others into zombie-like creatures) and Cranked (chaining kills makes you tougher, faster, and able to score more points). These modes can make things less monotonous, but they riff on ideas seen in many other shooters, and really aren't worth the buying the whole game for.

Except players can also have dogs now. Dogs make everything good.

While Treyarch has steadily gotten better and braver with each new game, Ghosts sees Infinity Ward step into the role of pretender, of flagging inferior, one that doesn't seem to care much about improving its status, not when it could churn out any old guff at this point and come out on top of the sales charts.

To that end, Infinity Ward takes a page directly of Treyarch's book with Extinction, a wave-based cooperative mode that performs functionally similar to the ever popular Zombies mode. However, while Zombies always had a unique sense of humor and an amusing arcade quality, Extermination is a fairly bland slice of chaos, in which fairly uninteresting aliens are mowed through across blasted cities littered with quivering pustules.

As aliens are killed, one earns cash, which can be spent on new weapons, while skill points unlock temporary items that support the team. As with everything else in Ghosts, it performs its job adequately, and is not a terrible experience. It's just not very exciting either, and yet again plays catch up to things done far better in previous installments.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record at this point, everything I've said can be said about the visuals as well -- they're not the worst, they're far from the best, and yet again they feel highly lacking off the back of Black Ops II, which at least had cool futuristic designs to play around with. Ghosts' vision of a not-quite-post-apocalyptic America is bourgeois at best, an unremarkable representation that could have been eerie and unsettling, if it were presented with anything more than sociopathic carelessness. Audio is the same way -- uninspired music, and the usual shooting noises, alongside bored voice actors.

A few buggy elements rear their heads too, such the audio frequently cutting out during campaign loading screens, and guns failing to switch properly when they run out of ammo. I also had to restart a checkpoint due to an event not triggering as it should. Nothing game breaking, but at this point, one doesn't expect to see such silly little glitches in a game that's not done a whole lot to reinvent itself.

Call of Duty may have picked up a reputation as one of the laziest, most callously developed cash cows in the business, but I've always believed that reputation was undeserved. Call of Duty: Ghosts, however, with its slapdash campaign and unambitious multiplayer, contains enough factory-standard cynicism to earn itself plenty of scorn. Nothing Ghosts does is especially bad, but nothing Ghosts does is worth paying any attention to. It exists to exist, a stopgap bit of filler spat out as the industry transitions from one generation of consoles to another.
on March 16, 2017
The game has a very dynamic campaign, the story is up to whoever likes it on how it goes, the extinction mode is entertaining and surprisingly the game still have some players for multiple game modes online, more advanced in characters features like sliding, wall vault animation and also dynamic maps, The cons relies on multiplayer users due to the tedious camping by most players and the reason of a quick characters death and some confusing and bigger maps than the usual, pointstreaks aren't as spectacular as others of previous titles, but still good.
on July 29, 2015
What can I say that hasn't been said in the 1,800 reviews here already? I don't think anything really, I don't really know I'm wasting my time reviewing this other than the fact that I want to urge people to forget this game.

I ultimately bought this game because this summer I have been an incredibly broke student so I wanted something to keep me busy since I can't afford to go out and spend money. I have been playing a lot of my backlogged games and this was one I never got around to playing. I've played all of the CODs, World at War being my favorite, so I just wanted to give this a try just to say I've played all of them.

Well... it's a COD game alright. My brother's friend told me he enjoyed CD:G's story and I trust his opinion so I took a chance and unfortunately this game is pretty boring. The only good thing about this game is the perk system in multiplayer. Each perk has a point value associated with it (1, 2, or 3 points per perk) and you have like a minimum of points in your perk inventory. So you can do like 6 or 7 1pt perks that are mediocre or do 3 3pt perks that are strong and you can mix and match. The underwater level was kind of interesting, I don't think COD has done an entire level underwater before.

By the second or third level, I was just questioning why I was wasting my time with the game. I hate that there's something that keeps bringing me back to these games. I think it's because I want to just see if they've changed anything or improved. I loved early CODs and I want them to be good again, but until they completely reboot the series, it's not gonna happen. Everything just gets recycled. The animations are the same, the gameplay (breach and clear, shoot, plant explosives, etc), the guns, nothing is ever new. The script is pretty much a carbon copy from MW2 minus the Russian antagonist.

Even used for 8 bucks, this game isn't worth it. I feel sorry for those who played full price when it came out.
on November 18, 2015
Worst. Game. Ever. Hey, Activision? Why don't you try making some original maps & stop reusing old ones from previous games? It's just lazy. This was the last COD game I bought, and I regretted it immediately. Only reason I kept it is because I keep all of my games - even the ones that leave a bad aftertaste. This one is in my top ten worst games of all time. Congratulations.
on September 4, 2016
It's mediocre at best. It's unbalanced trash at worst. The color scheme is bland and the guns, maps, and so on are pretty unremarkable and unbalanced. It's surprisingly simple to be cheap in this game and nearly impossible to be prepared for every type of cheap or try hard player.

But it's the the most recent boots on the ground COD, has very interesting and creative DLC, and it's the last cod that had a proper port for previous Gen that wasn't sent to another studio to be butchered and cut for time. I joke about what it says about the game that some people sell it used for 35 cents, but real talk if you can't put down 10-15 bucks for bo2, this is probably the best cod to buy right now. Mw3 and the games before that are better, but have bad servers and are riddled with hackers.

Tldr. If you want boots on the ground cod but can't afford or already have bo2 buy this game.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.