Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Video Game|Change
Price:$0.50 - $500.00

Showing 1-10 of 2,495 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,159 reviews
on November 6, 2013
==UPDATE, January 23rd, 2014==
I added one additional star to the game (so from 2 to 3) because the game developers are very flexible with the multiplayer playlists. Many reviews were complaining about the low health, so they implemented (albeit maybe temporarily) a "Heavy Duty" playlist where players have more HP. I'm at around 3rd prestige as of now; I haven't really been playing this game too much to be honest.

One other thing that I like is Clan wars. It's very fun to participate if you have a group of guys you can handle playing with for extended amounts of time. Clan wars essentially pits your clan against seven other similarly skilled ones in a fight to control key locations on a virtual map. Holding positions gives you bonuses like extra XP and the ability to win character gear. You can check the status of your conquest on the revised Call of Duty AP. They're really trying to get more interaction with your friends here, so if you don't have any, go get some. The underlying problem with clan wars though is that the team that wins is not necessarily the better team, but rather the team that was willing to waste more time playing the game.
_________________________________________________________________________________
==ORIGINAL REVIEW==

I love Call of Duty; I've max-prestiged myself on every installment possible and usually obtain a Kill/Death Ratio of 2.5-4.0 (I know nobody cares but I'm just setting the scene for my subsequent critiques). I typically use assault rifles, I tend not to camp, I like objective game modes and I love being a team player. To be honest, I'm having buyer's remorse and I wish I did not purchase this game. I had a feeling Ghosts would be a dud the second they introduced all the gameplay surrounding the new Call of Duty dog.

Here are my thoughts:

PROS (Both campaign and multiplayer):
(1) The campaign looks stunning (indoor lighting effects, city skylines, etc). The multiplayer maps seem kind of drab. The overall aesthetics of the game remained similar to the past few ones that IW has produced.
(2) The character customization on multiplayer and the squad point system (unlock new weapons, attachments and custom classes) are both a step up. If you're not familiar with this copy of the pick-10 system then a simple google search can fill you in.
(3) Lots of perks to play around with.
(4) The removal of gimmicks: no more overpowered C4, less quick scoping, no more tac insertions (for boosters), no more noobtube/RPG fanatics, and lastly NO MORE DEATH STREAKS!!
(5) I think Search and Rescue is a good addition to the game and a slightly faster paced version of the original.
(6) Let's face it, Call of Duty is usually fun to play with friends and clan mates (especially when you're stomping on noobs).

MULTIPLAYER CONS:
(1) NO DEDICATED SERVERS. I had faith there would be dedicated servers for current gen consoles and there isn't; they lied to us guys. Ghosts promised us before launch that they would put up servers to manage hosting games so that players are no longer assigned "host", making everybody reliant upon his connection. Like all previous CODs (PvP connections) the host gets a slight advantage and when the host quits/dashboard then your game is pretty much over. There are plenty of youtube video reviews complaining about this, so go look at them if you want more info.

(2) The maps are bad and certain maps are incredibly too large for 6v6 gameplay (as a result, people complain about their thumbs hurting from constantly sprinting too much). This wouldn't be a problem if they included Ground War (9v9) but they didn't. You would think the enormous maps would discourage camping, but that's not the case either, you'll find yourself spending 30-60 seconds trying to find somebody and then dying to a camper only to restart the frustrating process. To top all of that, people already found ways to glitch themselves under certain multiplayer maps, they can kill you from underneath the map and not be able to be killed! Does that sound fun to you? My theory is that they made the original maps so bad that you'd have to purchase the extra DLC maps to salvage any gameplay.

(3) Spawns are HORRIBLE. HORRID. INCREDIBLY BAD. I think this is the biggest turnoff for me. I can be aiming down sights watching an area and I'm able to kill people spawning in right before my eyes; that's not fun. What makes matters worse is when you kill somebody and they seem to find you 5 seconds later because they spawned right behind your location (despite the maps being large enough for them to spawn elsewhere, I don't get that). Oh let's not forget that times I spawn in and die instantaneously (>2 seconds), two or THREE times in a row. This leads to my next problem:

(4) You die too fast. For any other Call of duty if somebody told me they died too quickly I'd brush off their statement and jokingly tell them to go play HALO or battlefield. I know COD has been notorious for quick deaths but this one just seems even quicker than all the previous installments. My friend who usually only plays hardcore told me he switched to core because "it's essentially the same thing". Overall, nobody wants to die instantly (if you do then you play hardcore), people want a chance to fight for their virtual life. The whole element of gun-play is lost. It's not fun to "turn" on people any more and when I actually get an opportunity to do so it was because their aim sucked or they had to reload. Those moments when you managed to escape death and possibly even win the game for your team was the adrenaline pumping gameplay that kept me hooked on COD.

(5) Assault killstreaks are a huge step backwards when compared to the last few games. THEY REMOVED SCORESTREAKS! Let me quote something I found which sums this up really nicely:
"If Infinity Ward wanted to include more incentive for teamwork in Ghosts then it should have built-upon the score-based nature of the Support tree rather than focusing on kills. This is just a personal niggle, but I do feel this is something of a wasted chance. Also, the Scorestreak format from Black Ops 2 was - personally - better than the old model hands-down. It encouraged more than just wanton killing and lone wolf play. It challenged you to claim objectives and support your squad instead of worrying about K/D ratios."

To add onto that, I would dub the assault kill streaks lame and very limited in scope compared to the array found within BO2 and all the other predecessors. Am I the only one that thinks a juggernaut with a knife and super speed is probably one of the stupidest things to be put into a game? They make you die instantly to add realism but then put a super ninja into the game, how backwards is that? Infinity ward could have de-emphasize the constant barrage from the air without leaving us boring killstreaks. What happened to the simple harrier? the airstrikes? the predator missiles (no the one in the game isn't the same, it veers off so much)?.. Ghosts messed with things that didn't need to be changed.

(6) The scoreboard doesn't tell you your ping so it's really annoying when the game lags and you're not sure what your connection currently is. Alternatively, people can't complain about "3-baring" so I guess there's an upside to this.
(7) There are no graded assists. If I put 99% damage into an enemy and a teammate takes my kill then I'm rewarded the equivalent of putting 1% damage. This is so simple to implement however Infinity Ward remains stubborn to this aspect of gameplay.
(8) The squad game mode as well as the knock-off on zombies (they are aliens, watch out) aren't really fun for me.

CAMPAIGN CONS:
1) The same old campaign with similar tasks to do as the predecessors: fly this helicopter, man this machine gun, use this sniper, defend this position.. it's boring. Not to mention the slow-mo breeching was overdone in MW3, but it's back in Ghosts, hoooray!

(2) You can't connect with the characters, they're not memorable, and the game tries WAYYY to hard to make the Ghosts look like badasses. They'll pop out of nowhere and slit a guy's throat and then act all macho when they interrogate people or boss you around. I do not envy the ghosts nor do I respect them as a legitimate special ops entourage.

(3) You still have to wait for scripted events or your friendly characters to manipulate objects to move on through the environment. I just don't feel like I'm in control of anything. You honestly spend the entire game following people.

(4) Enemies infinitely spawn during parts of the game which is always a bothers me (especially the fact that I notice it happening).
(5) The dog, I hate the dogs. I promise it's not because I'm not a cat person, but why did they add the dog to the game again? Oh wait, so that they could skimp on actual gameplay elements and distract us with how cute the dog is, that's right.

CONCLUSION:
I usually hold Infinity Ward to a higher standard but overall this game was ultimately a let down. If you save yourself $60 then (according to my opinion) you're not missing out on much, I promise. Go use that money to find something that will bring you true happiness. As for me, I'll constantly do follow up reviews if things get better/worse to update the community!
6868 comments| 815 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2016
This is coming from the perspective of someone who has not bought any of the previous COD games until this one. I know other reviewers who are experienced COD players have criticized the game for various reasons such as familiarity between concepts used in previous games. Whether they are right or wrong, I do not know, but I will say for the first time COD player, this game is a great experience! I played the single player campaign mode under the easiest setting since it was my first time. I can say for the most part that I really enjoyed the campaign experience. The story flows like an actual movie. at times it almost feels like you are actually in the game, and some of the levels are suspenseful and challenging, which is what I enjoy about it. I won't spoil the ending of the story but I do wish it had a different ending. I would've liked to have had a few more challenges added in there to make it feel more like an adventure. I enjoy the various environments that you travel through during the campaign. The audio is great, and the visuals are pretty good too. All around a good experience!
on November 6, 2013
The review I posted on the 6th was with only 1 day of experience (obviously) now that it has been out 1 week My opinion has changed. Again, I played purely domination as that is my favorite game mode and I really can't be asked to play any other modes.

The good:

- Bigger maps, makes domination flow better.

- Create a class system like BO2, just a little worse.

- Feels like there is more variation than BO2 had.

- MW3 feel.

- A bit different than the previous CoD games.

The down-right bad:

- Damage model, it's absolute garbage. You'll die before you even get to react.

- the weapons are unbalanced, it's like they didn't even try.

- Squad point system. I'd prefer a level based system, yes the quad point system makes it a more even playing field but not if you have over powered weapons and a bad damage model, so this is bad only because of the previous 2 issues.

- Spawn system, not a surprise since I experienced this in MW3 which was my 1st CoD game, they just don't take a hit.

- Match making system, again not a surprise...It's a great idea to put idiots with people who know what their doing, that's truly "balanced".

- The maps have quite similar themes compared to BO2 and MW3, not sure if intended or not...but going to say it's not for the moment.

The absolutely ugly:

- Mechanics, this may not be a problem for everyone as they may not understand this issue fully...but trust me when I say this is bad. It's not nearly as bad as BO2's mechanics but when I throw a grenade and someone walks right on it I expect it to at least hit, instead I could have teammates around me and have a grenade land behind me and I'd be the only one to die. Also, I just unlocked the MSBS (the best assault weapon in the game) and of course as always it works better for anyone else but me, 1-2 bursts for everyone else...and 2-5 bursts for me...if it hits.

- Physics...no one should be able to jump over a wall or obstacle and kill me while doing it. Let alone have the ability to move around and hit me with a sniper while my bullets don't exist at all. This was also always an issue for me.

The bad and the ugly are still the same from even MW3, this game has not improved AT ALL at this point. I shall await a patch and update. I would not recommend purchasing this game at this moment as it's MW3 with slightly updated maps. I give it a 2 star because it's refreshing and I know it has potential, that's it.
on May 14, 2015
I normally just review the games I play. This was bought for our son. I know it's a mature rated game and he's only 10, but he understands the differences in real-life and video games. That's also why I'm reviewing this a 4 star. I have tried it a few times with him and his friends and personally don't like the game at all. However, him and his friends play it online and they love the online multiplayer part. I've yet to evolve to multiplayer online games. He did play the one player part and said it was okay. So if you're like me and are under a rock when it comes to multiplayer games you can take my advice on this one. It's an average at best one player game and an above-average multiplayer game.

For what it's worth I do like the Black Ops versions of this game series.
on February 2, 2014
This review is from my son's feedback of the game. He plays the online version when he plays this game. He likes that you can have the dogs as personal team mate. He also likes some of the guns that are available in the game, along with some of the new maps. The graphics are better than the previous version. He does not like how they set up the online matches, so it's sometimes hard to level up . He would rate this game a 3 since it's just an okay game.
on March 19, 2017
Disk arrived lightly scratched (it skips occasionally in storyline) and dirty (fingerprints and smears). Shipped fast, decent price. Just not impressed with having to clean the disk to get it to work properly.
on March 16, 2016
Call of Duty: Ghosts is the 10th main game in the Call of Duty franchise. It is a first-person shooter game set some unspecified time in the future.

Single-Player:
The single player campaign consists of 18 missions. The campaign is a linear story with none of the sandbox/customization options in the previous year's release, Call of Duty: Black Ops II. Overall, the pace of the missions is slower than in other CoDs. Other games had several stealth missions mixed in with a much larger number of higher action ones. In Ghosts, most of the missions have significant periods of time spent sneaking into position and avoiding the enemy.

Multiplayer
Ghosts' release coincided with the release of next-generation consoles Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Infinity Ward skimped on some features for the Xbox 360 version that they had included in previous iterations, such as a theater/replay mode for multiplayer matches, and the ability to play in teams of 9 vs 9.
As in the single-player, stealth is a major factor in multiplayer. The maps are larger and more labyrinthine. In addition, the unlock progression and in-match mechanics favor playing defensively over running and gunning. For example, there is a new perk in this game that makes the location of a teammate's death invisible to fellow team members. Care packages are not an equipped killstreak reward; they are earned by picking up an icon left behind by a dead enemy and then completing your next kill in the way described by the instructions.

Pros:
Varied mission locations
Emphasis on stealth provides an alternative style of gameplay to Black Ops II

Cons:
Extremely outdated graphics
Ambient music muffles sound effects in the single-player campaign.
on July 23, 2016
Great game just like all of the Call of Duty games. I truly played this game to much and my wife was mad at me so had to sell it. She told me that I could get rid of the X-box or enjoy being single. When I told her that if I was single I could play anytime I want I realized quickly that it was not in my best interest to keep talking
on January 18, 2017
We bought the game and it didn't read the disc, so it was broken when we got it. We never recieved a refund or a new game either.
on December 9, 2013
I haven't bought a COD game since Black Ops 2. When I saw videos of this game, it looked pretty good but when I got it, straight away you'll notice that the maps are too big, I mean way too big. People camp so much that it's boring beyond belief. You ran up too slow and I hate the sound effects because you can't hear any foot steps, or the metal clanging when you change you reload. The footsteps sound like a sponge squishing and squeaking.

Worst COD I've ever played.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.