|Print List Price:||$10.99|
Save $8.00 (73%)
Called Upon Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 332 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
My expectations are always fairly low with self published books, so when one comes along that is very good, I am always delighted. I have to be honest, I've read some traditionally published books in this genre which are nowhere near as good as Called Upon. Well done, Jason.
1. The author kept the story moving quite smoothly from start to finish, with good page turning chapters. Very little lag.
2. The main character, BC, was quite believable and very likable, although the voice may have felt a tiny bit too mature for a 21-year-old.
3. Very good hook at the start (which had me quite suspicious about one key character for quite a few chapters).
4. Outstanding ending.
(very minor) Cons:
1. As mentioned, the voice of the main character didn't quite feel right for a 21-year-old. At my age, that didn't really bother me, but for someone younger it may not quite hit the spot for authenticity.
2. Nit-picking here, but Jason, that cover really needs some TLC. Your novel deserves SO much better.
Pro and Con:
1. The Christian input may turn some readers off, which would be a shame; however, as it turns out, the evangelistic aspect was very necessary to the plot, and the author did communicate the message more subtly than some authors manage to do. In Called Upon it felt less like the obligatory evangelistic message and altar call, and more like an integral part of the story.
1. Readers who like the thrills and pace of James Patterson, but dislike the excessive gory detail and language. Jason does an excellent job of building the thrill, but cutting the scene at exactly the right spot (well done!).
2. Readers who enjoy Brandilyn Collins.
In Summary, Called Upon was a surprise. In my line of work, I read a lot of material that doesn't come anywhere near close to this standard. If he keeps writing books like this, Jason Swiney should have a very good future ahead as an author.
There is no slow start to this intriguing story. You jump into it right away and begin a journey that is both terrifying and hopeful. An ordinary young man finds himself in the middle of an extraordinary, dangerous and unimaginable season in his life and the lives of others. This nightmare engulfs many innocents as well as the main character, BC. I was stumbling over my imagination wondering how this ensemble would come out on the other side _ or if they would at all. A must read.
I can hardly wait for his next book. Way to go Jason!
I got this book on Kindle so I could read it while flying on a business trip. To be honest, I would say this book is not bad for a young adult read, but it has the ability to keep an adult interested. Parts of it are a tad contrived, but we do see the character grow and wrestle with Christianity, but you can tell the author muted some things to make it a little more friendly to younger readers. This book does not have gruesome details of crime scenes and refrains from getting overly descriptive. I would pass this book along to a middle to early high school level reader without pause. But, for an adult, there needed to be more development of the characters and even a little more of the plot.
Alright Jason Swiney I just finished the amazing book you wrote... It totally needs to be a movie!!! It was so intense at times, I didn't want to stop reading I had to find out what happened next... The charters were just .... You my friend are a wonderful writer..... Can't wait to read the next one!!?? PS I have told everyone about your book and it is a must read. You have been blessed with a true talent , keep going, I think we all are ready for the next one!!!