Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 7, 2007
I've tried most all of the well known "diets" that have surfaced over the years. Finally, I decided to get serious and realize that I can't eat as much food as I'd like to for my metabolism. So, I decided to start counting calories, and exercising more. I've lost 6 pounds in just two weeks, and I already feel better.

I actually came to Amazon to find a pocket calorie counter, and, as per the reviews, this one looked the best. It is! I take it with me everywhere now. It has most all of the mainstream chain restaurants' menu items in it, and gives calorie, fat, and carb amounts. It's a huge eye-opener!

However, for me, the real gem in it was the mention of the calorieking.com website, where I visited and downloaded their 7 day free trial software. I started logging in everything I ate, and all the exercise I did for each day. It computes the calories for you, and according to the exercise you do that day, it subtracts those calories from your total. Oddly, it was the simple answer I'd been looking for, and it's so easy to use.

It was so effective during the trial that I just went back to their site this morning and purchased it. It was well worth every penny I paid. After using it for just a few days, I found myself saying over and over, "Now I KNOW why I'm overweight!" Once you KNOW, you can't "Un-KNOW", and that really changes what you're willing to eat.

The book is indispensable if you eat out, as it opens your eyes right there at the table as to what you're about to order. I recommend it highly.

If you're overweight, tired of lying to yourself about the amount of food you're REALLY eating, this is the book for you.

Bless you, Calorie King!!
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on November 10, 2002
I have not written very many reviews but I have bought quite a few Food Count references and this is BY FAR THE BEST.
Everything I need to find is in the book and easy to locate.
Many of these type of books do not include an index, this one does.
It also has ALL the counts I want, calories, fat and carb.s.
There is also much more information in this small easy to carry diet guide.
Includes great diabetic, fiber, osteoporosis, and protein & iron guides!
Along with an alcohol guide and counter.
I was able to find listings for Starbucks and TGI Fridays pre-mixed drinks that is not listed on the labels or readily provided by the companies.
I would recommend this to anyone and plan on giving them as stocking stuffers to friends and relatives who are trying to eat a more well balanced diet!
(BTW, I always wonder if people who leave such glowing reviews are somehow affiliated with the book somehow, I assure you I'm just someone out there who purchased and love it!)
33 helpful votes
34 helpful votes
on December 2, 2002
I have bought more than half a dozen calorie, fat & carbohydrate count books. This one is the best. Small in size, and will fit in pants pocket, jacket, or purse. Extensive listings of foods. Before I bought this book, I thought it mostly covered fast food chains. Not so. It also includes info on the ingredients basic to many home recipes. I've found the info I needed about table sugar, flour, oils, etc., which allows me to convert many of my old favorite recipes into low fat, low carbohydrate dishes. Also included are concise references to valuable diabetes, weight loss, exercise, and cholesterol information.
17 helpful votes
18 helpful votes
on July 4, 2016
Lots of helpful info especially with listing restaurants and fast food places and such. Got for my sister in law. She loves it.
on September 1, 2017
It's ok.
on April 12, 2008
The Calorie King "Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter" book is an outstanding nutrition reference for those who eat out a lot. It contains nutrition information for the main entrees and side dishes for over 200 fast food and chain restaurants. For restaurants that are not part of a chain, there is also a section that provides nutrition info for popular entrees for various cuisines. Local restaurants will differ in terms of portion size served and to some degree in the ingredients they use for a particular dish, but the generic section does at least give you a base to work off of.

Aside from the restaurant section -- which constitutes about a third of the book -- the bulk of the book contains nutrition info for every food imaginable to include info for many brand name pre-packaged foods. Also, the book has a small section at the beginning with general dieting and nutrition information which puts all the raw info presented in the rest of the book in the proper context.

About the only complaint I have is that the book didn't include protein data for the foods covered. (That said, one can easily make a reasonable estimate of protein grams in a given food by subtracting the fat calories and carb calories out of the total calorie info given.)

If you are someone who is trying to lose weight and actively tracks the calorie and nutrition information for the foods you eat, this book is an indispensable reference!
on February 11, 2008
I love this little book! In the beginning, there are excellent tips for mainting a healthy lifestyle, which I really liked. The book inlcudes many popular foods: from grocery stores to restaurants to local fast food places. And you'll never need to guess how many calories are in simple foods like oranges or bananas. The book is very small - less than an inch thick and about 4 inches tall, so you can carry it in a purse, backpack, or briefcase easily.

There is also a companion book, which I purchased - a food and excerise journal that is super tiny and allows you to record 10 weeks of food and exercise. The Calorie King website is also helpful, including a sidebar that tells you how much exercise you'd have to do to work off the food you searched for - quite an eye-opener!

The only negative thing about this book is that due to it's small size, the print is very tiny, so if you have poor eyesight, like myself, it can be a really pain, squinting to read everything.

I am totally satisfed with my purchase and I have used it continually since I bought it. Not only is it useful when couting calories, but by using the Calorie King methods, I am more aware of the consequences of my eating actions. I lots 3lbs in a week by using this book. I highly recommend it.
on January 9, 2006
This is a well organized, compact, complete list of foods and their calories, fat and carb totals. This book is easy to maneuver and has all sorts of interesting facts laid out throughout the book, like..."weigh packaged foods for actual weight. It can be up to 50% more than the label net weight (min. legal weight). Allow extra calories." It also has very small comic drawings at the bottom corner of a few of the pages that will encourage you. In the back of the book, there's additional information on sodium, fiber, protein, iron, and calcium counts, if that's important to you. There's a very interesting bar chart on different fats and oils and their percentage content, saturated fat, mono. fats, omega 3 and 6, and water. The color guide helps the information you're looking for easier to find at a glance. The restaurant guide is in the back, it lists lots of food values. I was surprised though they didn't list more items on the menu at Quizno's and Schlotsky's Deli, places you'd eat if you were watching your calories...what's up with that? That'd be more useful information to me than what's on the KFC menu or Burger King. Despite that, it's a great book if you're only going to have one book. Buy it.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on November 9, 2011
I love this book . The only issue I have is the fats are not itemized IE. Sat , Mono etc . If you have ever been on a diet you will know the most important things are sat fats and carbs. Keeping your sats below 11 and your carbs at 120 per day is almost a gaurantee of weight loss..
The book over all I am calling my new in home and on the road food bible is small enough to carry in your purse and for guys to carry in their pocket . Its large enough not to be misplaced on an end table and has more info than you can shake a stick at ..Every fast food rest you can imagine is listed . Everyday foods are listed as well in the index . Its easy to locate any food by its type and easy to read .
My item arrived ahead of time expected and in mint cond.
I would highly recommend using this vendor
on April 26, 2000
I love this book. I just recently decided to switch diets because the last one I was on was too difficult with my schedule, and I decided to try to create one for myself. So I purchased this book, and so far so good! I'm able to choose foods that I eat anyway, and I've been making up detailed food plans for every day. It's great!
I've found nearly everything in there that I could want, and I love the restaurant guide. Recommended to anyone who wants to lose weight on their own terms.
25 helpful votes