Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on April 1, 2017
This would be a $400 knife set if the quality was perfect (and they took the "China" off the blade). The Damascus Steal blade look nice, it resembles some of the uber high end (Shun) knives. Long review short for the skimmers... I am keeping them and considering buy another set as a wedding gift for my cousin.

Let's start with VG-1 steel. knife gurus debated on what is the best steel and temper for a blade, there is a give and take for every steel. VG-1 is in the debate and that's good enough for me. Unfortunately not much is said about the temper of this blade and VG-1 is said to have a small crystal structure and could really benefit from a cryogenic quench.

The construction quality was disappointing, it make you wonder if these are QC rejects because of the price and quality. There is a gap between the steel and the plastic where the plastic tapers at the blade, I filled the gap with thin CA glue because I thought the plastic was likely to break. The taper of the plastic handle is inconsistent and not simertical on every of the knifes. The serrated bread knife has an an inconsistent serration and looks bad with the laminated steel. I can still see some of the coarse grind marks on one of the blades where they shaped it, this should have been polished off. The scissors DO NOT come apart for easy cleaning, and the plastic injection mold handles (covered in TPU?) only look good from 10 feet away, but they feel nice in the hand.

Over all it's a descent knife set where price, quality, and appearance suits me.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 31, 2017
I just received replacements for my order, and I'm now fully satisfied! All the previous issues I had where the knives' blades were crooked and bent may have been just an isolated incident. Amazon handled the replacement quickly, and I received my new Katanas in 2 days. The knives came undamaged and look so sexy. Weight is balanced, and comparable to our old Cutcos (which cost twice as much). Quality feels great. I won't be surprised if they last a lifetime.
on January 6, 2015
My husband received this as a gift (although I do more cooking than he does - ha). These knives are very good quality. At first, when I saw that they were assembled in China, it gave me pause, but the steel is supposed to be Japanese so I think the quality is still up to par. As for the comments about how they rust - a couple of these have gotten little spots on the edges that looks reddish like rust, but I've been able to scrub them off and they go away, so I've not been too concerned about it. I love the handling of the knives and they cut so well. Pretty satisfied so far, and we've had them since May 2014. The scissors are pretty awesome too, although I wish they would disassemble so that I could clean them better.
on April 20, 2018
I love those knives! And yes you do have to hand wash them but I don’t mind at all! Very happy with my purchase!!!
on May 6, 2014
RUST MAGNETS!!!!

Sharp, hold an edge well, and good looking. I hand wash them. It's not really a pain to wash a few knives. They are very comfortable to cut with as well. I'm glad I bought them.
on May 2, 2012
I spent about a month looking around at various shops for a great set of knives. This is what I ended up ordering, They are razor sharp! The material is made of thirty-three layers of stainless steel, has an outstanding ability to retain an edge and proven strength with VG-1.

Nothing feels better in your hand than these handles, they are not made for small hand though but for me they feel great. The material used to make the knife handle is much more important than you might think. Wooden handles have a tendency to rot or corrode. A corroded handle will make the blade fit loosely, which can be dangerous. These feel and great they are less likely to break than many other handles and are not overly heavy.

The way that a knife handle is designed is important. The part of the blade that goes into the handle (called the tang) should go all the way through on both sides. Many knife tangs only go part of the way through the knife's handle or on one side. This may cause the blade to come loose, but this has a full tang. They are well balanced and you need that to make sure you don't cut your self
Cutting with these tools is great since slicing is so easy.. I have tried with other knives, but never got as good of results as with this set. These are worth every penny, but do take care of them! They do need hand washing.
on September 27, 2015
I love these knives. Can't go wrong. Beautiful. Well balanced. Sharp. Use them daily. Replaced the included steel with the Calphalon Contemporary 10in steel since I didn't want the diamond steel scratching up my knives. It fits in the slot and matches perfectly. A great investment.
on October 10, 2015
This was worth every penny. Knives are really sharp! I barely touched my finger once and cut my finger good (my fault). Very easy to was and maintain. These will last me a lifetime
on October 24, 2016
Love this set! It was my Birthday present and I am very happy with it. Wish the steel on the steak knifes was the same as the rest of the set though.
on April 18, 2016
Love this set. I bought it for my parents 3 years ago and finally broke down and bought the exact same thing for myself.