Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Calypso Basics 1.5 Quart powder coated Colander, Azure
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Color: Azure|Change

on February 5, 2010
Ah, I was seduced by the color! Unfortunately, after just a couple of months, the enamel coating began to chip off--first along the bottom, then along the top edges. Which of course lets water in to rust the base metal.

The round holes in the colander are slightly too big, so spaghetti can slide right out.

Also, the 1.5-quart size is just a tad too small for, say, a bunch of greens or a pound of pasta.

Good thing I didn't throw out or old workhorse, not-a-pretty-color colander!
on May 10, 2014
The only drawback is that more water pools in the bottom than you'd like and I seem to have to tip it on it's side and hold the contents in and drain some excess water over the edge. It would be nice if the bottom set of holes had 2-3 more rings of holes stamped out. I still like this better than a wire mesh colander or a plastic colander.
on March 8, 2013
Some of the reviews for this and other sizes complain about rust. It says clearly on the label not to put it in the dishwasher. It looks and feels solidly made to me. I've been using it for a few weeks now with no complaints.

The blue is definitely an azure blue, a bit toward the turquoise side. It won't exactly match kitchen products that are more toward primary blue, say Racheal Ray's line, but it doesn't clash with them either.

I don't understand the concerns about the size of the holes; this is a colander, not a sieve. I wouldn't put rice in it, but I've had no problem with spaghetti.

It is a perfect size if you are cooking for one or two people and easily holds about 1/2 lb of cooked pasta. If you need more than that, get the 3 qt size.
on March 17, 2016
Love the turquoise colander. Well made and sturdy and looks great in my kitchen. I have not actually used it with water, just using it to hold fruit or vegetables that I don't refrigerate but it is holding up well for that purpose.
on September 10, 2015
I bought this colander in lime green and I bought the 3 qt. green/white speckled colander also by Calypso Basics. I couldn't be happier with them. They are both made of top-notch quality materials and the finish is lovely....shiny and deep. I hung this one on a kitchen rack where we keep our cast iron pans and it provides a wonderful spot of color. These are wonderful colanders. Don't hesitate to purchase!
on March 14, 2016
Very nice as a decorative piece, color matches our kitchen.Probably wouldn't hold up for regular use. Your better off with stainless for a durable everyday colander. This one is "cute" for us and matches.
on August 9, 2014
Unfortunately I didn't read the other reviews before buying, so I didn't realize how SMALL this colander was. You can't really use it for pasta unless you're cooking in a sauce pan (not a pot). The outside is also a fainter shade of blue than the inside -- not sure if that's a defect or on purpose. But, I actually think it's cute overall, so I'm thinking of using it just for washing fruit and buying a bigger matching one.
on August 13, 2016
I purchased several of these colanders in November for myself and for friends because I thought they were a perfect size shape and color. Unfortunately, the enamel is starting to RUST so badly after less than one year of normal use, it makes it a throw away item! At $18 each, they were not cheap! Color me extremely disappointed in this product and this company.
on April 25, 2015
I have had it since July 2014, not even a year and the enamel is coming off. I don't even use this everyday. I also bought a smaller one which is having the same problem. A bit disappointing. No more enamel for me.
on November 18, 2013
Gave this as a shower gift, it's heavy and extremely high quality. Pay attention to how small 1.5 quarts really is for a colander when buying. I put a personalized apron, dish towels and some utensils in and put the whole thing in a cellophane bag, that I tied shut with a ribbon. Rave reviews and lots of great comments at the shower.