Bubble Witch Saga 3 Vehicles Review Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on November 5, 2011
Had a some problems with the phono pre-amp section of my Yamaha C-80 pre-amp, and this Cambridge 540P solve that issue perfectly going into the AUX input. As I use Grado MI cartridges on my The AR Turntable, I had no reason to go for the 640P that has the MC function. That said, believe Amazon and Cambridge should clearly list the specs of this MM phono stage -- with the MM standard 47k ohm input impedance and 220pF capacitance. Still have no idea what the Gain is but this 540P sounds great for the past month. ptb
on March 20, 2011
GREAT price for a highend quality pre. I have had a Thorens turntable for 15 years, Grace tonearm and a dynavector ruby cartridge. Bought a new receiver, but of course it had no input for a turntable. I have hundreds of records and NOW I can enjoy them. Thanks!!
on May 11, 2010
If you're looking at this product you obviously have a need for it.

Like me, you probably have a sizable LP collection, a nice turntable and cartridge and some audio gear as old as some of the albums ...if not older. Do yourself a favor and get this preamp. If you've been listening to your collection through your 30-40 year old preamp ...and I don't care how state of the art it was back in 1972, like the rest of us, she ain't what she used to be ...hooking your turntable into this little gem *will* bring new life to your records. If you're planning on digitally transferring your LPs then this is an excellent preamp for that purpose.

I was amazed.

My once highly regarded Hafler preamp's phono section has gotten dull over the years ..lost that sparkle, sizzle and pizazz ...it's what happens as the components (capacitors, resistors, et.al.)age and there's not much you can do about it. Except get a new phono preamp ...this one. The Cambridge Audio 540p is well-made and simple in it's design and packs quite a heft for such a small package. There are no controls on it and unless you connect its "wall-wart" power supply to a switched outlet the unit remains on all the time ...a single, tiny blue LED in the center of the face plate your only indication of its power status. The 540p is for moving magnet cartridges only (which is what the great majority of phono cartridges are). If you do have a moving coil cartridge then you'll need the 540p's bigger brother, the 640p, which handles both MM and MC cartridges.

Best bang for the buck.

My vinyl came back to life with shimmering highs, renewed presence and exceptional imaging. It's incredible how good vinyl can sound when you upgrade your equipment. I got my preamp from Spearit Audio through Amazon: best 99 bucks I've spent on audio gear in a long time ...with free shipping to boot. Is it the best preamp out there? No, but you'd have to spend gobs more money to get any major improvements over what the 540p brings to the table. The only thing that would have made the deal even better was to read "Made in the USA" ...or even Japan ...on the little sticker on the back instead of that Communist third-world country.

This little preamp has been highly regarded in reviews from both the print media and consumers ....and don't take my word, check it out yourself online. Add me to the list of satisfied customers. If you're looking for a great replacement phono preamp for your system or for use in digital transfers that sounds beautiful and won't break the piggy bank, then this is the one to get.
on March 18, 2012
Excellent product that sounds amazing. My old turntable is brand new again. And I would recommend this product very highly to a friend.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 25, 2011
I bought this preamp to use it with my REGA RP1 turntable. Easy of install, suitable only for MM Cartridges. Sound quality is great.
I don't have an audiophile gear but in my pair of TSI300 Polk Speakers i can say i've never heard a better sound before.
on February 15, 2011
Arrived quickly, easy to set up and works flawlessly. Although a low end product, it does a fine job of passing the turntable signal to the amp. The sound is clear and rich.

I certainly recommend this to anyone dipping their toes into vinyl.
on January 23, 2010
Great pice.

Discreet channels.

Needs to burn in for best sonics. Use a burn in disc if you have one.
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.