Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Camelot: Broadway Version
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on April 17, 2007
In 1982, this television production of Lerner and Loewe's musical was considered by many critics to be the finest stage-to-TV transfer of a live Broadway performance. Now, 25 years later, it still is. The folks at HBO joined with the producers of the Broadway revival and videotaped the show with loving care, and their love is evident in every frame. The visual presentation and sound quality were light years ahead of most other such offerings, and it was shot and edited to perfection.

I saw this revival onstage, then on HBO, and it is something to see. Richard Harris and Meg Bussert were just right together, and the supporting cast was excellent as well. The sets, costumes, and lighting added to the beauty of the evening. And nothing can top the sheer emotion of the story--it is one of the most powerful musicals ever written. If you've never seen CAMELOT, or if you're only familiar with the 1967 film version (also starring Harris), don't miss this stunning production. Thanks, Acorn Media, for releasing it on DVD at last!
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2007
Back in the early 80s, I recorded this HBO production of Camelot on my VCR. I still have the tape and would watch it if I had a functioning VCR. I am a musical theater junkie and this production of Camelot with Richard Harris by HBO in 1982 is so wonderful. HBO is finally releasing this production of Camelot, filmed on stage at the Winter Garden Theater in New York, on DVD. I have pre-ordered it and cannot wait to see it on DVD, as my VHS tape is getting a bit worn. Bravo HBO!!!!
on June 3, 2007
This was the very first VHS I ever owned. When HBO broadcast it back in '82, I was a senior in high school and only the very wealthy owned VCRs. A friend of my mother's had one, and recorded it for me. I've kept that old tape and cherished it ever since - but have hoped someday someone would release it on DVD. Now here it is.

This is probably the best production of Camelot I've ever seen, from then to now, with a crack cast, superior production, tremendous arrangements (do yourself a favor, and choose this version over the far inferior movie!). Harris was always a fine, fine Arthur, and here on stage he shines. Richard Muenz's Lancelot is probably the best ever, and Meg Bussert's Guenevere is lighthearted and airy with a stunning voice.

I'm so glad this is finally on DVD. Now I can finally see the colors again the way they where back then.
on March 25, 2007
Like S. Williamson, I recorded this production from HBO onto video tape 25 years ago and the tape is starting to wear from repeated viewings. I am so happy HBO had decided to release it onto something that I can finally watch over and over. I highly recommend for anyone who enjoys this story.
on August 22, 2007
Beautiful close-ups which allow you to appreciate the fine performances of the whole cast. Richard Harris is remarkable.Lighting is warm as on the stage.However the grainy picture throughout diminishes the pleasure of watching, and the result is that you can love it only if you are a Broadway fan. Also complain the lack of subtitles. Might it have been edited better? After all it's one of the most important musicals and it deserved better care.
on September 24, 2007
I have always loved the story of Camelot, and the movie. I was most fortunate to see the live play starring Richard Harris about 20+ years ago. To see the energy and emotion he used, just was beautiful. It is captured in this DVD, and I highly urge anyone that loves the story to watch it. And please, watch it with your children, or grandchildren.
on October 4, 2007
When this premiered on HBO 25 years ago, it was one of the best things on TV. A classic Broadway show given a sumptuous stage-to-TV production. All the leads are superb, especially Richard Muenz and Meg Bussert. I am so happy now to own a copy of this. The production itself certainly deserves 5 or more stars. The DVD release could have been done better, however. I wish the picture quality were a little sharper. It seems there should be a better master tape of this. My other issue with the DVD is it is missing some material. During the HBO production, there were full recordings of the Overture and Entr'acte played. This was music only played against a stagnant backdrop. Yes, it is not much to look at, but the music was glorious and it is now missing. When A&E repeated the program, they kept this music but spoke over it, relegating the music to the background. A true solid DVD release of this would include both these pieces of music with no dialogue. If this were to be released again with this missing material, I would gladly buy it again! Are you listening, Acorn?
on June 4, 2007
I've been waiting 25 years for this production of Camelot to be available for home purchase. Finally, I can relive Richard Harris's wonderful expressions and emotions with my eyes open. I had found the audio recording of the 1982 London production and for years would listen with headsets and imagine them on stage. I had seen the production at Wolf Trap, under the stars, Richard Harris's blue eyes flashing as he sang the wonders of Camelot. I've watched the DVD twice since I got it and it is as wonderful as I remembered it to be.
on April 23, 2007
This is one of the finest production of Camelot that I've ever seen, and it far surpasses the movie version in musical quality. It's Camelot as it should be seen - on stage.

I've been waiting 25 years for this production to be released, and was so pleased and excited to see it finally available. I taped it from HBO and wore out the tape long ago. Thank you HBO and Acorn Media for releasing one of my favorites!
on October 7, 2007
I feel badly giving this only 3 stars but I couldn't muster up four. That said, it is better than the movie version, but has some major drawbacks.
1)The transfer is grainy. It's watchable, but again, I am surprised they didn't do a better job.
2)Whoever staged this was totally lacking in creativity. It was pretty blah.
3)Guinevere is not as bad as Vanessa Redgrave - but she's certainly no Julie Andrews. Yes, that is an unfair comparison. But it must be said. Her voice is quite lovely. Alas, she has so little emotion, it's like watching a block of wood.
4)They cut some of the best music. What is this about? "Then you may take me to the fair" and "Fie on virtue" are missing entirely, and "Lusty month of May", "What do the simple folk do?" are abridged. It's sad.
5)Does Mordred understand the words beat and tempo? Enough said.
6)Lancelot seems to make his songs go on and on... is it over yet?
On the bright side - Richard Harris - while undoubtedly too old for the role does a splendid job. He is truly an old school actor. Unfortunately he had no one of his caliber to play off of. The costuming was very nice, as well. All in all, it really wasn't so bad. It just didn't meet my expectations. If you have to own a Camelot DVD this one is better than the movie. Maybe someday they'll remake the movie version and do it right.