Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 20 reviews
on October 5, 2012
I first saw this intimate and informative documentary on TCM, and was so impressed that I immediately went online, found it on Amazon, and ordered a copy. Jack Cardiff's body of work is impressive, but it's his self deprecating personality, seemingly uneffected by his successful porfolio, that caught my eye. In the infancy of color cinimetography, the Technicolor people were looking for cimematographers in England to train to use their unique three strand system. Grilled by the Technicolor staff with highly technical questions, Cardiff simply said, "Well, I'm not really a very technical person. I just look at beautiful paintings and copy the lighting." They selected him, to his surprise, and the rest is history. Cardiff's early camera work for brilliant British director Michael Powell yielded: A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway To Heaven), Black Narcissus, and The Red Shoes. Cardiff's delightful interview is evenly spaced throughout the film, along with Marty Scorsese, Lauren Becall, Kim Hunter, Thelma Schoonmaker, Alan Parker and many others. Scorsese's revelation that he styled the fight scenes in Raging Bull after The Red Shoes' ballet sequences is worth the price of this DVD alone. So is the behind-the-scenes look at the making of Black Narcissus. Cardiff's prolific crareer spanned seventy years. CAMERAMAN, is a delightful and informative look at the life and career of one of cinematography's giants.
on July 7, 2013
Jack Cardiff (1914–2009) I accidentally ran across this film on TCM while channel surfing and caught about half of it and knew I had to have it. If you are a film buff you will absolutely want a copy of this on DVD. If you are not familiar with his work, do a search on IMDB for Jack Cardiff and you will see how much this "cameraman" contributed to real film over the years. The extras on the DVD are great too. This film will make you check the credits of every great film you watch to see if he was behind the camera. Thanks Jack, for giving us so much.
on September 22, 2013
Cardiff was the master cinematographer. This movie is a great jumping off point to watch all of his movies and understand the difficulties and solutions during the filming of the first technicolor movies. Combine this with the Story of Film, an Odyssey and you have an excellent course in filmography.
on December 12, 2016
Had seen this on cable. An eloquent testament to one of the cinema's premier cinematographers.
on April 14, 2014
We get some insight into natural genius that's honed through his own enthusiasm about life and others. We also get to see behind the scenes and dialogs of movies we've known and loved. I wish I'd known him.
on December 11, 2013
If someone needs an explanation of why the reflections of this great man who first was the "Head Camera Man" (I'm getting too old to remember even simple terms used in the film titles) and later as a Director, they would not have the knowledge to understand the importance of the "Cinematographer".
on February 11, 2013
Such a talented man. It was wonderfully put together and Jack's stories were entertaining. He had seen so much in his day...impressive.
on June 26, 2013
I found this very interesting and inspiring. Makes me want to go back and watch all his films. He was a true artist.
on February 12, 2014
I didn't see it till now, but I had expected it to have subtitles, so vieuwing it will be a little more difficult for me. So the three stars are for Jack Cardiff himself who I greatly admire.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse