- Receive a free 8x11 Shutterfly Photo Book promo code via email with select digital camera, lens, sports & action camera, network attached storage, external hard drive, or memory card purchase. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens for Canon ..." and save 25% off the $899.00 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
|Price:||$849.00 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||$50.00 (6%)|
Overall score: 92%
See review summary and sample images
What is DPReview and its awards?
Digital Photography Review is the most popular dedicated enthusiast digital photography site on the Internet. Our authoritative reviews have earned us the trust of photographers and camera buyers all over the world, for more than 15 years.
Gold and Silver Awards are given to products that deserve special recognition based on how well they perform relative to their competitors at the time of review.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 100mm focal length,160mm equivalent focal length on Canon APS-C cameras
- F2.8 maximum aperture; F32 minimum, Closest Focusing Distance- 0.99 ft./0.3m (maximum close-up magnification: 1x)
- Ring-type ultrasonic-type AF motor with full-time manual focusing
- Image stabilization, 4 stop Hybrid IS, 67mm filters
- Purchase this product between May 1, 2016 and July 30, 2016 and get 13 months of free damage protection from Canon. The product must be registered within 30 days of the purchase date to be eligible. Visit http://usa.canon.com/protection to learn more.
- Lens Construction: 15 elements in 12 groups.
- Canon's first mid-telephoto macro "L" series lens to include Canon's sophisticated Image Stabilization
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
|Aperture Control Design||Aperture controlled by camera|
|Compatible Lens Hood Part Number||ET-73|
|Compatible Mountings||Canon EF|
|Focus Type||Ring-type ultrasonic|
|Image Stabilization||4 stop Hybrid IS|
|Item Dimensions||3.07 x 3.07 x 4.84 inches|
|Item Display Weight||22 ounces|
|Item Weight||1.38 pounds|
|Lens Type||Prime lens|
|Macro Focus Range||0.30 m|
|Manufacturer Warranty Description||Limited 1 year|
|Material Type||Plastic barrel, Metal mount|
|Maximum Aperture Range||F2.8|
|Maximum Focal Length||100|
|Maximum Format Size||35mm full frame|
|Minimum Focal Length||100|
|Number of Diaphragm Blades||9|
|Number of Elements||15|
|Number of Groups||12|
|Photo Filter Thread Size||67 mm|
|Real Angle Of View||19.8 Degrees|
|Shipping Weight||2 pounds|
|Style Name||Lens Only|
Compare to Similar Items
This item: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens B00X8MRBCW
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Compatible Mountings||Canon EF||Canon EF||Canon EF||Canon EF-S|
|Dimensions||3.07 inches x 4.84 inches x 3.07 inches||2.72 inches x 1.54 inches x 2.72 inches||2.13 inches x 2.99 inches x 2.13 inches||2.87 inches x 2.76 inches x 2.87 inches|
|Item Weight||1.38 pounds||0.35 pounds||1.32 pounds||0.74 pounds|
|Lens||Prime lens||Prime lens||Prime lens||Prime lens|
|Maximum Aperture||32||5.6 f||2.8||2.8|
|Max Focal Length||100||50 mm||100 mm||60 mm|
|Min Focal Length||100||50 mm||100 mm||60 mm|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
Review summary from DPReview
There little doubt that, all round, this is one of the very finest lenses we've seen - optically it's superb, and operationally it works very well too, with fast and positive autofocus, and one of the most effective image stabilization systems currently available. Throw in the high build quality, including dust- and splash-proofing, and it all adds up to a very desirable package indeed.
Scoring is relative only to the other products in the same category.
Sample images from DPReview
Sample images for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Top Customer Reviews
This is the first is macro lens for Canon and they got it right. I have used the 60mm, 100mm, & 180mm macro before and by far this is the best!
Now, if you already own a 100mm macro you should try it before upgrading because the IQ of the lens are identical. I usually use this lens for portraits (yes, I know the 85mm & 135mm is a better portrait lens.) of my daughter and the IS is awesome. Hand holding 1/40 I can still get a sharp picture.
The thing that I really hated about the non-IS 100mm macro was the distribution of weight - it was the most awkward thing to shoot with. This lens feels lighter because of the even distribution of weight and size (gradual taper) and it includes a deep hood.
I know $1K is a hefty sum of cash, but considering what you get and how long it can last you - I don't know why you would settle for the non-IS.
--- Edit ---
I found that for portrait, the bokeh on this thing is incredibly smooth. Instead of the angular blurs (lights, flowers, etc), you get a smooth circular blurs due to its spherical diaphragm. But I guess that's in the eye of the beholder...
1. The image stabilization is of the latest generation and compensates for nearly 4-stops in which angular movement or pitch is compensated for. The effect of this is that it is incredibly sharp for portraits wide open at f/2.8 in comparison to the standard macro 100mm f/2.8 or a heavier lens like the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. The files coming from a 5DMkII are absolutely amazing in sharpness.
2. Contrast and bokeh are excelleny and pleasing to the eye. The background blur is superior to the 100 f/2.8 non image stabilized macro.
3. Relatively light weight at 625g makes it easy to carry and balance. It beats carrying the 70-200 when you don't need it. It is also lighter than the Nikon 105mm f/2.8VR and has a better MTF performance.
4. The AF is somewhat faster than the standard 100mm macro and very quiet.
5. The build quality is worthy of an "L" lens. Although its made of engineering plastic, Canon made the right decision to keep its weight low.
The only drawback I can see with this lens is price. If you wait around, sometimes Amazon has had it for $1000, but I think its more appropriately priced at $850-$900. At the end of the day, this is fun lens which is hard to put down. If you can get this lens for $1000, then just do it, and you won't regret it for a second. As I said before, the files coming from this lens are absolutely beautiful and makes me look like a better photographer than I actually am.
I evaluated the EF 100mm Macro and this lens side-by-side. The older 100mm Macro has a great reputation. From the specifications, you'll see that the new lens is slightly longer, and weighs more. The build quality is excellent and consistent with an L lens. Optics are precise. Color and Bokeh are outstanding, as review samples attest.
Auto focus and manual focus are smooth and deliberate. As with other Macros, the focus is precise, but moves slower than a standard telephoto lens of the same focal length. It takes approximately 2.5 seconds to focus from infinity to .3m. It takes approximately 3.0 seconds to focus from .3m to infinity, as the mechanism delays .5 seconds when autofocus is initiated.
The focusing limiter selector switch functions well, eliminating the time to focus, if you know your subject will be between .3m to .5m, or .5m to infinity. The ranges offer a good compromise between focusing element travel and practical subject distances. .3m to .5m represents a 180 degree turn of the focusing ring, and .5m to infinity represents about a 150 degree turn of the focusing ring.
I purchased this lens over the older 100mm Macro for the image stabilization. The image stabilization allows the hand held use of the lens under brighter lighting conditions. The image stabilization certainly behaves differently from other L lenses at 100mm.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This was a great purchase! I was thrilled when it arrived before the expected date.Published 7 days ago by Amazon Customer
Very nice lens. Excellent quality. You will generally stand 4 feet or so from what you are taking pictures of as there is no zoom.Published 19 days ago by רפאל
How can i say with this Canon 100 EF IS USM L
Before writing about this lense, i wanna share that right before i'm purchased this len (In the Shop at Ho Chi Minh city, Viet... Read more
This is by far my favorite lens. It's excellent for walk around. At 100mm you do find yourself having to step back quite often. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Jason Bauer
Alright, Ive owned this for about a year now, so its time to write a review. Ill break it down into build, AF, sharpness, and usability. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Josh