Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Style: Body Only|Configuration: Base|Change

Showing 1-10 of 737 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 866 reviews
on January 23, 2017
The bottom line is this is a fantastic vlogging camera, which is the specific reason I bought it. If you're not interested in 4k, if you're a 1 man band, or just someone that wants to shoot a lot of great material and get it out to the world fast, this might be the camera for you.

Already being the owner of a Canon 5D mark iii and mark iv, I am very familiar with the Canon brand. I do both still photography and videography, equally.

I endeavored to help my wife start up a lifestyle vlog, and did a lot of research on cameras before picking this one. It made a lot of sense to me because I already own a lot of high-end Canon glass. However, owning full frame cameras, I don't have too many super wide angle lenses, that are better for this APC-S sized sensor. Please see below for a detailed analysis.

VIDEOGRAPHY:

Pros:
-I love the articulating touch screen. To me, this is the main reason this camera beats the pants off of my 5D's for shooting video. You can place this camera high or low, left or right, face it at you or behind you, and turn the screen to see it. You can tap on the screen to focus or adjust properties easily.

-Facial auto focus works really great! I know there is an upgraded camera (80D) that makes this better. But honestly, if you are looking to save some money, just get this camera. You're gonna be happy with the autofocus. It's fine.

-Compared to my bigger cameras, this guy is really light weight

-The menus are easy to navigate

-the footage looks amazing

-Shoots 24p

-Sound is straightforward. You need an off camera mic, and you preferably want a powered mic so you can use the mic gain and not the camera's gain to get less hiss.

-Can use any EF or EF-S lens.So you you are a canon shooter, you've got a head start

-Takes pretty nice photos too! Since I didn't buy this for photos, admittedly I haven't delved in. I would, truthfully, use my 5D Mark IV for a photo shoot. But for me, when I am out there shooting video, if I want to snap a few stills, this guy works great.

Cons:
-Not 4k (this is not a con for me, but if you want 4k, look elsewhere)

-Not a high quality/high bit-depth format. (Again, this is not a huge deal for me. I'm about story and speed over noodling with quality. I also own a BMPCC, and yes, shooting raw 10 or 12 bit is amazing... but you have to CC everything, do online/offline workflows, etc. so this is really more of a preference than a con. You have to know what you want to do. I think this camera wins for vlogging

-Not as great with low light as other cameras. This camera caps off at ISO 6400. But realistically you wanna be at 800, 1600 max if you are good with seeing some noise. On my Mark IV I can shoot at 6400 and see no visible noise. But I mean, the Mark IV is like thousands of dollars more, so it's not a great comparison.

-Its not full frame. Not a huge problem, neither was the Alexa I've shot TV shows on for years. But, if you want full frame, this ain't it. So you need wider aperture lenses or to shoot really long lens if you want to get shallow depth of field.

LENSES:
On lenses, I did pick it up with the 18-55mm kit lens, then also bought the little 2.8 24mm pancake lens. They're both great lenses, actually... for the cost. The 18-55 has stabilization, so is better for hand held stuff, but needs more light. The 24mm makes the camera super light to carry, and also looks nice at 2.8. Both of these lenses autofocus great with the camera.

So I disagree with some reviews out there that say don't get the kit lens. These days canon makes them pretty good and they are cheap in comparison to other lenses. So unless you have all the glass you need - get the kit lens. I usually get the short zoom kit lens because they are sharper and faster.

Having used this camera for a few weeks, I really want to get something wider like the canon 10-22 or the sigma equivalent. I think there are times when being at a 10 to 14mm, especially out doors, would be helpful. I have not used either of these two lenses, my widest lens that is not a fisheye is the canon 15mm zoom.

CONCLUSION:
This camera may be on the older side right now, but I have to tell you I like it better for videography than my Mark IV. it's just so much faster and easier to use, and doesn't make you're wrist feel like it is going to break off. And because it is older, you can get it cheaper.

Don't let all the posts and videos about technical quality hold you back from just going out there and creating. At the end of the day, it's about your talent and your stories. Tell them. I've seen big TV shows with Alexa's suck. I've seem people do amazing things with iPhones. It's not the cameras, its you and how you use them.

So if you're gonna go tell stories, and you have about $1200 bucks to do so, get this camera, the kit lens, and an on camera mic. That's all you need. I promise you.
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2015
I just returned from a Rhine River Cruise and am ready to comment on the 70D. I've been a dedicated amateur for over 40 years and have been shooting with a 5DIII for the past two. I was intrigued with the real time auto focus and thought the 70D could replace my camcorder while traveling and maybe even the 5DIII. However, I took both bodies and three lenses, the 16-35 L IS, 24-105 L IS, and the 70-300 L IS. If you want a very technical review I would suggest; http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/. This is a great site for honest reviews.

So here goes. Before leaving for Europe, we took the grandkids to a fair with lots of rides. It was a sunny day with tons of light. The realtime auto focus worked perfectly. The video blew away my Canon XA10, but since the cam isn 't shooting through "L" glass, that makes sense. I used the 24-105 L IS, which became a 38-168 on the 70D. That's a great range for video. The lens focused quickly, but quietly. The 16-35 L IS focuses faster, but is very noisy making it a not great choice for video. The 70-300L IS is OK, slightly noisy. In Europe, I started out carrying both bodies, the 5DIII with the 16-35 and the 70D with the 24-105. Great for quick shots without having to change lenses. The 16-35 was especially useful in those narrow streets with great architecture. On the 5DIII, it's truly 16mm. On the 70D, you would need a 10mm lens and they get very pricey. Comparing image quality isn't very fair, since there's a big difference between the camera's in size and cost. The 70D's image is very good and if you weren't doing a direct comparison, is more than acceptable. However, the images on the 5DIII just "pop", even in Raw without tweaking. The color saturation, especially the sky, looks like there's a polarizer on. The 70D's are almost as good after some computer processing. All in all, very impressive for that level of camera. Video was a mixed bag. In bright sunlight; awesome. In a "lounge" setting with low light, some focus hunting and lots of grain. The superior ISO of the 5DIII really shows up here; but then it doesn't real time focus. A 5D with realtime auto focus would be the ticket!

Bottom line: This is an incredible value. Unless you're a camera geek like me, it will do just about everything you could want in a relatively compact, inexpensive package. Stick on some "L" glass and you've got a winner.
on December 6, 2013
After using my Canon Rebel T1i/500D for about 4 years, and investing in some nice lenses (EF-S 18-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM) I decided I needed to upgrade my camera body and take advantage of some of the latest technology to improve my shots. I have had the Canon 70D for about a month now, and I am super happy with my purchase so far.

I had two main reason for wanting an upgrade to my camera body: (1) I wanted improved AF options, as with the shallow depth of field of some of my lenses, I often had a hard time using the AF on the T1i and getting the right object in focus. The T1i has a limited number of AF points, no Cross-Type points, and manually selecting the AF point is not easy on the T1i. (2) I have started shooting more video with my DSLR, and I was intrigued with the Dual Pixel auto-focus ability of the 70D. When choosing a new body, I narrowed my choices down to the 6D and the 70D. In the end, I chose the 70D because of the increased number of cross-type AF points (19), and the new Dual Pixel AF for shooting video, and it comes at a lower price (while clearly sacrificing some of the image quality of the full-frame sensor on the 6D). I also got to keep all my current lenses with the 70D, whereas my EF-S lenses would not have worked on the 6D.

After shooting with the 70D for a month, here are my impressions so far:

Pros:
-AF! The Auto-Focus is light years ahead of the T1i, and my shots have improved significantly as a result. I love the ability to switch quickly between the 3 different AF options by hitting the small button next to the shutter release button. I usually leave it in the Auto-Selection AF mode, and found that the 19 cross-type AF points do a MUCH better job of auto-selecting the focus points. When the camera doesn't select the right objects, I usually switch to single-point selection, and then use the toggle on the back of the camera to move to the correct point. I can do all of this in about 1-second while still looking through the viewfinder the whole time.
-Flip-Out Touch-screen LCD: I didn't realize how much I would like this, but I really do. I have used the flip-out option several times when shooting at odd angles using the LiveView option, or when shooting video. The touch-screen also works very well, with all the familiar gestures from your touch-screen phone (swipe to view next photo, pinch to zoom, etc.). I also like that in Live-View, I can simply touch the screen on the point I want the camera to focus on, and the camera focuses to that point and releases the shutter.
-WiFi: I have found the WiFi most useful for using the EOS Remote app on my iPhone to remotely view photos, or control the camera from my iPhone. Similar to the camera's own touch-screen, I can use a "LiveView" on my iPhone and simply touch my iPhone screen on the focal point and the camera focuses and releases the shutter. You can also remotely change all the settings of the camera from the phone. I have also used the WiFi to transfer photos to my computer, but its pretty slow, so I usually just use the USB cable instead.
-Drive Modes: The camera has a lot of great drive modes, including a burst-mode of 7 per second. I also like that is has a silent drive mode, which is something I didn't have on the T1i and is great when shooting during a quiet event.
-Dual-Pixel AF with video. This works as advertised, and I found playing the the 3 different AF options to be really easy to use and intuitive. You can either have it auto-focus and track faces (works well if the face isn't moving too fast), AF zone mode (meaning you choose a certain zone of the screen and the camera focuses on whatever moves into that zone), or just touch a point on the screen and the camera will focus to it until you touch somewhere else.
-Viewfinder: The viewfinder is light years ahead of my T1i. I can tell much more easily if I am in focus and I also have enjoyed using the level option (a little icon tells you if you are holding the camera level or tilting it to one side or another).

Cons:
-The camera is much bigger and heavier than the T1i. In some ways this is better to balance out the weight of some of my lenses, but still it is definitely heavier and larger than what I am used to holding/carrying for the last 4 years.
-Plastic-feel - I was hoping for over $1,000+ camera-body that it would feel less plasticky, but unfortunately this one does not. I guess you need to move up to the 5D to get a more metallic-feel to the camera.
-Focus noise in video. While the AF works well in video, unless you have the new STM lens, the focusing makes a lot of clicking noises that are picked up in your video. My USM lenses are really loud in the video. I really wish now that I had gotten the kit-lens so I at least had one STM lens for shooting video, especially when I know I want the ambient audio to sound clean and am not just planning to dub over music or something.
-Only one card slot. Would have been nice to add the extra card slot for more video-shooting capacity, or backing up photos.

Final thoughts: If you are thinking of upgrading from a camera-body similar to the T1i/500D, this camera offers a huge jump in technology that makes a big difference in the quality of your shots and video, as well as some huge improvements in convenience and usability (flip-out touch-screen LCD, WiFi, improved viewfinder, etc.). I think you get a lot of value for the price, if you are willing to live without a full-frame sensor, I can't imagine a better camera for hobbyist photo and video enthusiasts for this price.
on May 8, 2015
If you are someone who wants the best, but you ha ve no plans on becoming a professional, this is the camera for you. This camera is for anyone who loves to photograph a variety subjects. Not only is for still shots, but also has good video capabilities with the ability to attach m icrophones to obtain stereo videos. Ir may cost more than comprable cameras, but it is well worth it. If you are a point and shoot person forget it here. You have work to learn all the things you can do with this camera, but in the end you will be happy. If you are really serious about becoming a much better photographer buy "David Busch's Canon EOS 70D Guide to Digital SLR Photography." It is over 400 pages and explains everything in detail. In the field, the "Compact Field Guide for Canon 70D" will save you time and grief. Take gtreat pcture with these guicdes and you will spend much less time on the computer trying to fix your photographs.
on December 29, 2016
I am a new youtube / blogger and wanted to pic upgrade the quality of the video on my channel and on my webpage. Also be able to take awesome pictures of family and life experiences. I wanted a camera that would have a quiet auto zoom for video and image stabilization built in. Also one that would be easy to use for a beginner. Out of the box it was intimidating at first with all the controls but I was able to set everything to auto and get started recording right away. Instruction manual is great so I am able to make some adjustments and learn my camera however other instructional videos on Youtube are making it much easier for me to learn the fantastic controls on my camera. I did also purchase a 64 gig Sd card so I would have more than enough storage for Video. Canon EOS 70D Video Creator Kit with 18-135mm Lens, Rode VIDEOMIC GO and Sandisk 32GB SD Card Class 10 - Wi-Fi Enabled
Enthusiast: Photographyon November 25, 2015
Previously I had only used a Canon T3i and I was looking to upgrade to something that took better photos and video. This camera takes wonderful photos and the video is amazing as well. For myself, video is its primary function and photos second and the STM and image stabilization work wonderfully well. The focus is always spot on and you can even adjust the focus point by touching the touch screen to a certain point. There is very little noise as it auto focuses and as long as you stay smoothly moving, it automatically keeps up and in focus.
I bought 2 extra batteries as sometimes while on the road I don't have access or time to charge them but the battery life is pretty good even when shooting video. The standard audio is well what you would expect so I also use a Rode external mic that runs off the battery. I had worried that the mic would be a big drain but that's not the case and the audio difference is drastically improved.
It's noticeably larger and heavier than my T3i but you quickly get used to the added size and now the T3i seems almost small.
The kit lens that came with it is relatively lightweight and takes great photos and video throughout its focal lengths. I also bought a 10-18mm to get some wider shots and between the two lens I can do a great deal of the shooting I need to accomplish.
If you are looking to step up in cameras, this is a great choice in my opinion with much better results in video or photos than my T3i which has served me well and still is in use albeit a bit more limited these days. Depending on what you're going to be shooting the 18-135mm covers a lot of ground and is a good overall first lense. If you can afford it and need some wider shots check out the 10-18mm and with both you should be covered.

I do wish it had come with a lens hood and lens cover but I guess Canon figures you'll buy them separately which I did. There's choices that are just as good as the Canon options and work just as well and they're worth the few extra bucks you'll spend to protect your lenses.
on July 20, 2015
Upgrade to my 60D that I bought mainly because it would support use of the Canon GPS unit. The improvements over the 60D also include wi-fi, useful for off-loading images onto my iPad at the end of the day, but most remarkable is the auto-focus speed when using the electronic display, rather than the optical viewfinder. Instead of a super-long pause during which time whatever you wanted to shoot has disappeared forever, the camera goes off as quickly as it would if you were using the optical viewfinder. There's a lot of science behind that, but, in essence, they can focus using information from the electronic target, rather than having to move the mirror into place, set the focus, and move the mirror out of the way again. It makes their flippy electronic viewfinder even more useful than before. Now, if Canon would only continue moving that feature up the camera line, they could sell me more and more expensive cameras: I've walked away with so many great shots because of being able to hold the camera over my head or down near the ground without getting mud all over me. It doesn't make sense anymore, particularly now that the focus problems are behind them, for them not to add this feature to every camera expected to be used off a tripod.

BTW, if you're a Rebel user, this is a no-brainer the next time you want to upgrade: Its interface is very close, several problems with the Rebel do not exist on this camera, and both the quality of automation as well as the ease of manual control are wonderfully upgraded. Plus, all the lenses fit.
VINE VOICEon June 24, 2015
The full-time continuous autofocus on this camera (in video mode) is absolutely brilliant. Compared to other cameras like the Nikon D7100 it's not even a fair comparison. It's more fair to compare the 70D with higher-end pro HD camcorders, because the face/object tracking is so good it blows all the other DSLRs out of the water... even other Canons.

I've only had this camera for a few weeks, but I have found myself shooting much more video than taking still photos. With my previous camera (a Nikon D7000) I rarely ever shot video, because it didn't autofocus. Even the newer Nikons autofocus, but you can see them hunt back and forth for focus point during shots. The Canon 70D is smooth and stays on subject 98% of the time.

The STM lenses aren't perfect, I have the 18-135 that came with the camera and the 10-18 STM lens as well. They don't have very wide maximum apertures, so they aren't great in low light. But the 70D isn't bad at high ISOs so even shooting at night, there's not that much noise... not enough to make the footage unusable anyway. And they're almost completely silent, unlike my Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, which you can hear clearly even with a hotshoe-mounted microphone instead of the on-camera audio. The focus is fast and dead on.

I also love the flip-out LCD viewfinder. It's great for vlogging, which is why I bought the camera. This is really *THE* DSLR if you want to shoot video on a non-professional budget.
I've been more than happy with this camera. It's seen lots of use (and some light abuse) for 3 years and still works great. Even today it's still a worthy camera. Sitting in basically the middle of the Canon lineup (when it was release), it offered a build quality and features above the Rebel line and just below the semi and pro cameras. For anyone that wants a nice camera and feels they may outgrow a Rebel camera or wants more configuration options/control, but can't afford a 6D/7D or higher, this is a great choice. It has proven to be very reliable for me. I've taken it on many hikes (with it bouncing around), used it the cold (snow) and light rain (covering it the best I could) and it's never let me down.

I don't do a lot of video, but what I have done turned out nice. It may not have the video features some other cameras, but the DPAF and touch screen are really nice. I find the 1080p video to be fine. You're not going to make feature films with it, but that's not what it's really designed for. I've used almost all the STM lenses on it and they all focus smoothly and quietly, but I still recommend using an external mic.

With still photos I don't really have any complaints. It's focused well with all the lenses I've put on it except for the 50mm 1.8 II, but that's more the lens than the camera. Noise at high ISOs is tolerable, especially if you're not making huge prints.

Overall I highly recommend this camera. If it has the features you want/need and is in your price range, you can't go wrong with it.
on February 8, 2017
 I just absolutely love this - I have been able to learn so much, and have a great time with it. Couple of things that I have had to get over it:
a. the speed for fast moving objects - 7.5 fps is not enough
b. the writing speed of the SD card - The Extream-Pro UHS-I helped - it doesn't support UHS-II
c. the multi-point focus / autofocus can be hard to use and can make you miss fast action shots, or low lighting shots
d. not being a 1 for 1 from what you see on the viewfinder to what the actual picture - you have to compensate

the stock lens is good enough - but if you really want to unleash its fullest potential investing in a better lens is paramount
review image review image review image