Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon EOS 5D Mark II Full Frame DSLR Camera (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Style: 5D Mark II Body|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$1,999.99+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on October 26, 2010
Focusing screen falls loose on EOS 5D Mark II!
I have owned: EOS 30D, 40D, 50D, EOS 5, EOS 1D Mark III. I am a semi-professional photografer and I have published 8 books with more than 2000 pictures taken with these cameras. I am not a new beginner.
I worked with the camera with no problem a couple of months ago, stored it about two weeks without taking the lens off, when I took it out again I could not use the camera. When I took the lens off both the focusing screen and the superimpose plate fell out of the camera house.
This has happened on numerous occasions for several users even on brand new cameras, see: [...]
Canon does not acknowledge this problem and do not accept that this is a construction fault or a guarantee matter. I had to pay fully for the "repair" and exchange of the focusing screen, even though they "found nothing wrong with the camera house, including the focusing screen".
This is obviously a bad construction!
I do not recommend this camera house to anyone anymore because I just won't be able to trust it working out in the field!
Very unprofessional behaviour of Canon Corp!
Is there any one else out there that experienced the same thing?
2929 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am revising my review after using this camera for 1.5 years. I am so disappointed. I do not know what has happened to Canon recently - but when you buy two brand new camera bodies of different models and you have to send them BOTH in just a month after ownership with the same exact problem - there's a problem. I ordered both this Canon 5D Mark II and an EOS 7D the same day for use in our department. Both were upgrades from older models that definitely went through 200,000 shutter clicks minimum - and we wanted higher ISO capabilities for shooting in low light without a flash.

I own a 30D personally and we already had a 50D and 20D in our department. Never any major problems with them and they STILL work. A former employee dropped the 20D really good, knocking the viewfinder off kilter by just enough so that what you see in frame is a few millimeters from what you really get - but shoot - we're just thrilled it still works.

Fast forward to the purchase of the brand new 7D and 5D Mark II. I was surprised how LOUD the 5D Mark II was. A much more expensive camera than we've ever had in our department - yet so loud - it would scare away wildlife or alert others in a quiet room to your shutter clicks much more than any previous model.

About 2-3 months into ownership, my boss tells me that when she used the 7D, it started giving error messages about the battery. I couldn't reproduce the errors at first. It was completely random. I turned it on and off - everything seemed to be fine. I traded cameras with her and carried it with me to several photo shoots until the problem manifested.

In the middle of taking photos - the shutter release just STOPS WORKING. The LCD panel says "Cannot communicate with battery. Use battery anyway?" OMG. Are you freaking serious, Canon? I'm trying to take a freaking photo. You bet your sweet assets I want to use the battery! You have to turn the jog wheel to OK to let the camera know, "Yes, darling, I for reals want to take the photo - that's why I've got my finger on the shutter release." That's not enough, though - because during a shoot, it would keep doing this over and over and over again. I get that the camera needs to know how much power the battery has left to give an accurate indicator atop the camera on how much juice you've got left... but there is a serious problem here.

I downloaded firmware updates and installed them all to the camera - got it up to date and the problem abated for a few days and came back with a vengeance. I googled the problem and TONS of people are having this issue... with both models - this one and the 7D. Supposedly, this is a problem when using a non-Canon battery. Well - guess what? We had the original battery by Canon that shipped with the camera in the camera body - and it was still doing this.

I sent the 7D off to repair and by the time it came back, the 5D Mark II started doing the same thing. Both units were still under warranty.

When the 7D AND the 5D Mark II came back from repair, the paperwork that came with it claimed they replaced only the PC card inside and that they 'cleaned' the viewfinder. The viewfinders were not merely CLEANED - they were REPLACED. They looked completely different - everything in the viewfinder was different. Not a settings issue, either... and the 5D Mark II wasn't clean. There was crap in the viewfinder that wasn't in there when I sent it off.

Well, fast forward again to last week - when only 1.5 years into ownership, and about 1 year since the last repair - and it's doing the same thing. Cannot communicate with battery. Hello, Canon! My camera does not need to 'poke' a friend on facebook. It does not need to make a blog entry. I don't care if it can't communicate with the battery or if the power indicator is not reliable when I'm in the middle of a shoot. I have other back-up batteries. Our older cameras - 20D, 30D, 50D - NEVER have had these problems. EVER. Only these newer models. Something is really sucking in Denmark and I've completely lost my faith in this brand. Along with our new camera bodies, I had also ordered a 28mm-300mm zoom lens. It was defective out of the box and I had to send it back for a replacement. What is going on with Canon? Did someone up the chain start making some cost-cutting decisions that made quality control or just plain quality suffer?

I just got a notification from Canon - even though I cited in the repair request that this is a recurring problem with their products that is well documented online and that we've already had this problem repaired - they are quoting us over $250 to repair THEIR PROBLEM. I did not drop the camera or play with it in the rain. This is a manufacturing/design defect.

I no longer trust Canon products. I will NEVER buy another Canon product. Even though we have great (older) Canon lenses, the next time we're up for camera upgrades in our budget, we're going to get Nikon.
on December 6, 2011
The camera is great, no doubt. But woe betide you if anything goes wrong! Canon does everything they can to avoid backing their products up with a meaningful warranty.

I had my camera a few days when the focusing screen fell out during use. (My local professional photography shop said this was a problem they had seen before.) I had no idea what was wrong, but after puzzling over it, I took the lens off and there it was, a detached focusing screen, sitting where it did not belong. I could see where it had fallen out from, so I reinserted it, but when I checked it out, it had gotten scratched.

I called Canon support and Jim, a supervisor, told me this was "not a manufacturing defect." I was astounded . . . a focusing screen falling out is not a defect? Jim had apparently been trained to worm out of backing up Canon products. I spent over 6 grand on the camera, lenses, flash . . . and Canon gets sleazy over a $40 focusing screen. Incredible.

I wish now I had bought the Nikon.
on November 18, 2010
I also bought the Canon 5D mark 2, had the same problem with the focus plate falling into the mirrors and blurred photo's. I returned and ordered a second one and had the exact same problem. Canon claims it is part of the design!
88 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2010
Had to return first one to Amazon as auto-focus was not working at all, this was replaced OK. Second one worked OK for a little while but with the poor low-light auto-focus and sharpness issues that are pretty well documented with this camera. After a few months started having power supply issues and the LCD screen stopped working so had to be returned to Canon service center for repair. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT CANON ABSOLUTELY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR WARRANTY and I now have a repair bill of one third the value of the camera (or a very expensive paper weight). They have now lost a long term customer who has spent many thousands of dollars on their equipment over the past few years, first time I try to use their warranty I get screwed over and totally stone-walled by their 'customer service' representatives. In my experience this has been a very unreliable piece of equipment and Canon a total disgrace in the way they deal with a loyal customer. My advice is to buy a Nikon, which is what I will be doing in future.
88 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2013
This is the most frustrating camera body ever - I have a lot of L-glass and find myself squeezing the trigger while it sits there trying to AF forever! I have tried all the tricks in the trade to get it to work and still miss 90% of timed shots. I don't recommend this camera to ANYONE!
on July 8, 2012
I have returned this camera once now and it was replaced by the store. Now that I have the new camera for two weeks now and the same trouble that I had with the last one started to appear again.

First it shows up like a grainy pink line on the top of the LCD screen; the next shot, it gets a little wider; third shot, the whole screen turns into a blurry pink display; then all white and pinkish and showing the display from the last shot and not the current one...

HELP!!!!!!

My lenses are all L lenses; Could it be the memory cards??
on November 20, 2013
The only reason I'm giving this camera (Which I've owned about 3 years now & LOVE) 1 star, is to bring attention to it's current price. of $2,800
If you want to purchase this camera, then DEFINITELY get the Canon EOS 5D Mark III. It's currently going for $3,000 on amazon.
Although a huge purchase for me, I'm so tempted to get the Mark III also, specifically because of the addition of the focal points. So disappointed in the Mark II only having 9. There seems to be quite a few other beneficial changes to the Mark III. Just read up on it.
The prices are just too close together for such substantial changes between Mark II & Mark III.
Definitely go for the Mark III, unless the Mark II goes below $2,000
55 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2009
Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

After a few months of trial and light use, I took the 5D Mark II I bought in December abroad with me on a critical project. The 5D Mark II failed completely on the first day of the project, under good conditions and normal use. Canon Tech Support confirmed that the "blue screen of death" on the LCD screen indicated the camera was completely nonfunctional, and informed me that my only alternative was to wait until I returned to the U.S., and then ship the 5D Mark II to Canon for several weeks of repair.

I informed Canon Tech Support that the total failure of a new 5D Mark II was not what I expected from that camera or from Canon. According to Tech Support, the failure of my 5D Mark II was "the luck of the draw", "everything fails", and while I travelled abroad in past years with functioning Canon DSLRs "someone else's Canon failed on the first day of their trip". This is not comforting.

Although I had a (yes, Canon) backup camera, it does not have the low-light capabilities which are the distinctive marketing points of the 5D Mark II, and which were needed in some settings where I could not bring flash or tripod.

The unreliability of the 5D Mark II is extremely disappointing. It remains to be seen what Canon is able or willing to do to correct the problem.
1010 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2010
After several years of reliable service from my old Canon EOS Rebel body, I was ready to move up to a "pro level" body when the 5D Mk II came out. I was one of the first photographers on Maui to buy the Mk II and I was REALLY looking forward to the overall measurably better picture quality promised by Canon and the indie reviews. After a couple of months of testing and comparisons with my old Canon body, I was VERY disappointed with the 5D MkII's output: EVERY PHOTO I TOOK, regardless of mode (AF and MF), turned out to be poorly focused, so much so that I couldn't even compensate for it in Photoshop. MY old Rebel EOS body (less than half the body-only price) produces much CLEARER images. I went back to using the older body and am returning the 5D MkII to the retailer for either a trade-in or heavy service work to correct whatever the problem is with the optics. My advice: If you absolutely MUST have one of these beasts, test drive it by viewing a few full-size images on-screen. You may be sorry otherwise.
66 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse