Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on October 4, 2000
This is a consumer-class lens with near professional-class performance. To give this lens 5 stars would be misleading, because such a high performance rating should be reserved for lenses at the tops of their respective class (namely, L-Series lenses and some of the better primes). I've been using the 28-105 lens as my take-everywhere-don't-worry-if-it-breaks lens and I have to tell you, I've had some GREAT results with it. Vignetting is minimal, and images are generally sharp, with good results on prints that are as large as 11"X14". I've had a few images published with this lens, but I generally reserve my fine art photography for my L-Series lenses and primes or my medium format camera, which give markedly better contrast, color correction and sharpness, but are kind of pricey. I'd really like to give this lens a 3.75 rating, but unfortunately, this site just gives you five choices. If you're looking for a better-than-average consumer zoom, go with this one. Run, RUN away from any of the other consumer zooms in this range (e.g., 35-70, 28-80) unless you're going to fork over a few extra bucks for the new Image Stabilizing lenses, which give better results. I hope this helps someone out there make an informed decision.
on August 6, 2000
The 28-105 is an amazingly useful lens. Although not as fast as the 28-70, it's a lot smaller and lighter. This is important in order to be mobile. It is also an extremly sharp lens, capable of professional results. The close focus is useful and using it with a 12mm or 25mm extension tube yields super results as well. Mechanical and electronic functions are superb. The USM motor in the lens is virtually silent. Nice lens.
on October 19, 2000
Canon's 28-105 lens is nice. It borders on great, but doesn't quite make it. First, the good stuff. Optically, the lens performs well. It is sharp, and maintains contrast well, particularly when used with a hood. The full-time-manual USM focusing is perhaps the best feature of the lens, which allows the user to manually adjust the focusing without having to flip a switch. The lens does have an autofocus/manual focus switch for completley disabling autofocus, though. The zoom range is convenient for general use. Now, let's talk about some of the drawbacks. The aperture range (f3.5 to f4.5) is somewhat limiting for lower-light photography, and for portraiture when you want to throw the background out of focus. The lens does exhibit barrel distortion. The body construction doesn't feel quite as sturdy as some of Canon's other lenses. Overall, the lens is a pretty good compromise of quality, price, focal range, performance, and optics.
on May 12, 2013
I've read that this lens is the same optically as the newer version II, so I looked around on ebay and picked one up for only $95 wooohooo!! The lens is a lot of fun. It's almost always on my 6D (I know, I know, it's a $1900 dollar camera, why bother with this p.o.s.?) Well, it's got everything one would need to take great shots in good light (now with 6D getting good results at iso 12800, in bad light light too): lighting quick USM, insta-manual overide, great focal length range, and decent aperture (I almost always shoot Av @ 5.6 anyway)

It's sharp! The colors are good (no CA, but low contrast which is very simple to correct in adobe raw) At 5.6 it's approaching L quality and at f8 it's there. So why break your back lugging some big huge L monster around when this works perfect? If you're like me then when you need some low DOF artsy-fartsy shots, you'll whip out your 50mm 1.8, 85 1.8, or 100 2.0 and be a hundred times better than the L monster zooms anyway.

On top of all this, the newer full frames correct for CA and fall off in camera, which is the reason I bought this in the first place. Looks great, saves the back and the back pocket.

Edit October 2013:

I took away one star just because the handling is so bad. The manual focus mechanism is basically unusable.
on January 8, 2016
I bought this lens used. It was in great shape when I got it. I am extremely pleased with the sharpness. Blows away any of the standard kit lenses. The focal length is fantastic for everyday shooting. I am very happy with this purchase, and with the great price I got on it.
on October 19, 2000
on January 25, 2016
for the price i got it and its functional abilities its a decent lens, have yet to actually dial it in and try to get some really nice shots but for what i have gotten with it, its pretty decent! attached some photos of some custom barber shop pendent necklaces i made
review image review image review image
on August 1, 2015
Haven't really had a chance to try it yet. This is my first DSLR so still trying to figure it out. Wanted an in between lens from the 75-300 mm lens that came with the bundle. Have Canon Rebel T5. Im on a budget and bought this used so time will tell. Wanted something as a leave on lens. Came with the 55mm lens. Thanks!
on January 11, 2014
I just received this awsome lense to use with my Canon 10D and my T3, I installed it on the 10D and the camera performed flawless
I was having alot of (error99) with a 75-300mm from Tamron and I thought it was the Camera, but when I put this baby on, the camera just came alive and took some beautiful pictures, the best I've shot since I bought this camera, subjects are sharp and the auto focus is fast and accurate, I can't say enough about this lense,
Thank you Premier Pawn for this great lense 5 stars to both lense and Seller...
on July 22, 2015
This was my first lens, and was the catalyst for my photography love. It is a great price, and will suffice to any photographer's needs (in its focal range). It taught me some of the most important lessons I've ever learned in the photographic realm. First, don't fall into the marketing scheme. There's many lenses in this price range that will provide beautiful images. Canon just wants you to keep spending money on lenses that are not necessary for 95% of the population, they are a business, not you're friend. Second, the first thing you should do as a photographer is find your style. Identify what makes you unique and explore the vast cosmos of photography. Don't listen to single word of the pretentious glass snobs' that are fixated on futile passions. Like Henri Cartier Bresson said, "Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." Sorry if I ranted, but I wish I had known this going into the game. Heres some photos I took with this great lens.
review image review image