BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Russell Dickerson Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 21, 2011
I purchased this camera as a replacement to my Canon SD870IS which I was very happy with. The features that really caught my eye in the 310 HS were the 1080p video, 12MP images (I print LARGE poster size images at time), the large LCD screen and the new flash technology. I didn't want a touch screen as my interface so I went with the 310 instead of the 510.

So far I've taken about 500 pictures and 20 videos (some 1080p others 720p) with the camera both inside and outside. Overall I'm impressed with the quality of the pictures and VERY impressed with the video quality.

Pictures:

When you set the camera to Auto is does a decent job at detecting the environment. It adjusts the focus/lighting accordingly and takes a decent pictures. However, there are times where I have been taking a wide angle scenic view and it decides to focus on the nearby post and adjust to macro. When it does that, the picture comes out a little grainy and some areas are out of focus. You can't see it on the LCD screen, but when you get it out of the camera and on a larger screen it really shows.

The Image Stabilization (IS) feature is really nice to have. You can watch the camera adjusting for your minor movements that you may have when holding the camera up.

The camera offers the ability to take pictures in numerous formats. The default is 4:3, but it also offers, 16:9, 3:2 and 1:1. The manual mode allows you the ability to changing lighting, ISO, scene, white balance and compression. There are way too many modes to go into each one (26 in total).

If you want to take excellent quality pictures you need to be aware that Auto isn't always what you want and if you move that switch to manual and adjust the settings the pictures will come out looking sharp and cleaner.

Videos:

This is really where the camera shines. The videos are fantastic. You can shoot at 1080p and 720p or your standard 480i. The IS for the videos works flawlessly. My first "test" video was of my kids playing soccer and me purposely moving the camera to see how the IS works. After downloading it and viewing on a 60" TV there were times where we though the camera was placed on a tri-pod. The IS works that good. The video quality is top notch and most of the time I shoot at 720p.

The format of the videos are MOV. Previous Canon camera shot videos using AVI. This camera will not play back any AVI files (as I found out because I swapped memory sticks from my old to new).

Shooting a 1080p results in a video total bitrate of roughly 36K kbps at 23fps and audio bit rate of 1600kbps. Shooting at a 720p resulted in a video total bitrate of 25K kbps at 29fps and an audio of 1600kbps. Audio is 2 channel stereo at 48kHz for both.

However, there are two things that I wish this camera did different when it comes to video. The first is the size of the videos and it's compression. At 1080p a 1 minutes and 45 seconds the video is 460MB in size. Given this is a HD video, but other cameras and even some phones offer the same quality and time with less space. The second is the removal the "Time Lapse" feature of videos. With my SD870IS it had the ability to record a video as a time lapse that would allow it to take a pictures every 1 or 2 seconds and stitch it into a video. I utilized that feature on numerous occasions and it has been removed.

Battery:

The battery claims to take 250 pictures on a single charge. However, I was only able to get about 180 (no flash) on the first charge before I had to insert a different fully charged battery. Perhaps it will increase overtime and as the battery becomes more used. I would recommend that you invest in an additional battery and carry that with you as well. From the time that the "low battery indicator" came on I was able to get about 15 more pictures before it shutdown.

Design:

I was hoping that they would offer the Red of the 510HS on the 310HS but I can't fault them for that. The case is nice and well put together. It's very functional and the buttons are intuitive and properly placed. I have not had an incident where I pushed the wrong button.

Overall I'm really impressed with the camera and it's feature set. It will take some adjusting to make sure that Auto is taking the pictures that I want it to take, but overall it's a great camera.
review image review image
2424 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2011
I have to say that I was happy to be one of the first people to buy this camera. I actually received it before it was being officially marketed at BestBuy stores. I saw a lady online post that the camera was in storage at many of the stores but that you could request for them to retrieve a box from storage, and they couldn't refuse you to buy one for a sale. I didn't believe this tactic, but I went to a BestBuy, and tried it. The guy told me that they had it in the back, and came back with three boxes. I was so surprised, and he then asked me, "Which color would you like." Apparently, it wasn't being officially marketed, but you could still unofficially request one, and be allowed to purchase it. I felt lucky. I used it on my birthday (Sep 30). I freelance with photography as a serious side hobby, and I own a Canon 60D. I have been waiting impatiently for this Elph 310 HS to come out, due to it's new HS system, larger and 450,000 dot per square inch Hi Def (improved) 3" screen, and the improved 8x optical zoom (which btw worked wonders). When I started using this at Disneyland, my friends and I was amazed at the clarity of the pictures. Being a serious freelance photographer, it have a lot of high standards when it comes to picture quality, shutter speed, and overall satisfaction. I was blown away by this camera. Not only that, but I was also blown away by the 1080p quality of the video (wow). I didn't buy this for video, but geese-it's great! I will, however, advise anyone buying a camera with any megapixel count over 3mp, to buy a high speed memory card. Do not be fooled into buying a cheap memory card. The standard is this. Buy one with at least 20MBPS speeds or more (nothing less This will cost at least 39 bucks for a 16Gigabite card, and you will thank me later, trust me. Try buying that cheap, crappy, slow card, you will notice shutter lag, video will stop all of a sudden while you are recording video 10 seconds into recording, and you will notice that your camera is super slow when trying to take pictures. Remember that your memory card is like a computer processor. The slower it is, the slower your computer will perform calculations. Keep this in mind. Suggested brand and memory capacity? Sandisk 16GB (Class 6) SDHC card (it's labeled SANDISK ULTRA). Well worth your buy. I hope this helps you all. You will not be sorry with this camera. One thing I will say is that the menus took some getting used to, and the buttons are way too flat for my larger sized fingers, but most of you will probably not have the same trouble I do with that issue, lol. I'm 6.5'with large hands. Any questions, please feel free to reply. You won't believe the results of your new Canon Elph 310 HS. Trust me. I know what I am talking about. Ask away.....
review image review image review image
5150+ comments| 454 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2011
I just ordered mine and I hav enothingbut good thinsg to say about it! The large screen makes reviewing photos a pleasure. Colours are crisp and clear. I went out with a few friends to have dinner the night that I took it out of the box and it was a hit with them as well. They noticed the crisp colours and took note of the model - they were that impressed. It works well in low lighting - the flash is very bright so pictures may look overexposed , but hey - at least you get to see everything and too much light is better than not enough of it.

I spent a looooong time checking out reviews and if you are in my old shoes, I suggest that you get the leather case made by Canon sold on Adorama.com for 12$. It fits perfectly and make a stylish addition to any outing. Secondly, get a screen guard - the clear adhesive that you get to protect your phone. I put on mine the day after I used it which meant cleaning it carefully with babywipess, cotton and the cloth that comes with th ephone screen protector.I will also warn you that you will need at least a class 10 16GB SD card to go with this camera since the pixels take up space and the SD card influences shutter speed since it affects processing time internally.

The menu is loaded with lots of great features. Make sure that you read the manual that comes with the CD so that you can access those features.

Additionally, I have to give Amazon props for super speedy shipping. I ordered it Wednesday night and it was in my hands by Saturday evening.

This camera is an excellent investment for anyone who is picky about features and pictures. The extra pixels dont mean much. Camera features matter much more and thsi Canon baby is it!

Finally, go to youtube and check out the reviews of the camera. One of the first reviews you will find is by a photography editor who explains the DIFFERENCES between this model and ELPH 300. This will help you to make a decision in the event that you don't know if you want to put out the extra fifty bucks for the ELPH 310. His video review was actually the most helpful review I found - the video means you get to see pictures that he's taken.

Having owned a camera I disliked for two years, this camera is a welcome change. I promise you that you will not regret your investment.
on November 3, 2011
I am a camera fiend. I honestly researched cameras for a year before making my investment and I PROMISE YOU this camera was worth every single penny spent. The pictures are absolutely precisely clear and the video is amazing. I love how the auto feature is able to detect the type of picture you are taking and automatically switches the camera setting to that feature (i.e when you go to take a picture of a person, it will automatically switch to portrait mode). The 1080p video is easy to use and is awesome. The low light feature is the best out of any camera I have ever used and it is just awesome. The optical zoom is 8x but what is great is that you can go up to 32x zoom and the pictures are definitely not blurry. AMAZING!!!! My friends are completely jealous ;)
on November 8, 2011
Canon PowerShot ELPH 310 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 8x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom Lens and Full 1080p HD Video (Silver)

I was so looking forward to getting this camera. I have the 300 hs and thought the 310 hs would offer a few upgraded features. It arrived about two hours ago and couldn't wait to try it out. I already had a charged battery so I was good to go. I love the added zoom and the pictures are detailed and had plenty of color. I ordered this camera because of the good reviews and didn't pay much attention to a comment about motor noise. Boy, was I wrong. I took several videos inside and out, with very little noise and in a noisy background. Every single video I took had a loud motor noise when zooming. I only heard the noise when the video was played back on my computer. I was also using a class 10, 16g Sandisk card. I didn't expect this because my 300 hs has no added noise when zooming. I guess if you don't zoom while trying to video it would work but that really defeats the whole purpose. I am very disappointed so packed it up and asked for a refund due to being defective. I still might try another 310 hs in the future because it meets all of my requirements and would be great on vacation. I hope this helps someone.

Update! Well, I decided to give it another try and purchased another 310hs. The motor noise is still there but have made peace with it because the quality of the pictures are so good. I changed my review from 3 stars to 4 and will make sure I have zoomed
before I video. All things considered this is a great little camera and am very happy with it.
88 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2011
I really liked the size of the 300 but didn't like the screen resolution and it's smaller size screen. When I saw the improvements made on the 310 I jumped on it when it was released after researching many cameras. After a trip to Disney World I can say this is a great camera. Good 8x zoom, great in low light, great video. I own a Nikon SLR and was happy that I wasn't one of those other people that was lugging theirs around all day like others were doing. This camera is good enough where you won't feel guilty leaving the SLR at home and get good shots. Point and shoots are coming a long way to being great cameras if you use the right the settings. But you will need an extra battery for sure! I barely made it each day without it going dead as I was leaving the exit door after taking about 200 shots and lots of video. I wish I bought an extra battery at purchase and not have to resort to battery ration. Plus the battery is small enough to not be a big deal to carry an extra one.
review image review image review image
on August 22, 2017
Excellent camera, fair videos, great compact size with CMOS processing rather than the older CCD.
Videos are going to experience sound issues unless camera is held super steady or by using a tripod. Otherwise, video recordings may have internal gears, focusing and stabilization noises picked up. As far as a good compact pocket digital camera...which can certainly perform as well as most Bulky SLR's...this is a good one to consider. The side menu is not such a bad idea. Other complained , It is a non issue. The zoom X 8 as well as extreme close up are excellent. Great quality over all. Made in China vs. earlier models always from Japan.
on January 3, 2012
Simple to operate, small, excellent results, modest price.

The worst part of the ELPH 310HS ( or IXUS 230HS ) is the name. In the USA Canon sells an entirely different camera called the SX 230HS. Ordering the camera or batteries becomes a test of your ability to clarify Canon's terrible nomenclature. There are reviews of this camera that incorrectly refer to it as the ELPH 230HS!

Buy a couple of extra batteries from Amazon (NB-4L) for $10 each (get the 1200 mamp type.) Don't get the NB-5L type battery for the 230HS. The $6 Case Logic TBC-302 case nicely holds two extra batteries and the camera.

In the "Auto" mode you get good movies and excellent stills. The really nice part is that you get these results without having to bother with camera settings. Switching to the "P" mode gives you more options and settings to play with but, if you just want excellent results leave it in auto.

When taking a pic, push the exposure button ½ way down to focus. When the focus area turns green push the button the rest of the way. Focusing generally takes less than ½ a second. If you just push the button all the down you'll often get an out of focus pic. Forgetting to focus may explain why some reviewers are dissatisfied with the cameras output. There are both pro and con arguments for this focusing method. You just need to be aware of how to operate the 310.

11x14 borderless prints exhibit excellent quality when shot in good light. Quality does decrease in darker situations but is still acceptable. All small sensor cameras exhibit that behavior. Facial recognition works most of the time.

Pricing is a little strange. At the time of this writing, depending upon color, the price varies from $196 to $230 for the same camera from the same vendor. Why does a blue copy cost 15% more than a purple copy? Probably done by the same genius that named the camera!

The ELPH 310HS is an excellent travel camera. I've ordered a second one for my wife.
on October 5, 2012
I have had this camera for about 10 months. It takes great shots, even in low light. I am having a lens retract issue, which could not be resolved by phone (canon customer support). The lens is stuck in the outward position. I have not dropped the camera or spilled anything on it or damaged it in any way. Canon said to return it for repairs as it has a one year warranty. It is yet to be seen if they will repair it free. If they decide it is damaged, which it is not, then I have to pay for repairs. I have been advised that this problem could cost up to $180 to repair, which is useless as a new one costs not much more than that. Of course, I have to pay shipping, too.

Update: I sent my camera to Canon via FedEx. The day they received it, I got 2 emails from Canon, one stating that based on a preliminary inspection I wouldn't have to pay for repairs. The same day, later on, I received another email stating that they would replace my camera (free) with a new or refurbished camera. Thursday evening, I received my refurbished camera, which looks brand new. It has a 3 month warranty, which is fine as my old one would have expired in 2 months. They also included a battery & charger, so now I have an extra of each. I sent the camera and got it back in less than a week. I am very pleased with their customer service.
on January 4, 2012
I am a camera junkie and this is the 12th digital camera I've owned. I have a DSLR, but like to keep a small camera on me since my phone doesn't take the greatest pictures. I had to replace my PowerShot SD1300 (piece of crap!) because the pictures were so terrible. A friend of mine had the Elph 310 on a recent trip and I was blown away at the quality of pictures & videos, so I bought it also.

I've had over a month to test it out so here is what I think:
This is the 3rd best camera I've owned (DSLR & G Series are #1 & #2) I love the size of it! I love how many options it has and different modes. My absolute favorite feature is the low light setting! The shutter speed is faster than my DSLR. Granted, the pictures are only 3mp on that setting, but they all come out gorgeous. Really beyond my expectations. I've also had a chance to play around with the different night settings and the quality is amazing. Everything is in focus, crisp & clear. The zoom is great.. alittle grainy, but that is to be expected. Regular auto setting pictures come out beautiful & bright, never blurry.

Video quality is the best I have seen so far on any digital camera..

Battery life is not the greatest, especially when you take pictures and videos in one shoot. I've found I can easily drain the battery in a day or 2 which can be frustrating. The high burst setting which allows you to take a ton of pictures with one click of the shutter is not the greatest. I've tried it on different subjects and they all come out alittle blurry..

All in all, I highly recommend this camera! I'm very impressed and would buy it again.