Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,799 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,757 reviews
on February 12, 2017
Got a dud the first time around. Lots of noise while focusing in auto and manual. Also an odd fit. Scratchy when putting on. Metal back is a great upgrade but there was clearly a problem. Contacted the seller (33st Camera) and got a new lens within a day of returning it. Now I can review the actual lens: It is beautiful. So sharp. And the 1.8 aperture is wonderful. New lens is quiet and a much smoother fit. So happy with this lens. Also, because using on a T3i with a crop facotr of 1.6, I use a .43 Altura wide angle adapter - which turns out to be .63, which is much better because it cancels out the crop factor giving me almost exactly the focal length of the lens I am using/want to use. So with the wide alge lens, it is a 50mm and looks great. Without the wide angle lens, it is 80mm and beautiful as well. So sharp when it comes to close ups. At 1.8 as well. A beautiful lens. Ps - I ordered the f/1.8 II because I thought it looked a little better, and got the STM instead (probably because they don't make the older version any more). Everyone says the glass is the same, and everything else is better... better made, better focusing, better motor, etc. At the same price, it seems impossible to go wrong. For the price, it is a remarkablely wonderful prime lens.
on April 30, 2016
This lens gives you no zoom yet I have shot over 15K photos with it in the last 8 months.
Here is why I would recommend this to anyone getting serious about their photography:

IMAGE QUALITY:
The image quality is excellent, if you are still using a kit lens or some cheap off brand lens you picked up you will want to forget you ever owned them. This thing gets close to the sharpness of L glass that I have used, has good but not amazing color reproduction and depth of field control like I had never experienced before. F2 and below melts everything but your subject away into generally pleasing Bokeh (see attached shots). Just know it is soft at the wider apertures, only pro glass seems to be razor sharp wide open. F4 became my go-to as that is when it's sharpness hits near its peak and the DOF was highly manageable on my APS-C camera. F8 is a razor blade and will show more detail than is flattering for some subjects.

THE PRIME EXPERIENCE:
Astounding image quality for price aside, this thing makes you think more about the important things simply because it's a prime. You never have to think about what focal length to zoom to on your subject, you just frame your subject and shoot. The consistent frame becomes something you see mentally with your moment and you begin to visualize your shot before your camera is in front of you. More intentionality means better photos.

BUILD QUALITY:
Feels plastic-y and cheap, makes quiet-ish noises when focusing. Held up to minor drops and so far 8 months of sling-over-shoulder-bump-into-everything abuse. It survives and keeps giving me beautiful images, only praises here. Manual focus works but this lens is designed for AF so its nothing I would use unless I had to.

Incredible bang for buck and I will hold on to this "niffty 50" as long as I shoot Canon.
on June 19, 2016
I bought this lens as a replacement for a 50mm f/1.8 lens that I had bought a few years ago but a friend had knocked my camera off of a table and it broke, I had been using this lens for everything, so I had to get one ASAP. I prefer this lens to the kit lens that came with my T3i, the lower aperture makes it possible to get more light in and you can make an awesome bokeh effect if you have it all the way down. I paid about $90 for my lens which seems like a fair price because I use it all the time and I absolutely love the way the picture come out. I think it's a great lens for beginners to use and is a good lens to invest in if you're just starting out and you don't want to go straight for the more expensive lenses.
review image review image review image
on August 9, 2013
Alright, so Ill be the first person to say I did TONS of research before buying this lens. Im actually a wedding photographer. The kind who does affordable stuff for people who cant afford thousands of dollars. Id love to purchase the lenses that cost $700.00 plus, but realistically...Im far too broke for that. But, I think I do pretty oustanding photography work for someone who is using a Canon T3 and my lenses consist of an 18-55 and a 70-300 lens which is standard with my kit. For what I had, I made do great, but wanted to bring a new addition to it. So I bought this lil guy for 100.00 ...I was skeptical bc it was so small, but dont be fooled by any stretch of the imagination...this little lens is PHENOMENAL. It is SO incredibly sharp, and it does AMAZING even in low lighting.

Ive never been the type to give technical specs, Im more of the speak what you know...Im not too saavy with all the spec stuff. I just have a good eye for photos, and after reading HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of reviews and researching lenses for WEEKS trying to find a good buy for under $200.00...this was hands down the one.

I can notttt emphasise enough how great this little lens is. Who the hell would wanna use an 18-55 if you own this little guy. The quality is superior, the shipping was soo quick and it was packaged new in box, even though I got it mine cheaper used.

If your trying to take your game up, but dont have HUNDREDS to spend...buy this one. I promise promise promise... you will not regret it. I admit I dont know half as much as so many photographers out their, but I can tell you one thing...this lens is unbelievable.
When I first received the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 lens I thought I had been conned. It's very light, made of fairly cheap plastic and just felt like a toy rather than a proper camera lens but don't let the construction of the lens fool you.

Some people may be thinking I've got a zoom lens that does a lot more than just a fixed 55mm, so why would I want to spend money on this lens? In a word, aperture. Most zooms have apertures starting at around f4. This lens starts at f1.8. If you are not entirely sure what f stops, apertures etc. really mean, in non-technical terms, the lower the f stop number, the more light gets into the lens. The more light that gets into the lens the more control you have over shutter speed. In practical terms that means you are going to get far better pictures in low light, nightclubs, bars, at dusk etc. With a standard zoom lens, in low light, the shutter speed will have to decrease in order to let the proper amount of light in. With the lower shutter speed you are very prone to fuzzy images due to camera shake, or the target moving. With this lens, you can have a much higher shutter speed meaning these things are less likely to happen and you have sharp, clear pictures.

The canon 55 prime (a prime lens just means that it has a fixed focal length, not a zoom) is a joy to use. It produces sharp, clear pictures, so although the lens in cheap it doesn't appear that Canon skimped on the quality of the glass inside. Auto focus is fast however I'm not huge fan of the manual focus ring, it seems quite loose and turns to infinity but it does do its job. With the lens being so light you don't even notice the difference in weight on your camera, its as if it doesn't exist.

I tested this lens out on a Canon EOS 70D with wonderful results and for the price you just cannot beat it. The Canon EF 50mm f1.4 lens for example costs 3 times as much. Whether you are just getting started in photography or have been doing it for years, this is a must have lens. You just can't beat the price/performance.
on July 1, 2014
If you just bought a DSLR and want to dabble in photography, this is a great lens to start off with. Although it is audibly slightly noisier than the $1000 f/1.4 version, it is still able to take marvelous shots with the ability to experiment with depth of field. In my experience, it's narrow field of view becomes a crutch at times, but I feel it does a great job of training your eye on how to frame shots well. Getting the 'entire picture' doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a good one.

Being able to stop down the lens to f/1.8 means you can shoot in lower light situations and still manage to get fantastic shots. The autofocus does struggle at times when you are in dim situations, so practice manually focusing, especially for indoor shots that are only illuminated by artificial lighting.

Aside from all the great things previously mentioned, this lens really shines when used for portrait shots. There is an acuteness to detail that none of my other average grade lens can attain and the subtleties of the image really pop. In addition, there is a slight softness felt in the image that makes the pictures you capture feel intimate. Pictures speak a thousand words so I'll upload a few pictures to demonstrate this better than I can describe.

In conclusion, for $100, this is one of the best lenses one can buy and even after you save up for months to purchase more expensive L lenses down the road, I'm sure you'll still be coming back to this one.
review image
on December 1, 2015
This is a story of the Good, Bad, and the Ugly!
First the Good. Believe all the five star ratings on the len Photo Quality, it's great. Also, Amazon's same day delivery is awesome and true!
Next the Bad. This lens is very poor Build quality. It is plastic and won't last!
Next the Ugly. Canon makes four 50mm lens for conventional photography! There is an okay lens (this one; 50mm f/1.8 II for about $105), a great lens (50mm f/1.8 STM for about $110), a super lens (50mm f/1.4 USM for about $329) and an awesome lens (50mm f/1.2 L USM for about $1,349). The ugly part is why would Canon produce two VERY similar lens for only about $5 difference? This is where I got confused from my Husband's description and bought the cheap plastic lens instead of the metal basal lens.
Bottom line, if you want the best lens for your money; get the EF50mm f/1.8 STM lens for about ($110).
on October 25, 2010
I understand I am comparing Fuji Apples to Gala Apples, but when I compare the image quality from this cheap, plastic-bodied prime lens to those from my several L-series Canon zooms, there is no contest: this lens outperforms. Now to those who say one cannot compare a prime to a zoom, I say: why not? Aren't we discussing image quality or are we discussing something else?
Given the very large images produced by modern DSLRs, I can crop the image from this 50mm and get the zoom effect I need given the minimum zoom of 50mm (times crop factor). I can also place this lens on my Elan 7 film camera and get spectacular results. I use this lens more and more and zoom using my physical zoom (feet) and digital zoom (Photoshop or Aperture or any image editing software). The results are always great. No, I cannot print to 40x60 inches if I crop from this lens, but I am not planning to do that anyway.
When I shoot a wedding (not bridal portraits, I use the 85mm prime for that) the photos made using this lens are always the best and always the favorites. I know it does not have the little red ring around it but that is just to show other photographers that you are hip and with it, not necessarily to get better images and certainly not based on the money-to-image-quality ratio. Nope, buying a more expensive camera or a more expensive lens will NOT make you a better photographer. Using a prime lens, however, like this very affordable option, will certainly improve your images.
The cons are obvious: low build quality. This means that the lens is likely to last for only ten years or so, judging by the fact that other Canon primes (and all Canon lenses in general) are notoriously and incredibly reliable (the more expensive f/1.4 version of this lens a notable exception, but still very, very, very reliable).
The sum of all my comments is but this: for the money, there is no finer nor more useful lens for your Canon EOS Camera.
on December 30, 2011
I am a complete beginner with digital photography. The only camera I've ever owned is a point and shoot type. I got a Canon T2i package for Christmas. The kit came with 18-55mm and 50-250mm zoom lenses. I also got a $50.00 Amazon.com gift certificate, which was burning a huge hole in my pocket as soon as I received it. So I googled "what accessory to buy for T2i". This lens came up frequently in the search results as a great all around lens, primarily because of its low f-stop setting, which allows a very shallow depth of field. If you don't know what this means, google it (like I did) and you will quickly understand why you're trading in your point and shoot for a new hobby. After a few days of study online (youtube has some great basic photography tutorials), I received this lens and began shooting people, flowers, pets, pens, TV remotes, oranges, noses, ears, eyes. This lens creates some very compelling photos. If you're new to DSLR and wondering whether or not to buy this lens, do it. You won't regret it.
on February 7, 2013
This review is targeted to new photographers and those a little more serious.

Having started out as a hobby photographer and transitioned to professional photography, I can safely say this is the most important lens to have. There are a few important things to know...

You need a kit lens with zoom range "just in case". Don't toss that lens. The wide aspect is very important and a special lens for wide shooting is one of the last lenses you'd get when building your kit. Yes, the 10-22mm is amazing, but if I need room in my bag, my 17-55 is just fine. This is especially true with the new kit lenses starting at 15mm.

That being said, you'll love this lens for everyday shooting. The most important factor is that wonderful f/1.8 number. This means that the lens can suck in a ridiculous amount of light. More light means less need for flash. Less need for flash means much more natural looking images. The awesome natural looking, well balanced, non-contrasty photos that you see are accomplished one of two ways: manually altered light with color tinted flashes/reflectors, or the lens was able to capture the natural light just fine. This lens is how you accomplish the latter. Obviously this is more convenient.

There is a side effect to this light gobbling advantage called bokeh. This is the crisp image where the camera focused and very blurred image everywhere else. There are many variables to this difference (called depth of field), but the "f" number is one of the main driving factors. Beautiful girl/child in the image with the background perfectly blurred to create a super professional looking image? No expensive camera needed. Not even an expensive lens needed. A decade old Canon Rebel and this lens can accomplish that look easily. Don't like that look? You change this "f" number (also called aperture) to a higher number and viola, you have a clear foreground and background. Keep in mind though, this directly impacts how much light the camera can grab.

Focus speed: This is important because people don't realize that this is where a lot of cost comes from. This lens can take a few moments to focus. Want something faster, but all of the other advantages? You're going to have to spend a couple hundred more for the Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM. Not for that fancy 0.4 difference in f stop, but those magical letters that say "USM" for ultra-sonic motor. I want to be clear, though. This is not a reason to not get this type of lens. Just want you to know where it stands. Want to switch to manual and focus faster? Definitely! The focus ring is small, but usable.

Quality: Yes, good glass is nice, but you're looking at a $100 lens for Pete's sake. Trust me, if you are able to notice a difference, you would have the budget to get a 1.2 anyways. I'm not saying you don't want quality, I'm saying that it takes that good of pictures where you shouldn't be considering this variable unless you're a pro. You're going to want to upgrade for the speed before you upgrade for picture quality.

Durability: I stands the test of time. Yeah, plastic, but you're not throwing your camera around either. Protect the glass like you would any other lens and you'll be fine.

Usability: For the amateurs, buy this lens, put your camera on "AP" mode (aperture), and set it to 2.0. Turn off the flash and set your ISO to 400. Take some pictures of people, objects, cute kittens, whatever, but make sure there is at least a few feet of space behind what your shooting. You'll want to sit down before you look at the results. You'll then realize that this is why you bought a DSLR because the pictures look great.

A little blurry? Look at the shutter speed of the picture you took (will be either 1/? or a decimal with ") If it's a number bigger than 1/50, increase the number of the ISO.

If that number is fine, it may be the focus. Remember that holding the shutter halfway locks in the focus (if you know the particular situation where this isn't true, keep it to yourself because this explanation obviously isn't for you anyways). That means you'll lose focus if you hold it halfway down and then you or the subject moves before you click the shutter.

Overall, a must. Get it. It'll make you smile. Just make sure to laugh when people look at your pictures and say "wow, you must have a really nice camera!". Those are the type of people that stick with the kit lens...