BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens (discontinued by manufacturer)
Style: Base|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on March 21, 2017
LOVE LOVE LOVE this lens. I received this lens when I purchased the Canon T4i (from Amazon) and have since upgraded to a Canon T6i and KEPT the 55-250 lens as my only lens! Although the naysayers will say that this is a AMATEUR lens or that it is not "good glass",I am in approximately 20 magazines a year and I have had centerfolds upon centerfolds printed in national magazines, so don't let the cheap price fool you....This is an excellent lens and it really boils down to what my mentor told me years ago- "If you have the "eye" for photography, you will make great photos"
review image
on November 24, 2014
I love this lens!! It's an awesome zoom! I consider myself intermediate level hobbyist, and I do photoshoots for people at no cost to give them family photos with better quality than mall studios. This lens is perfect for those who want the off-in-the-distance look in their photos, and I don't have to be ridiculously far to achieve it.

It's also great for when I photograph landscapes like the wild bluebonnets out here in the Texas countryside.

I do not have professional knowledge, so for pro's I would recommend looking in to reviews on canon's site... for hobbyists and those that are just looking for a decent zoom, this is a great option!
on June 9, 2011
I am not a professional photographer, I've always enjoyed taking pictures but until a few months ago I was stuck with point and shoot camera's from Canon. I bought a T2i off of Amazon with the 18/55mm lens hoping to get more into photography and get out more, but I quickly noticed I needed a something with better zoom for shots at a distance. This lens is an excellent addition. I really wanted to find a cheap lens, though after paying a grand for a camera when I barely know how to use it, that may sound counter productive.

Pro's: Price, capabilities, plug and play.
Con's: Noise, build quality, weight.

It doesn't seem that cheap, it appears to be identical to the stock 18/55mm lens, but the increased size gives it a less than solid feel - it's not flimsy, just doesn't feel super strong. It is also considerably heavier than the 18/55 lens, just from the feel in hand I'd say it's 3x the weight. It also seems to make a lot more noise when in AF than the smaller lens, I don't know if it's this particular unit or something else, but it's noticeable and borderline obnoxious.

Despite this, it's an excellent lens for a beginner like me, and well worth the price when added on to the price of the camera.
on October 29, 2013
I use this on a Canon t4i, and it is overall a pretty good lens. I have it on my camera most of the time because the 55-250mm range is pretty useful for everything and it produces quality shots.

The autofocus is accurate though not particularly fast. Zoom works well for either shots in the distance or something closer with a pretty good depth of field and bokeh if you can get nice and tight to the subject (close ups of flowers, for example.) Pictures generally look good and sharp.

I don't know if it's my own imagination, as I haven't done any real testing, but I feel like color saturation drops off in low light compared to my other lenses with the same settings and I occasionally have to tease out the color a bit in Lightroom.

It does also show some slight vignetting at certain f-stops and focal lengths. Not enough to really ruin a picture, but it can become apparent when adjusting contrast in Lightroom.

4/5 because it's a good, dependable lens, but doesn't blow me away. It's my go-to workhorse but not my favorite lens.
It's great for the price

Relatively cheap and very good addition to the standard 18-55mm. I bought it when I only had my 18-55mm (without IS) with my Xti.

Meanwhile I bought the 15-85mm which has lowered my need for this one a bit and the larger overlap makes the 40-60 range less awkward.
Even portraits with this lens look better than the original 18-55mm (mk I)
250mm requires steady hand or tripod but I've been able to make handheld shots throughout the range.

It's a bit slow for indoors but great for outdoors and candid shots. It's not super-heavy either.

The lens got stuck once but Canon repaired it free of charge (just shipping cost).

Own: Xti/T3i/18-55mm mk I, mk II, 15-85mm, 55-250mm, 50mm f1.8
on August 30, 2013
Fist off I am just a take a picture or two at family functions or vacations. I have had this lens for four months now and by no means am I a professional photographer. But when my nephew asked me if I would take his wedding pictures I thought that I should at least invest in a better lens than my Canon Rebel XTi camera came with (EFS 18-55mm). Wow this lens that I purchased gives you a whole new perspective on how pictures can really look with a different lens. The clarity of the images for me were a big difference from my stock lens. Crisp clear images. Still learning though but very very happy with my new lens. I find that I am now taking more pictures. Oh and my nephew and his new wife were very happy with the wedding pictures.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 31, 2010
I bought this lens at same time as the Canon T2i to pick up where the 18-55 kit lens leaves off, and have taken some very good photos with it.

However, I learned taking photos at the Patriots vs Rams pre-season game that I will never get "pro" quality photos at night, not even at professional football games where the lighting is very good to ensure tv viewers get good visibility. Even with ISO at 1600 I was able to manage a shutter speed of only 400 at f5.6, not enough to get crisp shots of moving players. Shots taken when there was a slow down or pause in the action were very good, even at the above mentioned settings, but when the players were moving rapidly, the shots were a little soft. Post processing made them very satisfactory for personal enjoyment, but not for more more ambitious use.

Earlier I might have given the lens a 4, maybe even a 3, because of my game experience, but since the game I have learned a lot about lenses and I now know that the relatively low-light photos I got were the best I could expect from this f4.0-5.6 lens. If I were going to shoot a lot of night sports, I would be saving for a 2.8 zoom lens, but they are very, very expensive for a good one. An f2.8 lens is a much faster lens than a 4-5.6

In day time settings, I have consistently gotten clear, sharp shots but have not yet tried shooting kiteboarders, something I enjoy doing. However, my expectation is that I will get good shots because I'll be shooting during the day and able to shoot at 800 at a minimum, more likely 1000.

I have been practicing taking sports photos by photographing the batters in action for several local teams. Two of these games were in the late afternoon and I was shooting at 5 pm or later in October, meaning that light was becoming low. For these shots I put the camera in Tv mode and set the shutter speed at 1000. ISO was on auto and the camera was allowed to select the best ISO up to a maximum of 1600. At this time of day, even in the autumn light, I got very crisp shots. Many required some processing to improve exposure, but the results were very satisfactory because the subjects were sharp. People to whom I have shown the photos said they were "great".

In summary, for what I do most of the time, this lens is excellent. And I really appreciate the image stabilizer. I can't imagine buying a lens without it since 98% of the shooting I do is hand held.
on March 8, 2017
I bought this for my wife for Christmas and she loves it. It is a good quality lens especially for the price. We had been priced out of a long lens for years, despite wanting one. This is one nice thing about having an older camera (Digital Rebel XT, purchased in 2007), the accessories come down in price along with the camera. While this lens may not be top of the line, professional grade, it works well for us taking nice crisp photos with that beautiful look you can only get from a long lens, especially good for portrait photography.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon December 22, 2012
I'm very pleased with this lens given the price. Although it won't give a Canon L lens a run for its money, it's reasonable fast and has a nice range. The build quality is very good for this price point. Both the zoom movement and focusing are smooth. The zoom marking are well-marked. While the mount is plastic rather than metal, this keeps the lens weight down, which is always something that I appreciate. Despite being plastic the mount and housing are more than sturdy enough for even the most avid amateur photographer.

The image stabilization works very well and is an essential feature to have unless you have rock-steady hands.

I find the image quality to be excellent at all zoom ranges except for when it's at its max range, but even then it's more than acceptable.

It's certainly not the best lens that Canon makes, but I don't think there's another zoom out there that can match this performance at this price. It's a great second lens if you have a crop sensor body (such as the Rebel series) and the 18-55mm zoom (which is a common kit lens). The pair provides a wide range of shooting opportunities at a very reasonable cost. Highly recommend.
on September 17, 2016
This is a well made Canon lens, but since purchasing this I have purchased a used Canon EOS M1 for $179.00 less the lens, with a $40.00 Fotodiox adapter which this lens can fit on. Then I purchased an EOS EF-M 18-55mm lens which fills in the gap. I love the M and will probably sell my t3i.