Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 403 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 541 reviews
on September 24, 2013
This lens is ideal for someone who maybe cannot afford a higher quality Canon lens, as at the price it is excellent value for money.

It does not have image stabilisation, but is light enough and balenced enough to hand hold fully extended at speeds as low as a 60th of a second without noticeable camera shake. There is some colour distortion and image distortion when used wide open, so I suggest f8, f11 when edge to edge image quality is at it's best.

I have used it both on a full frame and APS-C sensor body and found the increased focal length on the C-sensor to be very useful as it then acts as a 105mm to 480mm lens equivalent. However with the increased megapixels of the full frame body it is stil possible to crop centre sections of the image for enlargement to 10x8 or even 15x12 prints..

It has limitations on the speed of autofocus taking considerably longer than an L series lens, but with careful planning will give good results even with relatively quick subject movement.

In summary I would say if you just need an occasional mid tele zoom, or are on a budget you wont be disappointed if you use this lens carefully and within it's boundaries.
on April 3, 2016
I can't argue with the reviews here. Just an amateur looking to take some better photos of the deer in the yard, kids playing sports or getting awards, so the subject is not the dot in the center or blown up and blurry. This lens fits the bill. You will see in the photo a couple of branches in the foreground, it wanted to auto focus on them, the picture is taken with the manual focus. That pine is a solid 150 yards from me at full zoom on a tripod. If it matters to anyone, that photo is in full sunlight, with the full auto setting on a Canon EOS Rebel T4i. To me the cost is reasonable and it does what I want.
review image
on March 6, 2015
I purchased this lens for my 600d and returned it after a day. It wasn't horrible but the lack of sharpness and chromatic aberration was too much for me. The barrel distortion wide open was also pretty bad. If you are on a budget and have a full frame sensor, then I suppose you could get this lens although I would suggest just saving up. Because I have a crop sensor I went with the EF-S 55-250 STM IS. And I am very happy with that.
on August 31, 2017
I do recommend to you to invest a couple of hundred more, and het the 70-300 mm ultrasonic. The glass is way better and is faster.
on July 28, 2011
Well, I decided to give this lens a try. The enormous zoom range, a USM that promises quick and silent zooming (and generally better build quality in the Canon lineup), a very compact and light lens: This could be a dream package. Obviously, I didn't expect the same picture quality I get from a mid-market prime lens or a zoom professional lens. But the picture quality I got was so abysmal, I couldn't think of much use for this lens and returned it.

With the aperture open, the picture quality is useless. I could live with geometric distortion, but the chromatic aberration and some irregular fringing are so extreme that one thinks the camera is on LSD. With the aperture clamped down, the picture gets better, but the lens gets so slow it's useless without a tripod unless one is in full sunlight, and in full sunlight with its harsh edges flare becomes an issue.

I don't want to be too harsh on this poor lens. The same promise well-executed (the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM) costs eight times as much and weighs twice as much, and even there picture quality is an issue and the aperture doesn't open wide. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM solves that problem, but costs ten times as much, weights three times as much, is too heavy to shoot comfortably free-handed for longer sessions, looks professional enough to attract the attention of every security guard and thief nearby, and offers only two thirds the focal range. What Canon promises with this lens, a fairly extreme tele zoom for $200 with smooth focusing, is probably impossible to achieve with current technology.

I would recommend going for a prime lens instead. If Canon really wanted to do something good for beginners wanting a tele, they'd make an entry-level 150mm prime for around this price. Since they don't, I'd recommend the EF 100mm f/2 USM or, if you want to splurge, the EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM. The picture quality will be worlds better. (Both of these still don't have IS, but IS together with wide apertures and long focal lengths is expensive and bulky because the aperture is so big, and I'd prefer a wide aperture over IS if I can't have both.)

I you don't want to spend that sort of money, get the best lens you can with your camera and crop--you probably won't lose more detail by cropping than by using a tele that just doesn't work, and cropping is free. Let's say your one and only lens is the 50mm f/1.8--clearly the best choice if one can only have one lens that is to cost less than $350. With a modern 18MP camera (e.g., T2i), cropping to 200mm effective focal length will still leave you about 1.1MP, shot with the sweet spot in the center of an excellent lens, and that's enough for displaying it on a screen or a print at normal sizes.
on December 9, 2015
Just in time for graduation, being 200 yards away in the bleachers, I've got beautiful close up shots of my child's beautiful expressions and smiles during the whole cerimony. Solid, fluid, great lense, very happy with it, shipping was fast.
on March 14, 2014
I ordered this for Christmas, but didn't need it until June.
I'm glad I planned ahead because it was to be shipped from Georgia! At the time, Georgia was a bit busy trying to deal with the snow storm that, essentially shut it down. Both Amazon and UPS were excellent with their updates and communication. I am still getting familiar with the lens itself but it's pretty awesome to be able to get a photo of a hawk sitting in the neighbors tree over an acre away...from inside the house!
on January 8, 2012
I recently purchased this to use in conjunction with my Canon T2i and love it. I'm a novice camera user, and this is my first telephoto and found it incredibly easy to use. I could see where complaints would come for the expansion when zooming, and when using it with a lens hood, it's pretty long. However, it's a very inexpensive lens and it took great pictures on my recent vacation (posted in the photos section). I was able to sit on the beach and take pictures of my kids playing in the water and be right in the action. Combine the usefullness with the amazing price and the lens is a 5-star value.
review image review image
on February 20, 2017
I love this lens! I already owned one before ordering this one so I was already sold on it. Most people use this lens for distant scenes but I have learned that it takes absolutely gorgeous up close flower photos without me having to get onto the ground. I love that it pulls the flowers in so beautifully. I also like to use this lens at the beach for capturing the birds .
on May 28, 2013
If you want a long lens at a cheap price, I guess this is your ticket. If you care enough about photography to own a DSLR, though, you might not like the results.

I was shooting all my telephoto shots on the Canon 70-200 4.0 (excellent lens), but wanted something a bit longer to shoot surfers from the beach. I bought this and went to test it on swimmers at a triathlon. The sharpness (lack of) is just nasty, even with full sun and high shutter speeds. Obvious color fringing around edges. For shallow depth-of-field shots, background blur isn't particularly pleasing.

I love Canon, but mostly this lens will be dedicated to Mexico trips...and I won't be heartbroken if it gets stolen.