Beauty Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 29, 2012
I am not a professional. I am just a mom. 99% of the photos I take are of my children. Before purchasing this lens, I only had the kit lens and one prime lens. I wanted a lens that would allow me to zoom in a bit so that I could snap photos of my children playing without having to be right up on them. This is the perfect lens for that. I shot my son's first Little League game this past weekend while I was in the stands and he was in the outfield. I got some of the most excellent shots showing his true emotions, because he wasn't posing. he didn't see me right up on him taking photos. I can't afford a $1,000-2,000 lens so this was the perfect price and I have gotten tons of compliments on the shots. I even shot most of them on manual using the sports setting (I have a Canon Rebel). A lot of them were taken through a little hole in the fence.
39 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 18, 2014
First off I'm going to say that I bought this lens used for $100. I read plenty of reviews and most of them talked about how the amount of sharpness gets really low when you get around 300mm. This is true. From my testing, 75-200mm seems to be the sweet spots for this lens. I shot a few pictures out in the woods at 75mm f/4 of my Dad and the bokeh was pretty awesome. I also shot some pictures of birds at 300mm and it's just very unsharp the second you crop. The only way I've found to get good bird shots is to be really close to them. This is very difficult unless you're at a popular park where the birds are fairly used to humans. Here is a picture I took at 300mm and is only very slightly cropped [...] I was only a few feet from this bird. As you can see it's a sharp image due to VERY minimal cropping. It is difficult to fill the frame with these little birds let alone get close to them. Here is another bird at the same exact place [...] This was shot at 155mm, it was at Clingman's Dome in Gatlinburg which is a very popular place which makes these birds fairly used to humans. I put down some nuts right next to myself and it walked right up and took them and that's how I got this picture.

Pros and Cons

Pros:
Takes great portraits at 75mm
Very inexpensive for what it is
Fairly well built for the price

Cons:
You lose almost all sharpness once you crop above 250mm
The zooming is not very smooth

Overall, who would I recommend this to?

I would recommend this to any beginner photographer who wants to take pictures of their family or friends that may also enjoying wildlife photography. This would also be a great lens for someone who doesn't really care much about photography but wants a nice zoom lens to sit on their porch and take pictures of wildlife from far away (birds, deer, etc)

TL;DR: Overall great value, absolutely worth the buy.
8 people found this helpful
on October 6, 2015
I've been using my 75-300 for a couple years now and have had zero problems with it. I shoot for newspapers, so my equipment gets a real workout under (sometimes) lousy conditions. I shoot in the rain, snow, dust, smoke (when I'm covering fires) and pretty much every weather imaginable. This lens -- while not exactly on a par with some of those big, white monsters you see the sports journalists using -- is probably more than most casual shooters will ever need. And the price is certainly nice.
5 people found this helpful
on April 7, 2014
This is a cheap lens and it does a good job for the price. The autofocus is noisy and when zoomed in really far it shakes the lens quite a bit. Because the aperture only opens to 4.0/f you need really good light or you'll get a lot of noise in your photos. Honestly, though, I like this lens a lot. I use it to take photos of the moon and it is fantastic.
34 people found this helpful
on April 16, 2013
I was very disappointed in the reviews, and I had decided not to purchase this lens, but then I read the review by John Nolley II. After reading his review, I purchased it. I have had it for a few days now, and I am very happy with it. I have not found any focus problems. It acts exactly like my Canon 55-250mm Telephoto lens. Most of my shots (about 99%) are Nature and Landscape. Every now and then I photograph my grandchildren playing sports. My first test of the lens was shooting birds in my backyard. They do not sit still very long, so I was constantly focusing and refocusing, and it was fast enough for me. I see no difference at all with the operation of this lens and my Canon 55-250mm. The only thing it does lack is Image Stabilization. I found myself turning the Image Stabilized button off for most shots with my 55-250mm, and I always use a tripod anyway, so it is not needed for me.
Thank you John, I would not have purchased this lens had it not been for your review.
By the way, I was able to sell my used 55-250mm on ebay for $107 minus $9 shipping & insurance costs (sold in a few hours), so I figure this lens cost me about $30.oo Net!
I absolutely love this lens.
5 people found this helpful
on November 18, 2016
This was an open box item from Amazon Warehouse Deals. I've bought items with a used status from Amazon Warehouse before and took a chance on this. Lens works perfectly, they repacked it well and I'm happy that I took the chance. 80% off other advertised prices, can' t beat the price.Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
2 people found this helpful
on April 28, 2013
I have recently purchased a T4i and this lens as an add on for it. It was within my limited budget and I was worried that I would regret the lack of image stabilization. I do not. This lens takes amazing canon lens quality photos. I would have some remarkable images of squirrels but I forgot to put the SD card in. Baring that, I do live near a small airport, and have some great pictures of pilots in their planes. They came out amazing from over 1/2 a mile away I was able to read the numbers on the side of the plane. Also bird pictures are very sharp. I photographed a woodpecker about 35' away and was able to crop out a very detailed and sharp image of his head. The contrast of colors is very good. I have not tried the lens at night, and this may be where I wished I had the shelled out the extra money for the IS version. But my night vision ain't what it used to be so if I can't see it's there to begin with I don't know to zoom in on it.
This lens is well worth the money spent. For a beginner you can't beat the price or value it has when it comes to familiarizing yourself with the camera. I feel this was a great investment. It works terrific during the day and I have some amazing photos of my boys playing baseball that were previously impossible with point and click cameras.
3 people found this helpful
on May 29, 2013
My wife was impressed and I thought I did a good job researching and picking it. Takes great pictures. A tripod is a must for this lens because it will be blurry if you try to focus and hold it steady. I am not a photographer, I just like taking pictures. I went on a few sites and found Amazon had the best price by far. Good luck. This is a good quality lens and it totally blew the wife away. Looks like I spent big bucks when I didn't. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because the zoom lens has its limitations. You can't see as far as I would have like to. I see the birds clearly from across the yard which is about 180 feet from one end to the other. I wish I could see further but every lens has its limitations. I really can't complain because it does what it says and furthermore it is my wife's toy now. I will now have to get my own which will probably be a bit stronger power but I say get it for the beginner if that's what you do. You will always be able to sell it or trade it for something larger when that time comes and you outgrow it. I don't know technical specs, I just know how to point and shoot. Anybody who can assist me with it can send me a email. I appreciate your help. G
One person found this helpful
on September 7, 2013
I bought this lens used with the intent of using it my school's sporting events. Without IS (image stabilization) the pictures come out blurry under certain circumstances, this annoys me but I have compensated. The zoom on the other hand is amazing, and what pictures that do come out look stunning. If you plan on using this lens for sports please consider the lens that is a step up which is the Canon EF 75-300MM F4-5.6 III (IS) Telephoto zoom lens. That lens includes the Image Stabilizer I mentioned earlier. If you plan on using this in full sun or with flash then this is a great lens. I will probably end up using my tripod instead of investing in another lens, because under other conditions this lens rocks!
4 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on March 1, 2011
I understand that the relative low price of this lens implies that the overall quality is more economical, but I never expected the lens cap ring to just break after a relatively short period of ownership. I cannot even justify blaming it on wear and tear. One day I open my camera bag, remove this lens to swap it in, and - woops - the lens cap is not attached and there are scratches all over the glass. It simply broke while randomly setting the bag down or picking it up, or somewhen.

Now, I made a decent number of average to great photographs with this lens during its short life, but I am certainly disappointed in the unexpected failure in the cheap manufacture of this product. That any item - be it a camera lens, a toaster, a car, a 3-ring binder - worth any amount of money could fail in such a pathetic manner is unacceptable from a quality control perspective.

I can add that after an even shorter period of ownership (inside one year) the zoom ring began sounding and feeling a bit gritty, as if there were sand in it, though I had never buried my camera underground, nonetheless taken it to a beach or the like.

Regardless of what kind of photographer you are, please invest in something better than $150 telephoto lens. I can write off the loss of this lens since I made photos with it that are more valuable than the lens itself, but I don't recommend wasting money on it. It will just end up in a landfill sooner than later.

Whomp.