Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 18, 2016
This was an open box item from Amazon Warehouse Deals. I've bought items with a used status from Amazon Warehouse before and took a chance on this. Lens works perfectly, they repacked it well and I'm happy that I took the chance. 80% off other advertised prices, can' t beat the price.Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
on March 25, 2016
Great lens! this lens was supposed to come in a bundle that i purchased earlier but was missing. However then lens is great and as soon as i got it i was outside taking photos with my Canon EOS Rebel SL1 and my NEW Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lens!

definitely recommended for the price and quality of this product. good for beginning photographers that can handle a high quality lens but also good for more experienced photographers that need a lens that isnt too extreme on telephoto but isnt macro
review image review image
on December 23, 2010
I own several top quality Canon 'L' Lenses, so I am used to using the very best lenses.
The instructions for this lens state: 'Do not focus in MF [Manual Focusing] when the focus mode is set to AF [Auto Focus].'
The top of the line Canon Lenses allow you to tweak the focus Manually after the Auto Focus has done the best it can.
The Auto Focus is slower than that of 'L' lenses.

I captured a shot of the moon and the color aberrations on the on the edges of the moon were quite visible when the images where viewed at 100%.
This is not a professional quality lens which costs $1,000 more than this lens.
The lens at 300 mm f/5.6 is 6 stops slower than the f/2.8 lens, meaning the exposure time must be 6 times longer than the f/2.8 'L' lens.
This is not a lens to shoot Weddings in a dark Church where flash is not permitted. This is not a lens to capture car races.

Used outdoors in sunlight, this lens is quite acceptable. Do you want to take a photo of your child at bat in a day baseball game?
This lens will meet your needs at $1,000 less than an 'L' quality lens.
If you didn't understand what I mentioned about color aberration, and you don't use manual focus tweaking, and you don't want to 'freeze frame' fast motion, and you don't have a creative effect in mind that requires the lens open more than f5.6, this lens is a very cost effective lens.

As a final note, while I own other Canon lenses that cost about 10 times as much as this lens, I am keeping this lens with a complete understanding of the limits of when I may use the lens effectively.
It is a great value for the money!
review image
44 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2013
I have recently purchased a T4i and this lens as an add on for it. It was within my limited budget and I was worried that I would regret the lack of image stabilization. I do not. This lens takes amazing canon lens quality photos. I would have some remarkable images of squirrels but I forgot to put the SD card in. Baring that, I do live near a small airport, and have some great pictures of pilots in their planes. They came out amazing from over 1/2 a mile away I was able to read the numbers on the side of the plane. Also bird pictures are very sharp. I photographed a woodpecker about 35' away and was able to crop out a very detailed and sharp image of his head. The contrast of colors is very good. I have not tried the lens at night, and this may be where I wished I had the shelled out the extra money for the IS version. But my night vision ain't what it used to be so if I can't see it's there to begin with I don't know to zoom in on it.
This lens is well worth the money spent. For a beginner you can't beat the price or value it has when it comes to familiarizing yourself with the camera. I feel this was a great investment. It works terrific during the day and I have some amazing photos of my boys playing baseball that were previously impossible with point and click cameras.
on May 29, 2013
My wife was impressed and I thought I did a good job researching and picking it. Takes great pictures. A tripod is a must for this lens because it will be blurry if you try to focus and hold it steady. I am not a photographer, I just like taking pictures. I went on a few sites and found Amazon had the best price by far. Good luck. This is a good quality lens and it totally blew the wife away. Looks like I spent big bucks when I didn't. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because the zoom lens has its limitations. You can't see as far as I would have like to. I see the birds clearly from across the yard which is about 180 feet from one end to the other. I wish I could see further but every lens has its limitations. I really can't complain because it does what it says and furthermore it is my wife's toy now. I will now have to get my own which will probably be a bit stronger power but I say get it for the beginner if that's what you do. You will always be able to sell it or trade it for something larger when that time comes and you outgrow it. I don't know technical specs, I just know how to point and shoot. Anybody who can assist me with it can send me a email. I appreciate your help. G
on March 27, 2009
This is a "cheap" telephoto lens for a "cheap" camera but both are excellent if you remember not to expect too much - it works great for what I need it for but have to remember I'm not going to get wonderful shots with movement, especially sports and other action shots - for the price of the camera and the lens I'm very satisfied - in fact, very, VERY satisfied - if I want something professional I'll have to spend a lot more money - would recommend the Canon Rebel EOS and this zoom lens to anyone, novice or pro - just don't expect to have Sports Illustrated quality photos . . . and remember to hold it as steady as you can!
on February 11, 2015
This telephoto lens was a good purchase for me. I have used it from personal photography to wedding photography and think that the range is what has kept me from selling it. I can photograph the bride and groom from the back of the church or capture a bird in a tree that is invisible without binoculars. Great lens for the price and works well with the Canon Rebel Xsi.
on March 20, 2017
Good for the price. The image quality is good, but the auto focus sometime doesn't work. Have to take out and reattach and maybe turn off power and on. It then maybe work.
on October 11, 2016
I was apprehensive purchasing a lens online, but this was packed well and sent swiftly. I really like this lens and it has become one of my "go-to" lenses.
on September 7, 2013
I bought this lens used with the intent of using it my school's sporting events. Without IS (image stabilization) the pictures come out blurry under certain circumstances, this annoys me but I have compensated. The zoom on the other hand is amazing, and what pictures that do come out look stunning. If you plan on using this lens for sports please consider the lens that is a step up which is the Canon EF 75-300MM F4-5.6 III (IS) Telephoto zoom lens. That lens includes the Image Stabilizer I mentioned earlier. If you plan on using this in full sun or with flash then this is a great lens. I will probably end up using my tripod instead of investing in another lens, because under other conditions this lens rocks!