Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 608 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 801 reviews
on April 7, 2014
This is a cheap lens and it does a good job for the price. The autofocus is noisy and when zoomed in really far it shakes the lens quite a bit. Because the aperture only opens to 4.0/f you need really good light or you'll get a lot of noise in your photos. Honestly, though, I like this lens a lot. I use it to take photos of the moon and it is fantastic.
on February 10, 2014
If you are on a budget and on the consumer end of the prosumer spectrum, like me... and, like me, you still want a good, cheap zoom lens. This is it. (Save extra buying the bulk packaging version)
Now, if you are more on the pro end of the prosumer spectrum, you probably know to look for a lens with USM and IS.
If you buy this lens, be aware that you'll have to use your tripod in low light situations... there's no IS on this lens.
It's a lens best used outside with plenty of day light, hey... it's an f/4-5.6, so no surprise there.
Good glass though, I've achieved better pictures with this lens than the with the 35-80 which is also f/4-5.6
on June 18, 2014
First off I'm going to say that I bought this lens used for $100. I read plenty of reviews and most of them talked about how the amount of sharpness gets really low when you get around 300mm. This is true. From my testing, 75-200mm seems to be the sweet spots for this lens. I shot a few pictures out in the woods at 75mm f/4 of my Dad and the bokeh was pretty awesome. I also shot some pictures of birds at 300mm and it's just very unsharp the second you crop. The only way I've found to get good bird shots is to be really close to them. This is very difficult unless you're at a popular park where the birds are fairly used to humans. Here is a picture I took at 300mm and is only very slightly cropped [...] I was only a few feet from this bird. As you can see it's a sharp image due to VERY minimal cropping. It is difficult to fill the frame with these little birds let alone get close to them. Here is another bird at the same exact place [...] This was shot at 155mm, it was at Clingman's Dome in Gatlinburg which is a very popular place which makes these birds fairly used to humans. I put down some nuts right next to myself and it walked right up and took them and that's how I got this picture.

Pros and Cons

Pros:
Takes great portraits at 75mm
Very inexpensive for what it is
Fairly well built for the price

Cons:
You lose almost all sharpness once you crop above 250mm
The zooming is not very smooth

Overall, who would I recommend this to?

I would recommend this to any beginner photographer who wants to take pictures of their family or friends that may also enjoying wildlife photography. This would also be a great lens for someone who doesn't really care much about photography but wants a nice zoom lens to sit on their porch and take pictures of wildlife from far away (birds, deer, etc)

TL;DR: Overall great value, absolutely worth the buy.
on August 2, 2017
I got this lens as a Prime Day deal from Amazon Warehouse and I'm so happy I did. I've wanted a telephoto for a while, and this is on the lower range in terms of price, so great for a photographer on a budget. It is a bigger lens, so a tripod may be helpful with this, but if you have a steady hand and are used to heavier/larger lenses, you can get some really nice results without one. This is my first time owning a telephoto and I took it out to a butterfly garden at one of the local museums. I was pleasantly surprised with how quick the lens was and the level of detail I was able to get without being at all close to the subject. I'm still learning the nuances of the lens and how to get the best results with it but, if you're on a budget, this is a solid addition to your lens collection.
review image
on November 18, 2016
This was an open box item from Amazon Warehouse Deals. I've bought items with a used status from Amazon Warehouse before and took a chance on this. Lens works perfectly, they repacked it well and I'm happy that I took the chance. 80% off other advertised prices, can' t beat the price.Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
on March 25, 2016
Great lens! this lens was supposed to come in a bundle that i purchased earlier but was missing. However then lens is great and as soon as i got it i was outside taking photos with my Canon EOS Rebel SL1 and my NEW Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lens!

definitely recommended for the price and quality of this product. good for beginning photographers that can handle a high quality lens but also good for more experienced photographers that need a lens that isnt too extreme on telephoto but isnt macro
review image review image
on April 28, 2013
I have recently purchased a T4i and this lens as an add on for it. It was within my limited budget and I was worried that I would regret the lack of image stabilization. I do not. This lens takes amazing canon lens quality photos. I would have some remarkable images of squirrels but I forgot to put the SD card in. Baring that, I do live near a small airport, and have some great pictures of pilots in their planes. They came out amazing from over 1/2 a mile away I was able to read the numbers on the side of the plane. Also bird pictures are very sharp. I photographed a woodpecker about 35' away and was able to crop out a very detailed and sharp image of his head. The contrast of colors is very good. I have not tried the lens at night, and this may be where I wished I had the shelled out the extra money for the IS version. But my night vision ain't what it used to be so if I can't see it's there to begin with I don't know to zoom in on it.
This lens is well worth the money spent. For a beginner you can't beat the price or value it has when it comes to familiarizing yourself with the camera. I feel this was a great investment. It works terrific during the day and I have some amazing photos of my boys playing baseball that were previously impossible with point and click cameras.
on December 23, 2010
I own several top quality Canon 'L' Lenses, so I am used to using the very best lenses.
The instructions for this lens state: 'Do not focus in MF [Manual Focusing] when the focus mode is set to AF [Auto Focus].'
The top of the line Canon Lenses allow you to tweak the focus Manually after the Auto Focus has done the best it can.
The Auto Focus is slower than that of 'L' lenses.

I captured a shot of the moon and the color aberrations on the on the edges of the moon were quite visible when the images where viewed at 100%.
This is not a professional quality lens which costs $1,000 more than this lens.
The lens at 300 mm f/5.6 is 6 stops slower than the f/2.8 lens, meaning the exposure time must be 6 times longer than the f/2.8 'L' lens.
This is not a lens to shoot Weddings in a dark Church where flash is not permitted. This is not a lens to capture car races.

Used outdoors in sunlight, this lens is quite acceptable. Do you want to take a photo of your child at bat in a day baseball game?
This lens will meet your needs at $1,000 less than an 'L' quality lens.
If you didn't understand what I mentioned about color aberration, and you don't use manual focus tweaking, and you don't want to 'freeze frame' fast motion, and you don't have a creative effect in mind that requires the lens open more than f5.6, this lens is a very cost effective lens.

As a final note, while I own other Canon lenses that cost about 10 times as much as this lens, I am keeping this lens with a complete understanding of the limits of when I may use the lens effectively.
It is a great value for the money!
review image
44 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2013
I was very disappointed in the reviews, and I had decided not to purchase this lens, but then I read the review by John Nolley II. After reading his review, I purchased it. I have had it for a few days now, and I am very happy with it. I have not found any focus problems. It acts exactly like my Canon 55-250mm Telephoto lens. Most of my shots (about 99%) are Nature and Landscape. Every now and then I photograph my grandchildren playing sports. My first test of the lens was shooting birds in my backyard. They do not sit still very long, so I was constantly focusing and refocusing, and it was fast enough for me. I see no difference at all with the operation of this lens and my Canon 55-250mm. The only thing it does lack is Image Stabilization. I found myself turning the Image Stabilized button off for most shots with my 55-250mm, and I always use a tripod anyway, so it is not needed for me.
Thank you John, I would not have purchased this lens had it not been for your review.
By the way, I was able to sell my used 55-250mm on ebay for $107 minus $9 shipping & insurance costs (sold in a few hours), so I figure this lens cost me about $30.oo Net!
I absolutely love this lens.
on October 6, 2015
I've been using my 75-300 for a couple years now and have had zero problems with it. I shoot for newspapers, so my equipment gets a real workout under (sometimes) lousy conditions. I shoot in the rain, snow, dust, smoke (when I'm covering fires) and pretty much every weather imaginable. This lens -- while not exactly on a par with some of those big, white monsters you see the sports journalists using -- is probably more than most casual shooters will ever need. And the price is certainly nice.